Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornsilverandblue

Interesting argument for doing away with divisions

57 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Add Air Force. I know they are in the front range but Air Force gives the conference a nationwide fan base and the military schools are respected programs by the Power 5 conferences. Plus it gives you nine teams and a perfect round robin schedule.

left coast conference 

boise

air force

fresno

sdsu

unlv

nevada

byu

utah st.

hawaii

air force football only

air force pay travel subs

45 minutes ago, kalua pig said:

left coast conference 

boise

air force

fresno

sdsu

unlv

nevada

byu

utah st.

hawaii

air force football only

air force pay travel subs

kalua pig has decided to allow air force to join in all sports.left coast conference does not discriminate like the mwc does.

I really wish the MW had protected rivalries. Boise having a 2 year gap for the Battle of the  Milk Can is a bummer. Also, we definitely need a trophy for the Nevada game as well. I mean,  it’s the longest running series for us. Whether it’s a trophy of a shortened field goal post or an old lady walker, it needs to happen!

16 hours ago, Bulldog1 said:

Man get out of here with stupid chit. 

You want to know what is "stupid chit"? A Fresno State fan saying that UNLV should be one of their protected rivalries in football. That's what I was pointing out as being idiotic. As far as SJSU and Fresno State, the only problem with the rivalry is that it has been quite a long time since both schools have fielded strong teams at the same time (with SJSU being to blame for that). The history has shown that when both programs have had simultaneous runs of success, the rivalry has elevated to very intense levels. I'm old enough to remember when the contest between the schools was THE game on the schedule, and both fan bases marked the date of the game on their calendars. Never, and I mean never, has anyone ever underlined a football game between Fresno State and UNLV as being of any greater significance than any other run of the mill game on the schedule. To suggest UNLV should be protected rivalry for Fresno State football is, well, some stupid chit. Given that (as you admitted) you went back and changed UNLV to Hawaii, proves what an idiotic choice UNLV was.

Champ Logo.jpg

8 hours ago, jonnyflingspoo said:

I really wish the MW had protected rivalries. Boise having a 2 year gap for the Battle of the  Milk Can is a bummer. Also, we definitely need a trophy for the Nevada game as well. I mean,  it’s the longest running series for us. Whether it’s a trophy of a shortened field goal post or an old lady walker, it needs to happen!

Well you can always go back to the WAC and restart FBS football there.

Doubt anyone would follow.   Besides BSU chose to be in the Mtn Division.

I would do Pods as follows:

Fresno: SDSU, Hawaii, SJSU

SDSU: Fresno, UNLV, SJSU

SJSU: Fresno, SDSU, Utah State

Nevada: Boise, UNLV, Utah State

Wyoming: C State, Air Force, Hawaii

C State: Wyoming, Air Force, New Mexico

New Mexico: C State, Air Force

Boise: Utah State, Nevada, Hawaii

Hawaii: Fresno, UNLV, Boise State

UNLV: Nevada, Hawaii, SDSU

Utah State: Boise, Nevada, SJSU

3 hours ago, Mike Morgan said:

The topic is football pairing, not basketball or baseball. You chose UNLV to be a protected rival for Fresno State in football instead of San Jose State. Can you provide three great meaningful games in the history between Fresno State and UNLV that would justify the two being protected rivals? Can you name a single game between the two in which a conference championship was on the line for both teams? Rivalries in college football are based in history. What in the football history between Fresno State and UNLV would lead one to the conclusion that theirs is a rivalry at all, let alone one that should be protected?

You want to know what is "stupid chit"? A Fresno State fan saying that UNLV should be one of their protected rivalries in football. That's what I was pointing out as being idiotic. As far as SJSU and Fresno State, the only problem with the rivalry is that it has been quite a long time since both schools have fielded strong teams at the same time (with SJSU being to blame for that). The history has shown that when both programs have had simultaneous runs of success, the rivalry has elevated to very intense levels. I'm old enough to remember when the contest between the schools was THE game on the schedule, and both fan bases marked the date of the game on their calendars. Never, and I mean never, has anyone ever underlined a football game between Fresno State and UNLV as being of any greater significance than any other run of the mill game on the schedule. To suggest UNLV should be protected rivalry for Fresno State football is, well, some stupid chit. Given that (as you admitted) you went back and changed UNLV to Hawaii, proves what an idiotic choice UNLV was.

Mike, what you said is posted on the board. You can't backtrack and try to change what you said. Your point wasn't that I picked UNLV (like your now saying), your point was that I picked UNLV instead of San Jose. So your comparing the two and saying it would benefit Fresno St. fans and our football program more having San Jose St. on our schedule every year more than it would having UNLV. So lets see UNLV football upside/potential = road trip every other year in a brand new state of the art NFL stadium in Sin City which Fresno has a direct 1hour flight to. Their potential to hire the right coach and to recruit to that city and that NFL stadium is off the charts. San Jose St. football upside/potential = play in half a stadium because you demoed the other half. Conference Commissioner mentions contraction so we might be kicking you out of the conference. San Jose St. might announce their dropping the football program and leaving the conference. This sure don't help your recruiting any. So UNLV is not an idiotic pick, might not be top 3 for FS depending on the fan but beats San Jose St. You can't win Mike get over it.

m_85966f993371c1964e647092f6dc3afd.gif

"Bulldog Born, Bulldog Bred, Bulldog Till The Day I'm Dead"

San Diego State: Following in Fresno State's Shadow Since 1911.

21 hours ago, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

Yep. I'm a CSU fan(and former A.D.) and I can tell you from first hand experience they would rather play CSU, AFA, and fill in the blank for the third(probably USU or UNM).

Hawaii....front range schools could care less about Hawaii. Hawaii's rivals would be Tonga, Tahiti, and Guam.

The feeling is mutual.  I finally did go to Denver, first time, this year and the front range feels more akin to the Midwest.

We like playing our WAC friends (post airport meeting).  Left Coast.

That said, I hope we getting on better terms with everyone.  I know in the beginning there was a lot of shit talk in the conference meetings behind our backs.  Hoping we can be an asset to the conference and vice versa.

1 hour ago, Bulldog1 said:

Mike, what you said is posted on the board. You can't backtrack and try to change what you said. Your point wasn't that I picked UNLV (like your now saying), your point was that I picked UNLV instead of San Jose. So your comparing the two and saying it would benefit Fresno St. fans and our football program more having San Jose St. on our schedule every year more than it would having UNLV. So lets see UNLV football upside/potential = road trip every other year in a brand new state of the art NFL stadium in Sin City which Fresno has a direct 1hour flight to. Their potential to hire the right coach and to recruit to that city and that NFL stadium is off the charts. San Jose St. football upside/potential = play in half a stadium because you demoed the other half. Conference Commissioner mentions contraction so we might be kicking you out of the conference. San Jose St. might announce their dropping the football program and leaving the conference. This sure don't help your recruiting any. So UNLV is not an idiotic pick, might not be top 3 for FS depending on the fan but beats San Jose St. You can't win Mike get over it.

My point, which you're clearly having trouble comprehending, is that your listing UNLV as a potential protected rival, rather than San Jose State simply silly. In order for a school to have a protected rivalry, there first has to actually be a rivalry. In football, there is zero rivalry between Fresno State and UNLV. Never has been, and probably never will be. You can pretend that there is no rivalry between Fresno State and San Jose State, but the obsession for all things SJSU displayed by Bulldogs fans on this site proves otherwise. Do we need to do a comparison of the number of Fresno State fans that have traveled to San Jose State with the numbers that have traveled to UNLV? Betting on UNLV football to somehow become some titan within the MWC by virtue of their being a distant second fiddle tenant in the Raiders stadium is a total crap shoot. It's pure speculation that the move from the Silver Bowl to the Raiders stadium will significantly improve UNLV's football program. Sure, there will be an uptick in attendance, but the novelty may soon wear thin if the product on the field is the same ol' same ol' UNLV football we've seen up to now. Craig Thompson never mentioned San Jose State or any other MWC member school when he said that contraction was more likely than expansion. Contraction could also include current members departing of their own accord should offers from other conferences come about. Boise State and San Diego State haven't been shy about showing their desires to leave the MWC. The demolition of the east stands at CEFCU Stadium is merely the initial phase in a $40m upgrade to the stadium. That's a $40m investment in the future of the football program. So, any talk of SJSU dropping football any time soon is nonsense. 

Champ Logo.jpg

20 hours ago, Mike Morgan said:

Long, meandering argument

As to your point about protected rivals: the thing about what at this point is merely a thought experiment (though I would truly love to see it happen) is that different fans will see different schools as a potential protected rival.  Depending on the Wyoming fan you talk to, the 3rd could be UNM, Hawaii, Utah St, or fill-in-the-blank.  Nevada’s third could be Utah St (we used to play them every rivalry week in the old Big West), Fresno St (in the Ault days, the players from each school knew each other well enough that it was a huge rivalry internally), or SDSU (something about thorns in sides).  I personally side with Utah St because they’ve been a big rival, to a greater or lesser extent, for decades.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg