Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

UNLV Basketball First Day of Practice

11 minutes ago, qwelish said:

"Otzelberger sees Diong as a big who can initiate the offense at the top of the key"

Nope! Not unless its a dribble hand off....

Initiate by setting picks and then rolling to the basket.

Just now, RebelTexan said:

Initiate by setting picks and then rolling to the basket.

I left that out because it doesnt apply. Those things are not initiating the offense and not what the term means. 

Initiating offense is for ball-handlers and play callers.  It means enter the team into an offensive set or action.

2 hours ago, qwelish said:

Initiating offense is for ball-handlers and play callers.  It means enter the team into an offensive set or action.

Depends

lots of programs transition from early offense to offense through a high post look.  That is typically a trailing big.  Not surprised by this.  Pretty common actually in college. 

11 hours ago, slappy said:

Depends

lots of programs transition from early offense to offense through a high post look.  That is typically a trailing big.  Not surprised by this.  Pretty common actually in college. 

True. Some teams let their bigs initiate by rebounding and breaking out, or have point forwards. But screening, etc is not initiating.

Either way I have a hard time picturing Mbacke doing any of this stuff, initiating, making 3s, etc. Ill be very happy if he can successfully catch and finish while moving and maybe not throw the ball to the other team. 

That would be fantastic.

2 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

The new student apartments are f*cking nice---and the basketball players get to live in the 1500 sq ft models? What a perk for recruiting. 

Everything remains to be seen for success on the court. But one thing I've noticed is unlike what we saw under Rice/Menzies---I seriously doubt team chemistry is going to be an issue under Otzelberger. You can see these kids genuinely really like each other and there's a team-first culture at UNLV we probably haven't seen since Kruger. It's not going to take long for these guys to win-back the heart of this city. 

also props to the marketing department. These videos are good. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif