Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jalapeno

California Fair Pay To Play Act SIGNED

9 hours ago, madeinhawaii said:

Actually, not even close to semi-pro. They are NOT being paid to play. Just being paid for the use of their "likeness" in advertising.  Paying them to come play for a team will probably still be illegal, it would be a bribe.  BUT, hard to prove is they are used in advertising.  We shall see. Lot's of fine lines to walk... lots of fines for crossing certain lines, I'm sure.   If they get paid to play a down, snap a ball, throw a ball in uniform, etc. they could lose their eligibility, as they become pros.  The lawyers will get rich on both sides.

True but the better a player plays the more endorsements they may get similar to pay incentives in the NFL contracts. So in reality it will amateurs mixed with semi-pros (their getting paid to play no matter how you slice it).

9 hours ago, madeinhawaii said:

Actually, not even close to semi-pro. They are NOT being paid to play. Just being paid for the use of their "likeness" in advertising.  Paying them to come play for a team will probably still be illegal, it would be a bribe.  BUT, hard to prove is they are used in advertising.  We shall see. Lot's of fine lines to walk... lots of fines for crossing certain lines, I'm sure.   If they get paid to play a down, snap a ball, throw a ball in uniform, etc. they could lose their eligibility, as they become pros.  The lawyers will get rich on both sides.

These are 18 year olds and older. How is paying them to play a bride? If I play baseball I can figure out my options but if I play football I can’t? 

The NCAA is a governing body that was created to organize college athletics. Nothing more. Today it is an incredibly powerful organization that directly impacts the lives and future of 1000s of young people... do you think the rules it makes are intended to help the athletes OR to ensure that the largest member institutions generate more $$$? I think it has to be blown up and reorganized. 

18 hours ago, SF-SJSU02 said:

I thought there was some wording in the law that states that companies under contract with the university could not also sign a contract with the player. That would eliminate companies like Nike from taking over as the university is likely more valuable to them long term than the player. 

They couldn't sign with a rival company.  (Like Under Armor if they were a Nike school)

So Nike would totally take over the University of Oregon for example.

3 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

These are 18 year olds and older. How is paying them to play a bride? If I play baseball I can figure out my options but if I play football I can’t? 

The NCAA is a governing body that was created to organize college athletics. Nothing more. Today it is an incredibly powerful organization that directly impacts the lives and future of 1000s of young people... do you think the rules it makes are intended to help the athletes OR to ensure that the largest member institutions generate more $$$? I think it has to be blown up and reorganized. 

While I agree the NCAA's power scheme of the haves and have nots needs to be broken up, your baseball analogy is off base. Players that get paid in the developmental leagues are no longer eligible for college. We're talking college ball here. The little guys are going to be farther left behind IMO and the now coaches are going to be handcuffed by highly paid players. The team game is going to be thing of the past except maybe for the academies.

So New York has already introduced a similar bill, and so far I have heard/read that Florida and New Mexico want to do the same. Once a couple more states actually introduce bills the floodgates will open. 

On 10/4/2019 at 5:18 AM, NevadaFan said:

Paying someone specifically to come play for your team is a bribe and would make them a professional - someone paid to play a sport.  That's not allowed. Paying for the use of their likeness, is allowed - i.e. modelling, commercials for other products, etc. 

1 hour ago, madeinhawaii said:

Paying someone specifically to come play for your team is a bribe and would make them a professional - someone paid to play a sport.  That's not allowed. Paying for the use of their likeness, is allowed - i.e. modelling, commercials for other products, etc. 

You are crazy if you don’t think kids will get paid to sign their loi. Boosters set up a fund then coach tells them how much to pay each kid to use their likeness on shiny new billboards. There’s too much competition recruiting kids for this not to happen. And it will be legal. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."