Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jalapeno

California Fair Pay To Play Act SIGNED

3 years before the law goes into effect.

Odds are better than 50-50 it never does.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

43 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

This is the final nail in the coffin for the little guys. No way can the G5 groups compete with the P5 with this model if it does go into effect. 

Same with some p5 teams. When this goes nationwide it will be interesting how conferences handle this. Phil Knight could pay 500k signing bonuses and out recruit everyone in the pac. 

I beleive the ncaa will give in and allow players to earn but will govern how and how much. I don’t think the ca law ever goes into effect. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

1 hour ago, ridgeview2 said:

This is the final nail in the coffin for the little guys. No way can the G5 groups compete with the P5 with this model if it does go into effect. 

We'll compete in the same way we have now

22 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

I don’t think so. 

We're not competing now, G5 schools do not recruit well enough to contend for titles. The vast majority of P5 schools don't either. College sports, particularly football have the least amount of parity in American sports, if the goal is to create that, then allowing boosters to buy players could actually be a benefit.

There were 29 5 star players in 2018 class according to 247. 22 of them were split among 5 schools, and only 10 schools managed to snag even one.

3 schools have won 9 of the last 14 national championships, and one region of the country has won 13 of the last 14. Parity does not exist, and maybe allowing Notre Dame, Oregon, and Michigan State boosters to head down South and have a better chance at recruiting in Texas, Atlanta, or Florida will actually bring back some parity.

I personally am tired of watching Bama and Clemson every year

3 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

The two big UCals + no-longer-Methodist-Spoiled-Children can each pay for this out of petty cash.  The CalStates who are our partners, not so much.  This looks like social justice warrioring, but it's really about pricing the little guy out of business.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

So long as the NCAA keeps the limit of 85 scholarships and 25/year nothing will change.  All of the highest rated recruits already go to the blue bloods.  If the scholarship cap is ever lifted then pay to play will kill the G5

1 minute ago, Fowl said:

So long as the NCAA keeps the limit of 85 scholarships and 25/year nothing will change.  All of the highest rated recruits already go to the blue bloods.  If the scholarship cap is ever lifted then pay to play will kill the G5

Is there a limit to roster size?  Who needs a scholarship if they can pay their own way with endorsement money?

11 minutes ago, sebasour said:

We're not competing now, G5 schools do not recruit well enough to contend for titles. The vast majority of P5 schools don't either. College sports, particularly football have the least amount of parity in American sports, if the goal is to create that, then allowing boosters to buy players could actually be a benefit.

There were 29 5 star players in 2018 class according to 247. 22 of them were split among 5 schools, and only 10 schools managed to snag even one.

3 schools have won 9 of the last 14 national championships, and one region of the country has won 13 of the last 14. Parity does not exist, and maybe allowing Notre Dame, Oregon, and Michigan State boosters to head down South and have a better chance at recruiting in Texas, Atlanta, or Florida will actually bring back some parity.

I personally am tired of watching Bama and Clemson every year

I agree with most of this post. I do think that bsu competes just fine for players and on the field vs p5 competition. Hell the mw as a whole is around .500 vs p5 this year.  College football will just turn into a bidding war for players and whoever has the most money to offer wins. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."