Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NorthWestCowboy

OT: MLB Playoffs

3 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

He is. Game 7 of the 2014 World Series was one of the most amazing postseason performances of all time. He could be the GOAT for that alone. That said, I'm an A's fan, so it's a long time since I've seen postseason clutch for my team.

His 2 wins and 1 save with a 0.43 ERA in 21 innings (in a 7 game series!), with 17Ks and only 9 hits and 1 walk allowed are numbers that still surely boggle the minds of even All-Time Greats...

3 minutes ago, crixus said:

Dave Roberts blew it yet again with his mismanagement of the Dodgers bullpen in the playoffs. *Kudos to the Nationals, I hope they beat the Cards and go to the World Series.

Gtfoh. Kershaw and Kelly blew it. And Friedman blew it in the off season by making his big acquisitions Joe Kelly and AJ Pollock. O but we stayed under the luxury tax threshold! Woo Phuckin hoo! What a phuckin joke.

12 minutes ago, sjsbuff said:

The Dodgers are starting to approach Atlanta Braves territory here.  Whats that, 7 straight West titles?  And no World Series wins?  Weren't they in the playoffs even before this consecutive Division titles run?   At least Atlanta got off the schneid in '95...

Before this run, LA had back to back NLCS appearances in '08 and '09 vs Philly

Just now, jdgaucho said:

Before this run, LA had back to back NLCS appearances in '08 and '09 vs Philly

Yeah, I'm not the stat guy that I once was (is an age thing, I suppose), but it has felt like a decade-run for L.A. - all for naught.  It's not like they're gonna fall apart overnight, sure, but Kershaw's best (reg. season) days are clearly behind him.  Not sure if Roberts takes a fall here or what.  It would seem stupid to can him for not bringing home the Big Prize (again), but that is sort of the point, right? 

I dunno.  What do you Dodger fans think???

My buddy, a Braves fan who has NEVER been interested in seeing the Braves when they come to LA, hit me up a week ago about going to some NLCS games if the Braves and Dodgers advanced. 

Clearly today was his fault. 

3 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Gtfoh. Kershaw and Kelly blew it. And Friedman blew it in the off season by making his big acquisitions Joe Kelly and AJ Pollock. O but we stayed under the luxury tax threshold! Woo Phuckin hoo! What a phuckin joke.

I'm watching the Dodgers post game show on Spectrum LA and former Dodgers Orel Hershisher and Nomar Garciaparra agree with me. Dave Roberts mismanaged the bullpen yet again.

1 minute ago, sjsbuff said:

Yeah, I'm not the stat guy that I once was (is an age thing, I suppose), but it has felt like a decade-run for L.A. - all for naught.  It's not like they're gonna fall apart overnight, sure, but Kershaw's best (reg. season) days are clearly behind him.  Not sure if Roberts takes a fall here or what.  It would seem stupid to can him for not bringing home the Big Prize (again), but that is sort of the point, right? 

I dunno.  What do you Dodger fans think???

I think they have the best young talent in the MLB and will be good foreseeable future.

But who gives a fck because they will just lose in the playoffs.

18 minutes ago, crixus said:

Dave Roberts blew it yet again with his mismanagement of the Dodgers bullpen in the playoffs. *Kudos to the Nationals, I hope they beat the Cards and go to the World Series.

I blame it on management who was too cheap to bring in a good setup guy and a complement to Jansen. The bull pen has been a weakness for years excluding Jansen and he has declined blowing numerous saves this year. 

I do think it was a mistake by Roberts to bring in Kershaw given his past failures in big games. Plus, he is not the same pitcher he was several years ago. His fast ball is gone and hitters know it. 

The Dodgers are still a very young team at most positions. Kershaw can’t be depended on any longer. The Dodgers need to add another solid starter to replace Kershaw and revamp the bull pen which they have failed to do for years. 

2 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I think they have the best young talent in the MLB and will be good foreseeable future.

To win in the playoffs and the WS you need at least two shut down aces and a solid bull pen. The Dodgers have one ace in Bueller and a crappy bull pen. Other than that their lineup is solid. 

10 minutes ago, sjsbuff said:

Pretty clever, but also pretty cruel...

As an angels fan, this was the best possible outcome. I have an old howie Kendrick jersey that I’m ready to trot out for the freeway series next year.

5 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

If so, then it sounds like you need someone who can coach them to the finish line...

3 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I blame it on management who was too cheap to bring in a good setup guy and a complement to Jansen. The bull pen has been a weakness for years excluding Jansen and he has declined blowing numerous saves this year. 

The Dodgers are still a very young team at most positions. Kershaw can’t be depended on any longer. The Dodgers need to add another solid starter to replace Kershaw and revamp the bull pen which they have failed to do for years. 

THANK YOU. It’s clear Jansen was no longer a guy that can cover up a weak bullpen, but do they fix the issue? No of course not, because “something something something luxury tax” (even though the franchise prints money). 

6 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Urias, Ferguson.  They've got a couple options for the rotation.  They'll need to replace Rich Hill too

Just now, jdgaucho said:

Urias, Ferguson.  They've got a couple options for the rotation.  They'll need to replace Rich Hill too

Yea the rotation is not an issue. Some combination of Urias, May, and Gonsolin can fill Hill and Ryu’s spots.

4 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

No, we need to get Kershaw a sports psychologist and finally address our shitty bullpen.

Not to rub it in here, but you don't think Bruce Bochy is part psychologist?  Of course he is.  His pitching coaches, too.  Not sure a Tony Soprano-Jen Melfi moment is in the cards for Clayton...  

3 minutes ago, sjsbuff said:

Not to rub it in here, but you don't think Bruce Bochy is part psychologist?  Of course he is.  His pitching coaches, too.  Not sure a Tony Soprano-Jen Melfi moment is in the cards for him...  

Man I don’t fckin know. All I know is am a Dodgers, Raiders, and SJSU fan and somehow a Brent Brennan coached SJSU team won a conference game, the Raiders fresh off a 4-12 season beat the Bears in London, and a Dodger team that set the franchise record for wins lost in the first round in the playoffs. 

What. The. Hell.

8 minutes ago, sjsbuff said:

Not to rub it in here, but you don't think Bruce Bochy is part psychologist?  Of course he is.  His pitching coaches, too.  Not sure a Tony Soprano-Jen Melfi moment is in the cards for Clayton...  

Kershaw is done as the ace of the Dodger staff. The injuries and age have taken a toll. I compare it to Tim Lincecum when he lost several mph off his fastball. His departure was sudden and it will be the same for Kershaw.