Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FresnoFacts

Resnicks Donate $10 million to Fresno State

This is on the CSU Board of Trustees agenda for Tuesday Sept 24, so now public. The official announcement will come later.

Lynda and Stewart Resnick are donating $10 million to Fresno State for its new Student Union project.

The donation will be in $1 million installments for 10 years. The donation is for design, construction, operation and maintenance of the new student union along with the creation of a Wonderful Scholar Center inside the new Student Union.

The CSU Trustees will vote Tuesday to name the new student union "The Lynda and Stewart Resnick Student Union".

http://www2.calstate.edu/csu-system/board-of-trustees/past-meetings/2019/Documents/sep-24-25-ia.pdf

According to the Trustee agenda report above, currently over 200 students are attending Fresno State on scholarships from the Resnicks or one of their companies (Wonderful Pistachios, Wonderful Halos, POM Wonderful, FIJI Water, JUSTIN Wines, Landmark Wines, JNSQ Wines and Teleflora).

The new 84,000 sq ft student union is scheduled to open in 2021. Fresno State students voted last year a $149/semester fee to build the new student union.

New-Student-Union-Site-Plan_3D-Rendering

siteplan.jpg

More info and more images at:

http://fresnostate.edu/studentaffairs/division/vp/new-student-union.html

1 hour ago, FresnoFacts said:

This is on the CSU Board of Trustees agenda for Tuesday Sept 24, so now public. The official announcement will come later.

Lynda and Stewart Resnick are donating $10 million to Fresno State for its new Student Union project.

The donation will be in $1 million installments for 10 years. The donation is for design, construction, operation and maintenance of the new student union along with the creation of a Wonderful Scholar Center inside the new Student Union.

The CSU Trustees will vote Tuesday to name the new student union "The Lynda and Stewart Resnick Student Union".

http://www2.calstate.edu/csu-system/board-of-trustees/past-meetings/2019/Documents/sep-24-25-ia.pdf

According to the Trustee agenda report above, currently over 200 students are attending Fresno State on scholarships from the Resnicks or one of their companies (Wonderful Pistachios, Wonderful Halos, POM Wonderful, FIJI Water, JUSTIN Wines, Landmark Wines, JNSQ Wines and Teleflora).

The new 84,000 sq ft student union is scheduled to open in 2021. Fresno State students voted last year a $149/semester fee to build the new student union.

siteplan.jpg

More info and more images at:

http://fresnostate.edu/studentaffairs/division/vp/new-student-union.html

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Always great when a benefactor steps up for the students.  Good on you guys.

Please tell me there won't be a petting zoo.

Is that a 30' fence and wall surrounding the complex in the architectural drawings?

10 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

Pretty nice looking for a detention center. Nice euphemism too.

And I don't think I'm the only one who saw through the "student center" smokescreen:

4 hours ago, BSUFan said:

Is that a 30' fence and wall surrounding the complex in the architectural drawings?

:whistle:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

I find this rather amusing that they are okay with a $150 tuition fee raise to pay for a new student union, but threw a bitch fit when they were asked to pay an $80 tuition fee raise to help pay for a multi-level parking garage that would have solved their parking issues. Students are still having to fight for parking spots 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

19 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

I find this rather amusing that they are okay with a $150 tuition fee raise to pay for a new student union, but threw a bitch fit when they were asked to pay an $80 tuition fee raise to help pay for a multi-level parking garage that would have solved their parking issues. Students are still having to fight for parking spots 

Devil's advocate there's a lot more student housing planned. Even right now on maple and Gettysburg avenues there's a 3 to 4 story housing complex almost completed. Not sure how many units but it's really large.

2 minutes ago, SangerBulldog said:

Devil's advocate there's a lot more student housing planned. Even right now on maple and Gettysburg avenues there's a 3 to 4 story housing complex almost completed. Not sure how many units but it's really large.

I'll have to check it out when I drive up for the next home game. I haven't visited the campus in over a year so I'm always happy to see what's changing. I just remember back when I was an undergrad in 2011 students were throwing a huge fit over an $80 increase to pay for a new parking garage which is where the solar covered parking is now along Shaw. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

20 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

I'll have to check it out when I drive up for the next home game. I haven't visited the campus in over a year so I'm always happy to see what's changing. I just remember back when I was an undergrad in 2011 students were throwing a huge fit over an $80 increase to pay for a new parking garage which is where the solar covered parking is now along Shaw. 

Yeah the combination of the planned housing and campus pointe now mostly completed some students just walk to class from there. Last year i would park there and then after class we would head back to get a quick drink. Cant imagine how it was before campus pointe. 

11 hours ago, BSUFan said:

The building will use pre-manufactured insulated concrete panels for the construction method. That will reduce the number of shear walls.

But you are confused about which school might need a wall. It sounds like it is San Jose State that needs to consider improved security around the campus.

SJSU had two arrests last week for two separate gun incidents on the SJSU campus, including this shooting last Thursday at the campus library:

SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A San Jose State student says he had to dive for cover after a bullet flew right over his head. The shooting happened at East San Fernando and South 4th Streets. It left the MLK Library and a nearby parking structure riddled with bullet holes.

http://abc7news.com/sjsu-student-recalls-terrifying-moments-after-bullets-hit-main-library/5554012/

and this SJSU incident just the day before the library shooting:

SANTA CLARA COUNTY (KRON) — A student allegedly armed with a loaded semi-automatic handgun, ammunition and a knife was arrested Wednesday at San Jose State University after making a threat on social media.

http://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/police-student-with-loaded-gun-ammo-knife-arrested-at-san-jose-state-university/

2 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

It took multiple attempts to get students to approve the Student Union fee. They initially threw fits about that fee also.

3 hours ago, SangerBulldog said:

Jesus put some windows on the damn thing tho.

Took the words right out of my mouth.  It looks extremely institutional.

Congrats on the gift CSU-Fresno!