Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

schmalls

After 50 years, the University of Wyoming apologized for the dismissal of 14 black football players

8 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

We can all thank byu* for being the root cause. Lloyd Eaton certainly handled it wrong, it was an opportunity akin to Women's Suffrage, and he and UW blew it, but it never would have happened had it not been for the mormon church and byu*'s institutional racism, something for which, so far, THEY haven't shown the least bit of contrition. They quietly altered the policy the Black 14 were protesting, but they have never admitted to racist policies.

If I turn on a light and see a mess on the floor, is it the mess my fault?

7 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

The person who should have apologized was Wyoming's head coach. Did he ever do so?

No. 

1 hour ago, Wyovanian said:

Incredibly ignorant statements.

No, Eaton's rant to the players was racist AF and not backing down indicates he never softened on the subject. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I am glad that they got an official apology, because I do believe they deserved it.  However, if it takes 50 years it strikes me as a bit gratuitous.  I wouldn't have been shocked if a couple of the 14 had told UW to pack sand.  It's good that they finally got their moment though.

Well, it's more than mormon inc. has done or will probably ever do...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

If I turn on a light and see a mess on the floor, is it the mess my fault?

No. 

No, Eaton's rant to the players was racist AF and not backing down indicates he never softened on the subject. 

The mess might not be your fault, but if you're the one who knows about it, it's your responsibility to both investigate and clean it up so it's not a threat or danger. Sorting out the blame comes later.

3 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

The mess might not be your fault, but if you're the one who knows about it, it's your responsibility to both investigate and clean it up so it's not a threat or danger. Sorting out the blame comes later.

So you're saying that BYU should have hired away Lloyd Eaton, leaving Wyoming to obviously hire Tom Osborne?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 hours ago, WAC_FAN said:

The players pretty much called him a racist:

“He went berserk and started blurting out this racial venom,” recalls Tony Gibson, a former Wyoming running back. “He didn’t even let us [tell] him what we wanted to do.

“If he had said no, we had decided that we were just going to play the game. We got kicked off for something we thought about doing. We never got the opportunity to protest. It happened so fast and we were so young. I remember walking out of there thinking, ‘What the heck just happened?’”

According to seven of the players, interviewed via a conference call, Eaton began the meeting with a declaration: “Gentlemen, let me save you a lot of time. You are no longer Wyoming Cowboys.”

When the players tried to respond, they said Eaton snapped, “Shut up.”

Then came the racial invectives. He made disparaging comments about Black fatherhood. He told players they should transfer to Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) that would tolerate protests. He claimed to rescue players from dire situations by giving them scholarships. And so on.

“The last thing he said to us was that we could go get on ‘Negro Relief,’” remembers Ted Williams, alluding to a derogatory term at the time for public assistance programs. “That hurt. I’m not a violent person, but I almost did something. But when I looked at the group, the group was so calm.”

This?!

A lot of rash decisions were made.  Eaton's decision to escalate from simply no arm bands to off the team, the jumping to a lawsuit against the state within days of the event, the University not finding a way to thread the needle, and the Pontiac, Michigan lawyer who prevented the opportunity of possible reconciliation between Eaton and the players.  Not all of the blame should be placed on Eaton.  For all his mistakes in this, he did make an effort to reconcile with the players, but was denied that chance. 

I watched the ESPN documentary on this. Opened my eyes to a lot of things I didn't know about that has happened in college sports. My autistic grandson ask me repeatedly about Sandusky and what it was about.  I knew at the time I could not tell him the truth of what happened. I really had a hard time of getting him to understand that it was best for him not to know yet. Now I find myself talking to him all the time about issues going on in sports.

16 hours ago, schmalls said:

No, it’s way too late. All the people that are responsible for the screw up and then the 14 that would really give a shit are probably dead. Like an apology is going to make something better now.  Just a bunch of PC guilt tripping dummies. 

kat.jpg

3 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

No, it’s way too late. All the people that are responsible for the screw up and then the 14 that would really give a shit are probably dead. Like an apology is going to make something better now.  Just a bunch of PC guilt tripping dummies. 

What is it with "Nevada XXXX" and ignorant statements?

Bohl needs to apologize for his Nazi haircut.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Wyoming needs to apologize for their apparel/shoe deal with the ex Nazi company Adidas.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

8 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

11 of the 14 are still alive and 8 of the 11 came to accept the apology.  So it meant something to them.

Guest #1Stunner
14 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

Well, it's more than mormon inc. has done or will probably ever do...

Wrong.

The LDS Institute of Religion on the University of Wyoming campus already did something on this 10 years ago for the 40th anniversary..   The University of Wyoming is only 10 years behind.

https://mormonheretic.org/2013/07/15/the-black-14-of-wyoming/

https://www.blackpast.org/african-american-history/wyoming-black-fourteen-1969/