Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

schmalls

After 50 years, the University of Wyoming apologized for the dismissal of 14 black football players

Guest #1Stunner
5 hours ago, kalua pig said:

exactly.haoles fvcked us out of that.

Don't forget the Haole Tax (travel subsidies) imposed on Hawaii by the MWC.... especially the far flung Front Range schools.

Seems racist for a school like Wyoming to demand an extra payment from mostly brown school.

@Warbow has long pointed out how this is a racist MWC demand and he's right.

13 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Don't forget the Haole Tax (travel subsidies) imposed on Hawaii by the MWC.... especially the far flung Front Range schools.

Seems racist for a school like Wyoming to demand an extra payment from mostly brown school.

@Warbow has long pointed out how this is a racist MWC demand and he's right.

The first black scholarship football player at BYU was in 1972? A year AFTER Alabama? Is this true?

5 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Wrong.

The LDS Institute of Religion on the University of Wyoming campus already did something on this 10 years ago for the 40th anniversary..   The University of Wyoming is only 10 years behind.

https://mormonheretic.org/2013/07/15/the-black-14-of-wyoming/

https://www.blackpast.org/african-american-history/wyoming-black-fourteen-1969/

No where in there was an apology for institutional racism or admission of wrongdoing ever uttered by mormon inc. This is what Goebbels would have called a propaganda failure.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

On 9/18/2019 at 8:59 AM, NevadaFan said:

The first black scholarship football player at BYU was in 1972? A year AFTER Alabama? Is this true?

When I was in the film room in 1972 in Logan in advance of the game, our players (especially the black guys) were howling about the one black kid, a db, that was a starter for yBu, His name was Bennie Smith.  According to this, he was a scholy player:  http://www.blacklds.org/history (look at the entry for 1972 in the timeline).  Don't know beyond that.  According to the site, he left school sometime during his one and only year.  Bennie was a very nice player.  We'd've taken him in Logan.

The earliest black player in Logan, of whom I'm aware, would have been Cornell Green, who graduated in 1962 and never played a down of football (he was a world-class basketball player), but who played DB for Dallas through the '60s and into the early '70s.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

On 9/17/2019 at 9:29 PM, Jimbo_Poke said:

A lot of rash decisions were made.  Eaton's decision to escalate from simply no arm bands to off the team, the jumping to a lawsuit against the state within days of the event, the University not finding a way to thread the needle, and the Pontiac, Michigan lawyer who prevented the opportunity of possible reconciliation between Eaton and the players.  Not all of the blame should be placed on Eaton.  For all his mistakes in this, he did make an effort to reconcile with the players, but was denied that chance. 

What a sad story, Jimbo.  Thanks for sharing it.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

4 hours ago, USU78 said:

When I was in the film room in 1972 in Logan in advance of the game, our players (especially the black guys) were howling about the one black kid, a db, that was a starter for yBu, His name was Bennie Smith.  According to this, he was a scholy player:  http://www.blacklds.org/history (look at the entry for 1972 in the timeline).  Don't know beyond that.  According to the site, he left school sometime during his one and only year.  Bennie was a very nice player.  We'd've taken him in Logan.

The earliest black player in Logan, of whom I'm aware, would have been Cornell Green, who graduated in 1962 and never played a down of football (he was a world-class basketball player), but who played DB for Dallas through the '60s and into the early '70s.

I believe  that Overton Curtis enrolled and play football for USU from 1956- 1958 if memory serves, there may have been one before that, but I'm not sure.

Guest #1Stunner
On 9/18/2019 at 10:33 PM, Wyovanian said:

No where in there was an apology for institutional racism or admission of wrongdoing ever uttered by mormon inc. This is what Goebbels would have called a propaganda failure.

First, incorrect.  You weren't at the event, obviously.  Fact, your claim that the LDS University of Wyoming Institute never did any events to honor the Black 14 is a lie.  They did it 10 years before the University of Wyoming---at the 40th year anniversary.

Second, bringing up the Nazis again like you always do?  Why do you accuse so many people of being Nazis?  You're always going Godwin's Law on this board.  That's sad...  Try harder.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

5 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

First, incorrect.  You weren't at the event, obviously.  Fact, your claim that the LDS University of Wyoming Institute never did any events to honor the Black 14 is a lie.  They did it 10 years before the University of Wyoming---at the 40th year anniversary.

Second, bringing up the Nazis again like you always do?  Why do you accuse so many people of being Nazis?  You're always going Godwin's Law on this board.  That's sad...  Try harder.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

mormon inc. , according the article, did nothing regarding the incident, except, perhaps, send someone, in the exact words of the article, "to smooth over feelings". The UW franchise made black armbands on the 40th anniversary, but that is all the article talks about. Where are the links to articles that talk about the church's apologies for racist policies? If nothing else, a token was used to further a facade of contrition.

As for your Godwin's Law assertion, my reference went right over your head. I was referring to the practice of propaganda and used the infamy of Goebbels as a propagandist to illustrate your utter failure as one.

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, Wyovanian said:

mormon inc. , according the article, did nothing regarding the incident, except, perhaps, send someone, in the exact words of the article, "to smooth over feelings". The UW franchise made black armbands on the 40th anniversary, but that is all the article talks about. Where are the links to articles that talk about the church's apologies for racist policies? If nothing else, a token was used to further a facade of contrition.

As for your Godwin's Law assertion, my reference went right over your head. I was referring to the practice of propaganda and used the infamy of Goebbels as a propagandist to illustrate your utter failure as one.

Why do you accuse everyone of being a Nazi all the time?   Stop with resorting to Godwin's law arguments when you look foolish.

Look, it took the University of Wyoming 50 years to do anything... The school didn't even participate in the 40 year anniversary event......  Which is sort of terrible. 

And yet you are trying to put this huge delay from the University of Wyoming on all Mormons.  As if they are running the University of Wyoming!?!   Stop deflecting and stop randomly bring up the German Nazis.

The last time you threw a temper tantrum like this is when Wyoming scheduled a football series with BYU...

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Why do you accuse everyone of being a Nazi all the time?   Stop with resorting to Godwin's law arguments when you look foolish.

Look, it took the University of Wyoming 50 years to do anything... The school didn't even participate in the 40 year anniversary event......  Which is sort of terrible. 

And yet you are trying to put this huge delay from the University of Wyoming on all Mormons.  As if they are running the University of Wyoming!?!   Stop deflecting and stop randomly bring up the German Nazis.

The last time you threw a temper tantrum like this is when Wyoming scheduled a football series with BYU...

Okay, Inartful Dodger, let's pretend I'm from Missouri and you show me where I called anyone a Nazi and where mormon inc. apologized for the institutional racism that led to the whole incident...

A Hillbilly is from Appalachia not from Wyoming. A Redneck Cowboy perhaps but not a Hillbilly,.It was missionary's that screwed over Hawaii,. They were all white though.

"Everything that does not destroy you makes you stronger except Aztec Football "

Freddy Nietzsche

17 hours ago, USU78 said:

What a sad story, Jimbo.  Thanks for sharing it.

One of the reasons I am likely in the minority in thinking instead of the institution apologizing the best thing that could have happened was get all involved together in private and let them work it out.  Nobody involved in this was 100% in the right.  What the 14 players wanted to do was expressly against University and WAC conference rules.  The sworn affidavits cast conflicting accounts on if the players were either refusing or not refusing to play BYU depending on if they were allowed to wear the armbands or not.  Have the 14 ever apologized over blowing up the season by wanting to do something that was against the rules? Others here have already highlighted the wrong done by Eaton in how he handled it.  For the life of me I wish it would have been a no we can't wear the armbands, take it out on their players on the field and show them your quality on the field.  The question I have is in regards to how it went from no armbands to you are off the team?  One account says it was instant the other account says it was in response to a refusal to play if not allowed to wear the armbands.  Unless you were in the room we can't be 100% sure.  I don't want to be harsh on the Black 14 but I also don't like seeing the one sided portrayal

22 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

You invoked a Nazi leader.  You should be ashamed.

Is there a department at byu* that's devoted to dissembling, prevarication, dodging, and deflecting? Or is it just in the DNA started by Joseph Smith? Excuse culture at its finest...

"Godwin's Law itself can be used as a distraction, diversion or even as censorship, fallaciously miscasting an opponent's argument as hyperbole when the comparisons made by the argument are actually appropriate."

19 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Is there a department at byu* that's devoted to dissembling, prevarication, dodging, and deflecting? Or is it just in the DNA started by Joseph Smith? Excuse culture at its finest...

I could add to your list.  I need to step out, don't want get banned. Nothing against stunner but I just have to step out of this conversation

Godwin's Law does not apply, as no comparisons were made.  Merely mentioning a Nazi is not sufficient.

Although suggesting someone has a Nazi haircut is a gray area.....

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.