Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

UNLV Basketball First Day of Practice

56 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Good news for UNLV.  Tillman is a good player and he also fills a position of need for the Rebels.  And its good news for the MWC.  A better UNLV is always good for the conference.

There's 3 tiers and then San Jose.

1 - USU

2 - SDSU UNM Boise Fresneck 

3 - WYO CSU AFA 

SJSU

Since Amauri, Diong, Tillman are the probable core, and the teams is almost all juniors and seniors. I have to expect this team to be competitive. Tillman eats up 30+ minutes, the front court is all of a sudden deep 2 centers - 3 power forwards. I also have to believe that TJ will get better production from than a consistent 4 -11 from his star player and there are no injuries to start. 

On paper the talent is about the same or slightly worse, but as a team this unit feels like it has better potential and better fit. Still the schedule is better with a lot of road games and there's parity in the conference. 

That's pretty tough sledding. If UNLV gets 20 wins this year its a bubble team and TJ is a star.

I have between 14-17 wins. 

1 hour ago, qwelish said:

1 - USU

2 - SDSU UNM Boise Fresneck 

3 - WYO CSU AFA 

SJSU

Since Amauri, Diong, Tillman are the probable core, and the teams is almost all juniors and seniors. I have to expect this team to be competitive. Tillman eats up 30+ minutes, the front court is all of a sudden deep 2 centers - 3 power forwards. I also have to believe that TJ will get better production from than a consistent 4 -11 from his star player and there are no injuries to start. 

On paper the talent is about the same or slightly worse, but as a team this unit feels like it has better potential and better fit. Still the schedule is better with a lot of road games and there's parity in the conference. 

That's pretty tough sledding. If UNLV gets 20 wins this year its a bubble team and TJ is a star.

We are going to know after the first four non conference games what we are going to look like.  Kansas State at home then Cal and UCLA on the road all in six days.  I’m looking forward to it.  With Tillman just coming from the Pac-12 should make those two road games very interesting.

19 hours ago, Meister_Rebel said:

We are going to know after the first four non conference games what we are going to look like.  Kansas State at home then Cal and UCLA on the road all in six days.  I’m looking forward to it.  With Tillman just coming from the Pac-12 should make those two road games very interesting.

Not sure we will know much even then. Starting fast and fizzling out in the mwc we've seen before.

Not getting starched by KSU would be a good sign, but early isn't a good barometer of how the team and TJ will compete down the stretch vs mw competition. 

ucla and Cal have been cellar dwellers for years. Cal finished dead last in 18-19. Name brands in hoops, but how good are these teams in 19-20?

Its smart scheduling to slot big names in down years. So I get it.

On 10/3/2019 at 1:30 AM, qwelish said:

1 - USU

2 - SDSU UNM Boise Fresneck Nevada

3 - WYO CSU AFA 

SJSU

FIFY

I'm looking forward to the season starting no matter what.  Got some decent players.  Word on the street is Hamilton grew up bigly.  Hardy, an improved Hamilton, and Tillman should be able to do some damage. No predictions, just excited for bball as any good UNLV fan will always be.  I'll always have Runnin' Rebel fever.

2 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I'm looking forward to the season starting no matter what.  Got some decent players.  Word on the street is Hamilton grew up bigly.  Hardy, an improved Hamilton, and Tillman should be able to do some damage. No predictions, just excited for bball as any good UNLV fan will always be.  I'll always have Runnin' Rebel fever.

I'm really looking forward to what should be a more exciting style of play.  Just one more month after tomorrow not counting exhibition.

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

I want to be excited again. Not quite there yet, but starting to get there.

4 hours ago, toonkee said:

I think Ding Dong will be much improved as well.  Lots of untapped potential on offense.