Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

East Coast Aztec

OT: Gameday Thread Week 4

Morning MWers :coffeecomputer:

As I am in an overwhelmed state of smells from my smoker, feeling a briskness in the air, and seeing the very first signs of my trees turning from green to that shade of auburn, I gotta ask myself why is life treating me so well?  I hope that some days, the cumulative effect of these minor instances brings you to the same conclusion.  If it doesn't, then add that there is some good football to watch, let's see if that changes your world picture.

After a great start to the weekend with AF and Boise (congrats Broncs) on the national stage, we get some of our final games of OOC before the heart of conference play starts.  This is my last weekend that I wish well on all of our MW brothers and sisters.  So I am hoping for a rebound from a ho hum week last week to close out this portion of the schedule.

Wyoming is in Tulsa for a MWC vs AAC battle.  Wyoming is exceeding most expectations, and has an opportunity to head into conference play with a perfect 4-0 record.  They can also add a log to the mythical P6 slapfight by taking out a team that is favored in the Golden Hurricanes.  Tulsa already has Leonidas' shield from week 2, so Wyo doesn't want to allow another MWC artifact to make it's way to a wall in the Tornado Alley (seriously, why are they called the Hurricanes?).

The in-state rivalry in the Land of Enchantment takes place as NMSU is in ABQ to face New Mexico.  This is, on paper, an easy win for the home team.  NMSU has been beaten like a foster kid in Adrian Peterson's care, and there only so many beatings someone can take before it goes from being "battle tested" to "your name is Toby".  The line is surprisingly low, but this is a game that UNM must win, both for its bragging rights, and for the conference picture.

SJSU is in Arkansas and I hope they enjoy the BBQ, because even with Arkansas not being great, SJSU will still have an uphill battle.  SJSU would need a few plays that take Arkansas completely by surprise on the offense to have a chance.  Vanilla playcalling will not get it done, as the coaches are pretty much even, but the talent levels are vastly different.

Nevada is in El Paso to take on the Miners.  Honestly, Nevada, do not mess this up.  UTEP barely beat Houston Baptist.  Get the W and get back to Reno.

Sac State is in Fresno and Fresno has to be thinking "finally..."  Week 4 for the opportunity that the divisional frontrunner can get a W has to be a bitter pill.  I expect a drubbing and then the Hornets' fans to be beaten by some Bulldog "fans" with the face tats afterwards, just for good measure.

Toledo is checking out the superior lifestyle today.  What will the loss of Colin Hill mean?  I am sure the current line is indicative of that season ending injury.  If Bobo the clown has any tricks up his sleeve, it needs to come out today to allow a .500 Rams team some semblance of respect as it enters conference play.

USU is in San Diego and should be a matchup between a great offense against a great defense.  USU is looking good, a close game against Wake Forest and a drubbing against an FCS team shows that no matter the opponent, they can score.  SDSU has not faced an offense this capable yet, so it is a test to see what they are capable of.  But it will be dependent on the SDSU offense to be able to stay on the field that will be the key to their success.

And Central Arkansas is visiting Hawaii to get lei'd, get those cheeks beat, and head back home.

Around the country, this week starts off great.  Ten-R-C is in Florida for a rivalry game.  They have played like garbage, but Florida is susceptible as well.  Y'never know.  Michigan is in a pivotal battle for second place in the Big Ten's shot for the playoffs as they head into Mad Town.  I hate Wisconsin, but I respect them, and I am enjoying what I am seeing out of them.  If they can perform as they have against the Wolverines, this is my darkhorse for the Big Ten.  Auburn is in Aggieland for a rivalry of the little brothers.  aTm is plenty capable of doing some great things, while Auburn has been sort of squeaking by teams.  This may be the statement game that re-establishes aTm as a team to be cautious of in the SEC.  Conversely, another win against a top 25 team away from Jordan-Hare will put Auburn as a legit team, as they typically struggle away from Auburn.  UCF is in Pitt and should crush the Panthers and get their second P5 win of the year, establishing themselves as the frontrunner for the NY6.  Washington is in Provo, and don't look now, but BYU's defense should be a problem for the Huskies.  I doubted the 30-year olds last week, but I think they have what it takes to beat this UW team, leaving their wives and 3 kids in a joyous state of Yoohoo filled bliss.  Oklahoma State is in Texas, where they have won 5 in a row.  Texas is stout on the offense, and one of the better Big 12 defenses.  I think the streak snaps in Austin tonight.  And the game of the week is in Athens, Georgia.  Notre Dame and the Bulldogs.  I am sure the amount of drinking has reached hospital-visit phase by now.  I have never been on a campus where the fans trash their lawns as much as Georgia.  And now that bandwagon drunks of the Notre Dame fanbase are joining the party, kids probably have to swim through all the litter on campus.  Two teams that are legit playoff contenders, with good offenses, and good defenses.  Tradition, passionate fans, and media hype.  This is the first real battle of the year (sorry atm/Clemson and Oregon/Auburn).  Can't wait.

As for me, my pulled pork is hitting its 12th hour and is ready to rest, fridge is stocked, polo is on, a halftime visit to the pumpkin patch is in order and the flags are posted.  My body is ready.

Good luck to my fellow MW brethren (except USU) :cheers::banana::USFlag:

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

It is early, but Wisconsin could open this up quickly

28-0 at the half. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

25 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

@East Coast Aztec  - dig on your weekly write-ups, but your claim that Jawjuh/ND represents "the first real battle of the year (sorry atm/Clemson and Oregon/Auburn)" seems to have glossed over the 45-38 Week 2 Instaclassic in Austin.

Ah, you know what?  Absolutely correct.  It was so good it transcends time. :P

Good call.

And Tennessee put in a new QB, and they look better already.  May want to keep an eye on this one.

8 minutes ago, aggzilla said:

Big game of the morning/afternoon has been a complete bust. At what point is Harbaugh finally on the hot seat in Ann Arbor?

He's been 10-3, 3 out of 4 years so far with this year still to be determined.  I know fans want more, but that's pretty damn good.  

9 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

He's been 10-3, 3 out of 4 years so far with this year still to be determined.  I know fans want more, but that's pretty damn good.  

Harbaugh's Wolverines remind me very much of Pelini's Huskers.  Almost always winning 9-10 games, almost always beating the teams they are supposed to but almost never punching above their weight class.  In 7-seasons Pelini only once beat a team ranked above the Huskers and that was Georgia in the 2014 Gator Bowl.

At schools like Nebraska and Michigan this can get your fired.  Harbaugh has the advantage of being a Michigan Alum.  But even his shenanigans grow old after awhile.  Pelini grew old really fast with his crotchety demeanor.

5 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

That is pretty damn good for just about every other school in the country, but Harbaugh was supposed to take UM to the promised land of Big ten and NCP titles and hasn’t delivered. 

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

2 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Harbaugh's Wolverines remind me very much of Pelini's Huskers.  Almost always winning 9-10 games, almost always beating the teams they are supposed to but almost never punching above their weight class.  In 7-seasons Pelini only once beat a team ranked above the Huskers and that was Georgia in the 2014 Gator Bowl.

At schools like Nebraska and Michigan this can get your fired.  Harbaugh has the advantage of being a Michigan Alum.  But even his shenanigans grow old after awhile.  Pelini grew old really fast with his crotchty demeanor.

That is all true, but Michigan should be careful what they wish for lest they hire their Mike Riley or Bill Callahan or another Rich Rodriguez.  I never believe schools or teams should be scared to move on for fear of the unknown, but Pelini only got to 8 wins usually right?  10 is not as easy but Harbaugh still needs to beat Ohio St.  If he had beat Ohio St once or twice, is anyone having this convo?

16 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

That is all true, but Michigan should be careful what they wish for lest they hire their Mike Riley or Bill Callahan or another Rich Rodriguez.  I never believe schools or teams should be scared to move on for fear of the unknown, but Pelini only got to 8 wins usually right?  10 is not as easy but Harbaugh still needs to beat Ohio St.  If he had beat Ohio St once or twice, is anyone having this convo?

Pelini went 67-27 at Nebraska winning 9 games 4 times and 10 games 3 times.  Never won fewer than 9 games.