Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

One of The All-Time Best Rock Songs

1 hour ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Shit, I listen to 60s-70s rock, Motley Crue, 80s hip hop, gangster rap, Grunge...even some old country like Johnny Cash and Glen Campbell...but yeah, bands like Boston and Journey (with the exception of “Lights”) suck farts. We’ll have to agree to disagree NC.

Never liked Journey but the debut Boston album was great; everyone played the shit out of that in college.

Their problem, like so many other's, is recreating that magic. Not many can do it year after year.

28 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Never liked Journey but the debut Boston album was great; everyone played the shit out of that in college.

Their problem, like so many other's, is recreating that magic. Not many can do it year after year.

It's amazing how great the first two albums were, and then later in life he couldn't and still can't write a good song to save his life. It's was a brief time of magic, 1975 to around 1980. Third stage was alright, but nothing like the other 2. The first album was recorded from 1975-76, released in 1976, and DLB was released in 1978. The best songs on 3rd Stage were ready in 1980 for the next release, but Tom's lawsuit with Epic Records took 6 years to resolve, so it wasn't released until 1986 back on MCA. It was a darker, a bit sluggish, less organic (triggered drum samples had a lot to do with that) and had a few songs for the first time that Scholz and Delp didn't write together. 

Journey's Infinity Album recorded in 1977, was their best album IMHO. 'Patiently' & 'Winds of March'? 'Lights' & 'Wheel In the Sky'? Incredible. 

The problem is bands usually want to move on to a different sound, and when changing every album for awhile doesn't go as well as the original sound, they try to get back to it, and they can't get the magic back. A lot of times it comes down to the early album producer, too. Listen to the demo's of great songs before they were produced and re-recorded, and you'll see how much a producer and even engineer influence the songs on the record. Some of those demo's where pretty bad. 

kat.jpg

I like most of Journeys songs...grew up in the 70's and 80's.  Not a huge fan of Boston and I know this will catch me some crap but the Beatles weren't very good imho.  I like early rock and roll from the 50's and some of the 60's but not a fan of the late 60's and 70's overall. 

17 hours ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Shit, I listen to 60s-70s rock, Motley Crue, 80s hip hop, gangster rap, Grunge...even some old country like Johnny Cash and Glen Campbell...but yeah, bands like Boston and Journey (with the exception of “Lights”) suck farts. We’ll have to agree to disagree NC.

Which bands do you consider Grunge?  

down in a hole.jpg

1 hour ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Tad, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Meat Puppets, Mudhoney, etc. 

I agree.  I think Alice in Chains was more heavier than grunge.

down in a hole.jpg

On 10/3/2019 at 5:35 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Some of you guys need to be a bit more diverse in music styles. I like all kinds of music, except for most rap which I really don't consider to be music. It's more like urban rhythmic poetry with maybe a bass line or ripped off sample of a hook of someone else's hit song.  

Why was none of this surprising

8 hours ago, Broncomare said:

Layne's voice was effing amazing!!!!

I’ve mentioned this before, but Pearl Jam and AIC played a short west coast club tour before anyone knew who they were. AIC & PJ co-headlined, and there was only about 70 or so people there for the show. Most of them were EV’s friends including me. I sat at about 10’ from Layne mic stand, and he was great. They played their hearts out despite it almost being a practice rehearsal with no people. 

kat.jpg

8 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

I’ve mentioned this before, but Pearl Jam and AIC played a short west coast club tour before anyone knew who they were. AIC & PJ co-headlined, and there was only about 70 or so people there for the show. Most of them were EV’s friends including me. I sat at about 10’ from Layne mic stand, and he was great. They played their hearts out despite it almost being a practice rehearsal with no people. 

AIC came to Boise, right about the time Facelift came out and played a club called the Crazy Horse, my friends, ex & I had a table right up front.  Layne was flirting with me the entire time and that was before he got heavy into the drugs and he looked GOOD!!!  But I had my husband sitting right next to me - bummer!!!  However, if I knew then that after 20 years of marriage my ex was going to start dating again, I would have just done Layne right there on the table!!  :D

down in a hole.jpg