Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New TV contracts

I currently have Sling, Orange, but have been kicking around the idea of going with YouTube tv, cause they Offer cbssn and nbcsn, along with 4 espn channels. At least I can watch MWC games on cbssn. 

But have also thought about going with Hulu+, I believe it’s called? Sling costs me 40, YouTube would cost me 55, and I believe Hulu would be around 40 as well... decisions! Anyone here have YouTubeTV, and do you like it?

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

7 hours ago, 1066 said:

First Hair said early fall, now it is late 2019. This does not sound good to me. 

Basically, this must mean we are playing out the exclusive timeline with the current TV providers to see offers from other providers like Fox and NBC.  We must’ve had some insight on other offers but had to wait till the exclusive period expires before talking with other networks.

4 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

I currently have Sling, Orange, but have been kicking around the idea of going with YouTube tv, cause they Offer cbssn and nbcsn, along with 4 espn channels. At least I can watch MWC games on cbssn. 

But have also thought about going with Hulu+, I believe it’s called? Sling costs me 40, YouTube would cost me 55, and I believe Hulu would be around 40 as well... decisions! Anyone here have YouTubeTV, and do you like it?

It’s more about what you and your family like to watch.  To make me and my my significant other (female wife) happy I’m going to go with FubuTV and Sling and ESPN+.  I bought the Apple TV 4K box to access my options.  Why Apple TV 4K?  It supports Dolby Vision and UHD.  My TV supports Dolby Vision.  I should have fast internet at the end of the month so I’m getting ready to cut the cord.

10 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

Basically, this must mean we are playing out the exclusive timeline with the current TV providers to see offers from other providers like Fox and NBC.  We must’ve had some insight on other offers but had to wait till the exclusive period expires before talking with other networks.

Thompson actually extended the exclusive window with CBS Sports and ESPN. He indicated things were going well so they needed more time. Yet his more recent statements that each team would get "significantly" more revenue than the current contract really doesn't mean much.  He also indicated teams would not get close to the 2.3 million Hawaii gets from it's cable deal on the islands. (Hawaii, and Boise State home games, are not part of the package as they are sold separately).

While Tom Burman of Wyoming believes the country is dying to watch Wyoming football the reality of being in the 197th media market which is shares with Cheyenne and Scotts Bluff, NE just isn't based in reality.  The 51,000 TV households in that market are just not going to bring in the dollars.  Especially when those housholds are a split with Nebraska fans. 

Don't expect anything near the seven million per team the AAC teams are receiving. The demographics in the west just don't support anything close to that amount of money. I think 2M per team may be the ceiling. (Boise may get between 4M and 5M)

3 hours ago, BSUFan said:

Thompson actually extended the exclusive window with CBS Sports and ESPN. He indicated things were going well so they needed more time. Yet his more recent statements that each team would get "significantly" more revenue than the current contract really doesn't mean much.  He also indicated teams would not get close to the 2.3 million Hawaii gets from it's cable deal on the islands. (Hawaii, and Boise State home games, are not part of the package as they are sold separately).

While Tom Burman of Wyoming believes the country is dying to watch Wyoming football the reality of being in the 197th media market which is shares with Cheyenne and Scotts Bluff, NE just isn't based in reality.  The 51,000 TV households in that market are just not going to bring in the dollars.  Especially when those housholds are a split with Nebraska fans. 

Don't expect anything near the seven million per team the AAC teams are receiving. The demographics in the west just don't support anything close to that amount of money. I think 2M per team may be the ceiling. (Boise may get between 4M and 5M)

Those were not recent statements.  That was lazy journalism by a paper in Fort Collins who mixed in statements from April with statements from last Friday.

4 hours ago, BSUFan said:

Please cite a source saying Thompson extended the CBSsports and ESPN exclusive negotiating window.   You’re the only person who has said this. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Please cite a source saying Thompson extended the CBSsports and ESPN exclusive negotiating window.   You’re the only person who has said this. 

Thompson talked about the extension at the football media days,

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

6 minutes ago, 1IvyDog said:

I don’t recall that 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

15 minutes ago, 1IvyDog said:

Correct - for CBSSN anyways.  He was a little more vague about ESPN, as their exclusive window was still open at that time.

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

46 minutes ago, mugtang said:

41 minutes ago, 1IvyDog said:

25 minutes ago, RSF said:

Correct - for CBSSN anyways.  He was a little more vague about ESPN, as their exclusive window was still open at that time.

I stand corrected. 

26 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

This conference is a joke. Our TV deal will suck. Guaranteed.

barney stinson tru GIF

4 hours ago, mugtang said:

It was on KTIK Caves & Prater radio show.

Here is Thompsons direct line at the Mountain West Conference offices he will verifiy it for you. (719) 488-4047

4 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Those were not recent statements.  That was lazy journalism by a paper in Fort Collins who mixed in statements from April with statements from last Friday.

That is true, lazy journalism but which part of my statement are you disagreeing with?

4 minutes ago, BSUFan said:

That is true, lazy journalism but which part of my statement are you disagreeing with?

The part I highlighted in bold, obviously.  His statements regarding Hawaii and it being less then what they currently get are not recent and by all accounts negotiations are going well.  A lot has changed since that Hawaii reference in April.  That was a long time ago.

6 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The part I highlighted in bold, obviously.  His statements regarding Hawaii and it being less then what they currently get are not recent and by all accounts negotiations are going well.  A lot has changed since that Hawaii reference in April.  That was a long time ago.

It was along time ago, but what markets in the Mountain West will bring the big dollars?

Laramie?

Logan? - SLC Market but USU is third in line there just with college sports.

San Jose? - Spartans are so far down the list most people there don't even know the team plays football.

Fort Collins? Colorado Springs? Albuquerque ? Reno? Las Vegas? Fresno? San Diego State?

Boise isn't big market but we have the distiction of being a nationally know brand which earned us the carve out.

Geography also plays a huge part.

I just don't see anyone paying much for the product the Mountain West puts on the field when the PAC12 is even struggling with viewership.

Just my opinion but I did spend 20+ years in media marketing.  I would love to be surprised and be totally wrong.

53 minutes ago, BSUFan said:

It was along time ago, but what markets in the Mountain West will bring the big dollars?

Laramie?

Logan? - SLC Market but USU is third in line there just with college sports.

San Jose? - Spartans are so far down the list most people there don't even know the team plays football.

Fort Collins? Colorado Springs? Albuquerque ? Reno? Las Vegas? Fresno? San Diego State?

Boise isn't big market but we have the distiction of being a nationally know brand which earned us the carve out.

Geography also plays a huge part.

I just don't see anyone paying much for the product the Mountain West puts on the field when the PAC12 is even struggling with viewership.

Just my opinion but I did spend 20+ years in media marketing.  I would love to be surprised and be totally wrong.

I did not postulate as it to being more or less than the Hawaii figure.  Just correcting your wording about that being a more recent statement.  

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I did not postulate as it to being more or less than the Hawaii figure.  Just correcting your wording about that being a more recent statement.  

So to summaries what has been written, We really do not know when we will see the contract or how much it will bring us. We hope for an increase but do not know how much.

Does this summarize the situation or have I missed something. If so what would that be.  Thanks much for your help.

21 minutes ago, 1066 said:

So to summaries what has been written, We really do not know when we will see the contract or how much it will bring us. We hope for an increase but do not know how much.

Does this summarize the situation or have I missed something. If so what would that be.  Thanks much for your help.

Correct.  Will be more than the current deal but no idea how much or with what provider.  It is up to each person how significant the increase will be depending on how you view the situation. 

Personally, it will be be disappointing, but that is just the reality of it. 

Another interesting aspect that hasn't gotten much press is the media rights deals for BYU.  It was supposed to be finalized around the end of June yet nothing has finalized as of yet. 

Boise and BYU did extend their home and homes for another 10 years beginning in 2025. 

I just wonder if there might be a deal working between BYU and the Mountain West/Boise State with a scheduleing agreement ala Notre Dame and the ACC.  In essence helping BYU with scheduling and providing late season games for BYU.

Pure speculation on my part but interesting none the less.