Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

One of The All-Time Best Rock Songs

meh...

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Boston sucks. It's like listening to Journey, too...they suck ass save for a song or two. 

Agreed. That period/genre sucked. Boston, Journey, Speedwagon. They all sucked.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

30 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Obviously it's personal taste. Being a 60's hippie, you've always been into 60's to early 70's hippie tunes.

I loved Journey up to around 1978, and their earlier stuff wasn't corrupt with the later pop cheese. It happened to a lot of bands in the 70's. Styx had great early albums, and then the shit hit the fan with crap poppy albums like Paradise Theater. The great albums were The Grand Illusion, Pieces of Eight and Crystal Ball. Equinox was decent. Even bands like The Cars were guilty of selling out for pop crap. 

The first 2 Boston albums are just amazing. And all of it was recorded in Tom's basement studio. I never liked REO's attempt at harder rock stuff, but they had some great pop rock songs. High Infidelity was just amazing with hits from beginning to end. I think that was 1981, and after that they sucked. Pop rock can be great if done right. The problem is that too often in the early 80's it was done horridly more often than done well. 

The term 'corporate rock' is accurate when describing the sellout of bands that compromised their songs to sell more records in the early 80's. But bands like Styx and Journey weren't corporate rock in the 70's. It's great to see bands of this genre finally getting admitted to the R&R HOF. 

kat.jpg

57 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I think heard someone call it briefcase rock. The explanation for term was that  corporations starting taking over music.

1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

Obviously it's personal taste. Being a 60's hippie, you've always been into 60's to early 70's hippie tunes.

I loved Journey up to around 1978, and their earlier stuff wasn't corrupt with the later pop cheese. It happened to a lot of bands in the 70's. Styx had great early albums, and then the shit hit the fan with crap poppy albums like Paradise Theater. The great albums were The Grand Illusion, Pieces of Eight and Crystal Ball. Equinox was decent. Even bands like The Cars were guilty of selling out for pop crap. 

The first 2 Boston albums are just amazing. And all of it was recorded in Tom's basement studio. I never liked REO's attempt at harder rock stuff, but they had some great pop rock songs. High Infidelity was just amazing with hits from beginning to end. I think that was 1981, and after that they sucked. Pop rock can be great if done right. The problem is that too often in the early 80's it was done horridly more often than done well. 

The term 'corporate rock' is accurate when describing the sellout of bands that compromised their songs to sell more records in the early 80's. But bands like Styx and Journey weren't corporate rock in the 70's. It's great to see bands of this genre finally getting admitted to the R&R HOF. 

😴

Boston is studio pop rock.... give it credit for being slickly done.

Tom Scholz (of course) is/was  the creator and mastermind. Has track editing talents. This song isn't really rock, its a pop ballad.

whatever.

Theres a ton of music out there that I've never heard, .....and if i heard it I'd like it.

cerified_Subarus.jpg

There are so many amazing songs to pick the best ever.  But I love this recent compilation between Five Finger Death Punch, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Brian May & Brantley Gilbert.  With all of the proceeds going to The Gary Sinise Foundation to benefit First Responders.

down in a hole.jpg

3 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I came to this thread expecting some CCR or Skynyrd.

You never fail to disappoint, NC.

I expected Sugar Sugar

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

5 hours ago, Lester_in_reno said:

Boston is studio pop rock.... give it credit for being slickly done.

Tom Scholz (of course) is/was  the creator and mastermind. Has track editing talents. This song isn't really rock, its a pop ballad.

whatever.

Theres a ton of music out there that I've never heard, .....and if i heard it I'd like it.

Of course it's rock you idiot. It's got electric guitar and organ all over it. This is a more mellow song, but it's not a 'ballad'. 'Ballads' are 80's hard rock or metal bands trying to cash in on the success of Motley Crue's 'Home Sweet Home'. LOL. If rappers get get into the R&R HOF, then Boston is incredibly rock. 

Some of you guys need to be a bit more diverse in music styles. I like all kinds of music, except for most rap which I really don't consider to be music. It's more like urban rhythmic poetry with maybe a bass line or ripped off sample of a hook of someone else's hit song.  

kat.jpg

3 hours ago, Bob said:

Woah +++++ you guys! Journey is one of the best bands of all time 

Old SD Dude - I can see you liking the Doobie Brothers. 

Nope. Lightweights. Zep. 

24 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Nope. Lightweights. Zep. 

Era specific. Boston and Journey were great bands. So were Zeppelin and Skynyrd. Good music makes you feel.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg