Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tulsa Guy

Big 12 Explains Moving OSU/KSU to ESPN+. MWC TV contract implications?

(The AAC TV contract and now this moving of the OSU/KSU football game indicate what is to come in the future, maybe much sooner than anticipated by sports fans.  Both AAC and B12 are touting ESPN+ as their conference network, not only equivalent to PAC, SEC, ACC, and B1G conference networks but superior because ESPN+ allows for many, many more sports events to be telecast as well as coach and player interviews, playbacks, etc. as well as general college information and academic programs.  ESPN+ allows each college to have its version of the Longhorn Network.)

BIG 12 EXPLAINS MOVING OSU VS KSU TO ESPN+

Heartland Sports, by Pete Munde, Sept 18, 2019

Some Big 12 fans are outraged Oklahoma State (3-0) and Kansas State (3-0) on Sept 28 has been moved to ESPN+.  Why?  I am not sure why.  All signs pointed in this direction when the deal was announced at Big 12 Media Days.  TV networks know the cable bundle is dying and want you to pay for their own digital properties.  The more quality content they put on these, the more people who will pay for it.

The Tulsa World reached out to the Big 12 for comment on the decision and associate commissioner Bob Burda replied via email:  "In talking with our ESPN partners, it was agreed that there is an opportunity to continue growing the new Big 12 on ESPN platform in this first year."

Burda added that the conference was approached by ESPN to add inventory to ESPN+.  The OSU vs KSU game was eligible to be moved and the Big 12 signed off.  ESPN wisely saw the game as an attractive way to promote its digital platform, which it is.

None of this is changing any time soon, in fact, this is the wave of the future.  When the cable bundle ultimately unravels, you will pick and choose everything to pay and watch a la carte.

So it is probably best to just get on with it.

AT&T EXPLORES PARTING WAYS WITH DirectTV

Wall Street Journal, By Shalini Ramachandran and Drew Fitzgerald, Sept 18, 2019

AT&T is exploring parting with its DirecTV unit, people familiar with the matter said, a sharp reversal from Chief Executive Stephenson's strategy to make the $49 billion bet on the satellite provider a key piece of the phone giant's future.

AT&T acquired DirecTV in 2015 for $49 billion.  The company's shrinking satellite business is under a microscope after activist Elliott Management Corp disclosed a $3.2 billion stake in AT&T last week and released a report pushing for strategic changes.  Elliott has told investors that AT&T should unload DirecTV, the Wall Street Journal has previously reported.

AT&T f-cked DirecTV up. Before AT&T, DirecTV customer service was stellar. After, it sank to the customer no-service model that CEO Randall Stephenson loves. He once threatened legal action against a customer who e-mailed him directly about a complaint. The guy is probably the biggest douchebag CEO in the U.S.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

I really hope ESPN raises the bar on what they will tolerate from the school's production teams.  That Wyoming game @ Tulsa was terrible.  I hope Wyoming ups their game as well.  The Idaho game was Ok, but it definitely could have been better. 

I have read a lot of people who complain about the production of FCS games and lower tier conferences.  I know seeing a game at all is better than nothing, but I just hope that ESPN doesn't go to this pay model and then not take production seriously for all games.  It is only $5 now, but you know once they get more marquee games on there and more subscribers, the price is going up.  

Well.....as for the Big 12 and AAC they didn’t have a conference network so ESPN provides that platform for those conferences.

The MW already has a digital network that shows all the sports, press conferences and player interviews in addition to other things.  We have access to that for FREE! We don’t need ESPN+ because we already have our own network developed.  Just as the Big10 has their own digital network and has no need of ESPN+

6 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

I really hope ESPN raises the bar on what they will tolerate from the school's production teams.  That Wyoming game @ Tulsa Texas State was terrible.  I hope Wyoming ups their game as well.  The Idaho game was Ok, but it definitely could have been better. 

I have read a lot of people who complain about the production of FCS games and lower tier conferences.  I know seeing a game at all is better than nothing, but I just hope that ESPN doesn't go to this pay model and then not take production seriously for all games.  It is only $5 now, but you know once they get more marquee games on there and more subscribers, the price is going up.  

Agreed and FIFY

2 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

(The AAC TV contract and now this moving of the OSU/KSU football game indicate what is to come in the future, maybe much sooner

None of this is changing any time soon, in fact, this is the wave of the future.  When the cable bundle ultimately unravels, you will pick and choose everything to pay and watch a la carte.

So it is probably best to just get on with it.

what started as some un-bundling to reduce your cable bill to eliminate channels you didn't watch/need is slowly morphing into paying substantially more for everything a la carte.  

:pullhair: 

32 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

what started as some un-bundling to reduce your cable bill to eliminate channels you didn't watch/need is slowly morphing into paying substantially more for everything a la carte.  

If you watch every single thing you did before, then yes.  Even with all of the various things going to subscription/digitial models, It's still going to be a long way time away before I'm hitting $100+ that I did for my cable.

6 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

I really hope ESPN raises the bar on what they will tolerate from the school's production teams.  That Wyoming game @ Tulsa was terrible.  I hope Wyoming ups their game as well.  The Idaho game was Ok, but it definitely could have been better. 

The 1st cbssports game was Stanford/BYU. I think it was CSTV or something at the time. LDS satellite pump it into all the LDS church house world wide. The production was horrible and the announcers didn’t even understand the game. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

6 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

You can see where my mind is at.  I'm worried for this week.  I hope this is the game where it all turns around for the Poke offense.

I've been worried for this week ever since the first half of the Texas State game.  Wyoming is a very slow starting team so far this season.  Can't afford to do that on the road in Tulsa as they are a better team than Texas State.

I think the MWC could benefit from further exposure with ESPN+ and I think the MWC could have the upper hand over the Pac-12 when it comes to exposure until the Pac-12's media rights are renewed.  I personally liked it better as a fan when it comes to media access with CU in the Big 12 than the Pac-12.  Larry Scott, that narcissistic blowhard commissioner of the Pac-12, would have his pride wrecked if the MWC appears to be more ahead of the times than the Pac-12 by simply hooking up with ESPN+.

It's going to be interesting to see how UCLA & USC approaches the next media rights especially with new ADs on the way.  The Pac-10 wasn't much different from the Big 12 when it came to the Tier 1, 2, and 3 rights.  CU used to have a $9.99 monthly subscription to BuffsTV while in the Big 12 and you could watch some games live and watch football games on demand.  I would not mind a return to those types of arrangements for CU and the Pac-12.

And Larry Scott needs to keep his mouth more zipped up next time around...if he's still the commissioner.

1 hour ago, Jalapeno said:

I think the MWC could benefit from further exposure with ESPN+ and I think the MWC could have the upper hand over the Pac-12 when it comes to exposure until the Pac-12's media rights are renewed.  I personally liked it better as a fan when it comes to media access with CU in the Big 12 than the Pac-12.  Larry Scott, that narcissistic blowhard commissioner of the Pac-12, would have his pride wrecked if the MWC appears to be more ahead of the times than the Pac-12 by simply hooking up with ESPN+.

It's going to be interesting to see how UCLA & USC approaches the next media rights especially with new ADs on the way.  The Pac-10 wasn't much different from the Big 12 when it came to the Tier 1, 2, and 3 rights.  CU used to have a $9.99 monthly subscription to BuffsTV while in the Big 12 and you could watch some games live and watch football games on demand.  I would not mind a return to those types of arrangements for CU and the Pac-12.

And Larry Scott needs to keep his mouth more zipped up next time around...if he's still the commissioner.

If we are going to put our games that we show for free now behind ESPN+, we might as well put the MWDN behind a paywall and keep 100% of the fees. 

13 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

I think the MWC could benefit from further exposure with ESPN+ and I think the MWC could have the upper hand over the Pac-12 when it comes to exposure until the Pac-12's media rights are renewed. 

This is also how I feel.  ESPN+ gives the non-P5 schools exposure not available on linear TV.

Regarding increased costs for ESPN+, yes, that will happen.  But who cares whether one pays a fee to cable or satellite TV....or to ESPN+?  In the meantime, ESPN+ will provide many more telecasts of football and basketball games not otherwise available via linear tv.

Generally, a cable or satellite subscription with some kind of sports package will run $100/month.  So, for the four football months (Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec), the total cost for college football season is $400 and $1,200 for the year of 12 months..  For the time being, ESPN+ is $50/year. 

I watch linear TV for two reasons, news and college sports.  The news, whether liberal or conservative, is garbage and I no longer watch the news like I used to.  So, for me, it comes down to college sports, primarily football.  As soon Big 12 and AAC put most of their programming on ESPN+,  I am giving up linear TV.  In talking with friends, most of them feel the same way.  My guess is that once ESPN+ is up and running with lots of good programming, cable and satellite TV subscriptions are going to take a huge dive right away.

3 hours ago, Ibanez said:

This asshat only brought this subject up so he could remind us about the AAC and their ESPN contract.

And you all fell for it. Especially BYU fans. :suicide: 

Very relevant post on the future of football. One of the better ones around. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

19 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

yes, but the next step after that is bundling of them in to convenient groupings you may not need everything of!

16 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

This is also how I feel.  ESPN+ gives the non-P5 schools exposure not available on linear TV.

Regarding increased costs for ESPN+, yes, that will happen.  But who cares whether one pays a fee to cable or satellite TV....or to ESPN+?  In the meantime, ESPN+ will provide many more telecasts of football and basketball games not otherwise available via linear tv.

Generally, a cable or satellite subscription with some kind of sports package will run $100/month.  So, for the four football months (Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec), the total cost for college football season is $400 and $1,200 for the year of 12 months..  For the time being, ESPN+ is $50/year. 

I watch linear TV for two reasons, news and college sports.  The news, whether liberal or conservative, is garbage and I no longer watch the news like I used to.  So, for me, it comes down to college sports, primarily football.  As soon Big 12 and AAC put most of their programming on ESPN+,  I am giving up linear TV.  In talking with friends, most of them feel the same way.  My guess is that once ESPN+ is up and running with lots of good programming, cable and satellite TV subscriptions are going to take a huge dive right away.

Which is why ESPN won't put most of the programming on ESPN+.  They want you subscribed to ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews, etc.

16 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

As soon Big 12 and AAC put most of their programming on ESPN+,  I am giving up linear TV. 

That was a 12 year deal Don Aresco signed, Mr Wizard.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 9/19/2019 at 9:47 AM, Wyovanian said:

AT&T f-cked DirecTV up. Before AT&T, DirecTV customer service was stellar. After, it sank to the customer no-service model that CEO Randall Stephenson loves. He once threatened legal action against a customer who e-mailed him directly about a complaint. The guy is probably the biggest douchebag CEO in the U.S.

Wow, what a scumbag..

DirecTV will be much better without AT&T driving it into the ground, along with the internet medium..

New-Signature.jpg