Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

East Coast Aztec

USU at SDSU Game Thread

1 hour ago, steveem said:

If you think Agnew is bad you should see the four QBs behind him, two FBS offers among them. 

55 minutes ago, aztech said:

Why would a quality Div-1 QB want to come to a team that emphasizes a running offense? 

I think Wyoming has the same problem with QBs and WRs.  Why come play for a ball control run centered offense.  Do you think Long and Bohl will ever change their stance on that?  

9 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

I think Wyoming has the same problem with QBs and WRs.  Why come play for a ball control run centered offense.  Do you think Long and Bohl will ever change their stance on that?  

Nope.  The are old and stuck in their ways.

Good game Aggies.  Don’t embarrass the conference at LSU. 

26 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Well SJSU beat Arkansas so anything is possible. 

I get your opinion.  But there is a difference between LSU and Arkansas.  Obviously, I want USU to win.  But LSU is talented enough where pretty much any loss I would not call an embarrassment.  If they keep it within 10, I will be very happy

29 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Well SJSU beat Arkansas so anything is possible. 

While true, Arkansas and LSU are worlds apart.  LSU looks to be pretty elite this year.  

No one in this conference can hang with the elite teams of college football most days.  It would take an extremely lucky day to beat them.  

Great game Aztecs. Feels good to get the SDSU monkey off our backs in Bball and Fball finally. I must say I was shocked to see Byrd return! Not often you see a player leave the field on a cart and then return to play.

It was so frustrating to watch the Aggie O move up and down the field pretty well and then settle for FG after FG. I know SUDS D had a say in that but we really did not execute very well in the redzone all night. Thank goodness for Jaylen Warren, dude is a beast with incredible balance and strength. It seemed like it took 4-5 guys to bring him down all night. He is sort of like Darwin Thompson in that way. In fact, it's sort of ironic that after Thompson left early to the NFL we went after Warren to replace him. Had Darwin stayed I'm not sure we get Warren.

3 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Didn't Bohl strike it rich with Josh Allen?  We've yet to sign a QB recruit like him.

See above. We got beat, no excuses and like "Hood" I didn't expect a W on Saturday.

Now Fresburg, lol, what did we say about the "Great HC Guru" at the start of the year? "We will see how good he really is"

12 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I get your opinion.  But there is a difference between LSU and Arkansas.  Obviously, I want USU to win.  But LSU is talented enough where pretty much any loss I would not call an embarrassment.  If they keep it within 10, I will be very happy

I'd be ecstatic if they keep it within 10.  I had LSU as my natl champ this year and they are steamrolling everyone.  I'll be happy with anything less than 21.  Just rather not see a 49-6 score. 

5 hours ago, Rev McQuervo said:

See above. We got beat, no excuses and like "Hood" I didn't expect a W on Saturday.

Now Fresburg, lol, what did we say about the "Great HC Guru" at the start of the year? "We will see how good he really is"

Based upon what I have seen from Coach Rocky Long lately, I am more than happy to stick with Coach Tedford.

I really cant wait to see that new spread offense HC Long was talking about.

So when do you think the team will be rolling it out this year?  LOL

On 9/21/2019 at 10:00 PM, Lobo Amor said:

I'm surprised myself. Your offense seems like somethings missing.

And that something is an innovative OC and assistant coaches who don't overlook a talent like Jordan Love who attended HS only a half-day drive north of SDSU's campus. In all seriousness, SDSU quarterback recruiting during the Rocky Long era has got to be among the most inept in the country.

Boom goes the dynamite.

15 hours ago, aztech said:

Didn't Bohl strike it rich with Josh Allen?  We've yet to sign a QB recruit like him.

They did well with him but he only had 1 other FBS offer and that was after Wyoming offered.  Great find, but how often can a coach replicate that?  You need talent to consistently win at the FBS level.  

It seems like SDSU cloned their basketball program for their football team - tough, hardnose defense that is damn hard to score on, old school coaching, and generally a lack of offensive firepower. I always expect games against Rocky Long's SDSU teams (and Steve Fisher before he retired) to be slugfests. Some of the problems mentioned in this thread for SDSU football is because Rocky refuses to change, but given his results it's hard to fault him. 

I'm glad USU got out of there with a win. Agnew ended each half with plays that I'm sure each SDSU fan wants to burn from their minds forever: A 35 yard hail mary duck when he needed to go 50+ and a 4th and 10 where he lost 40 yards almost had me feeling bad for you guys. 

2 minutes ago, mondego said:

It seems like SDSU cloned their basketball program for their football team - tough, hardnose defense that is damn hard to score on, old school coaching, and generally a lack of offensive firepower. I always expect games against Rocky Long's SDSU teams (and Steve Fisher before he retired) to be slugfests. Some of the problems mentioned in this thread for SDSU football is because Rocky refuses to change, but given his results it's hard to fault him. 

I'm glad USU got out of there with a win. Agnew ended each half with plays that I'm sure each SDSU fan wants to burn from their minds forever: A 35 yard hail mary duck when he needed to go 50+ and a 4th and 10 where he lost 40 yards almost had me feeling bad for you guys. 

Almost

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

21 minutes ago, Bob said:

I did not think the Aggies had it in them. I'll now accept they are for real. I'm not sure how good SDSU really is, but still a good, if not great, conference win on the road. 

Who are you? and what did you do with Bob?

If we have another year like last year Rocky will retire. What he and Hoke did do was prove you can win at SDSU. If he does stay he will likely purge many of the offensive staff. Or he might move Horton back to RB Coach fire his special teams coach maybe the QB coach. and bring in a new OC.

"Everything that does not destroy you makes you stronger except Aztec Football "

Freddy Nietzsche

2 hours ago, Bob said:

I did not think the Aggies had it in them. I'll now accept they are for real. I'm not sure how good SDSU really is, but still a good, if not great, conference win on the road. 

Seems it's quite similar to our win at UCLA. Maybe neither USU's opponent nor ours is great this year but it's always tough to get a monkey off your back.

But I can't see USU giving Boise too much trouble. The Aggies had four opportunities for TDs in SDSU's red zone when they came away with just three FGs thereby keeping the game close. They aren't going to get away with that lack of offensive production against a team with an offense as good as Boise's.

Boom goes the dynamite.