Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebels18

Fat Shaming: A Good or a Bad Thing?

2 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Everyone has their vices. I really don't care personally that you're fat. I wouldn't treat you or anyone else differently because of it. What I'm worried about is the degradation of our country because of obesity. It's quite literally the biggest problem in the country. It's the leading cause of death, disease, and depression. That's more D's than you probably got on your report card in school. 

and who knows?! If you weren't such a fat tub of shit, and exercised and ate healthy regularly--MAYBE you wouldn't be such an angry person all the time. I'd say all I'm trying to do is give you some food for thought---but more food is probably the last thing you need. 

Are you also now lecturing others about not "being such an angry person all the time"?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

25 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Insulting my intelligence and making baseless assumptions about me is just another excuse weak people make to avoid the real issue. I'm healthy because I made that choice, it wasn't easy for me-- or anyone else who is. This famine resistant gene wasn't a country-wide problem 50 years ago. It's a societal problem that's plaguing the physical and mental health of this country--and I only take issue with it because I am an ardent patriot and obviously a very caring person. Since 1970, obesity rates are up in children and adults 10-FOLD and nearly 40% of Americans are obese and it's estimated in 5 years there will be more obese people than not----our current approach to the issue clearly isn't working. Holding an obese person's hand and telling them they're beautiful no matter what and make a list of one hundred excuses why it isn't their fault not only exacerbates the problem, but it's outright negligent and immoral. 

If fat shaming was as socially acceptable as shaming people who smoke, obesity rates in this country would plummet. We know this because it worked for smoking. In 1965, 42% of adults smoked cigarettes. Today that number is down to 14% and that's basically a direct result of smoke shaming via public awareness. I think we can all agree we're equally sick of seeing the nasty pictures and sad commercials.--But no one can doubt their effectiveness. 

do you think the opposite of shaming someone is telling them they're beautiful and making a list of excuses why it's not their fault?

10 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Why don't you come out and spend a day chukar hunting with me.  

Lets see who is fat and out of shape.

The only fat in this thread is between your ears.

Deal, but that's not really exercise. The dog is doing most of the work. I'll only go with you if you promise to be my hound and retrieve my game for me. I'll even pat you on the head and call you a good boy, whatever it takes to motivate you to get some exercise buddy. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

3 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Deal, but that's not really exercise. The dog is doing most of the work. I'll only go with you if you promise to be my hound and retrieve my game for me. I'll even pat you on the head and call you a good boy, whatever it takes to motivate you to get some exercise buddy. 

So you have never been chukar hunting.

This will be a lesson for you.

My brother in law is a marathon runner.   He doesn't like chukar hunting because it is too hard and is too long a day.

Set the day you can make it to Northern Nevada and I will give you that lesson.

44 minutes ago, Bob said:

Fattness is everyone's business when it inflates medical and insurance costs. 

It doesn't.  This is a trope.  Obamacare increased my medical costs and he's a skinny Grit smoking retard.

But you'll believe what the smart peoples in that thar TEE VEE tell you so there's really no point in arguing about it.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

31 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Everyone has their vices. I really don't care personally that you're fat. I wouldn't treat you or anyone else differently because of it. What I'm worried about is the degradation of our country because of obesity. It's quite literally the biggest problem in the country. It's the leading cause of death, disease, and depression. That's more D's than you probably got on your report card in school. 

and who knows?! If you weren't such a fat tub of shit, and exercised and ate healthy regularly--MAYBE you wouldn't be such an angry person all the time. I'd say all I'm trying to do is give you some food for thought---but more food is probably the last thing you need. 

The other issue that isn’t talked about when it comes to the obesity problem is the percentage of military eligible young adults has taken a serious hit. There are National Security ramifications because of obesity. PE needs to be brought back to schools. It needs to be mandatory from 1st through 12th grade.

I don’t have an issue if you as an adult want to be fat. Knock yourself out, it’s your life and choice. I do have a problem with fat kids. There’s no excuse for it. Parents need to make sure their kids are playing outside instead of sitting in their rooms playing video games. If you’re not doing that then you’re a shitty parent.

Just now, Uncle Juan said:

The other issue that isn’t talked about when it comes to the obesity problem is the percentage of military eligible young adults has taken a serious hit. There are National Security ramifications because of obesity. PE needs to be brought back to schools. It needs to be mandatory from 1st through 12th grade.

I don’t have an issue if you as an adult want to be fat. Knock yourself out, it’s your life and choice. I do have a problem with fat kids. There’s no excuse for it. Parents need to make sure their kids are playing outside instead of sitting in their rooms playing video games. If you’re not doing that then you’re a shitty parent.

my buddy's a pediatrician.  he says he has a really difficult time telling 12 year olds and their parents that something has to be done about their weight because they weigh more than he does.

https://m.activebeat.com/your-health/women/10-reasons-why-obesity-is-not-about-gluttony-and-sloth/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=AB_GGL_US_MOBI-SearchMarketing_TR&utm_content=g_m_303616144056&cus_widget=&utm_term=factors for obesity&cus_teaser=kwd-11384299502&utm_acid=3040947159&utm_caid=1599827680&utm_agid=60043962226&utm_os=&gclid=CjwKCAjw5fzrBRASEiwAD2OSVyZ2WfSc5bwERbVY0yifvY0ue702iuIzTWx9pwQwoIyE6L-3ka14DxoCQCgQAvD_BwE

Shaming is never the answer. If you can't be kind, be quiet 

One of the Final Five..........

55 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Dude, it's easy for lots of people. I know. It's easy for me. I am not a fan of sugar and my hobby is exercise. That makes it real easy to be lean. I'm not good at a whole shitload of other things, and I recognize that it's just my natural inclination and life position that makes things easy.

Insult your intelligence? Dude you post on the big boy forum about once every six months and get smacked so hard you run away with your tail between your legs. Rinse and repeat. Do you not think that's what happened?

Uh, what? Sure it was. Everyone just smoked. Mortality for that was a hell of a lot worse than being fat. 

Wait wait wait. You're trying to claim that it's fine to be an asshole to randos on the internet because you are a patriot? Furthermore, you also are trying to claim that fat shaming isn't our current cultural approach?

What? Do you live in reality?

Dude, fat shaming is infinitely more socially acceptable as shaming people who smoke. Fat shaming has been the single most socially acceptable activity during the largest increase of obesity in this country! Are you +++++ing kidding me? A few people on the internet are pushing back against the idea that being a complete asshole is fine and you're throwing a hissy fit?

OK, bob, we'll start by restricting your screen time and removing 1 vehicle from your residence. 

We've been on opposite ends of debates with the Convington debacle, Kavanaugh, politics, and now obesity--and not only have I eviscerated you in pretty much every discussion we've ever had--I get 100% vindication every time by being completely right in the end.--You are delusional if you believe otherwise. But you are a liberal after all, and Delusion and Liberalism go hand in hand. The Big boy forum? You must be live a very sad life if you think the discussion here is anything but a time-killer---but then again your post count reflects that you have way, way, way, way too much free time.

This natural inclination crap is just babble. Being fat or fit is a choice backed up by dozens of decisions we make every single day. Obesity is destroying this country from the inside out, and I think some tough love is absolutely necessary to discourage it. 

Fat shaming isn't our current approach at all. If anything we've seen a sudden rise in fat acceptance and praise (Big is Beautiful) Being fat has become the cultural norm nowadays and it's a travesty. We do not fat shame anywhere near the level we shame smokers. There's no gruesome adverts and commercials plastered everywhere to regularly shame obesity. Do fat people sometimes get shit in the real world? Sure, everyone does for one reason or another. But we don't shame obesity for anywhere near as much as we used to because everyone is fat now. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

12 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

We've been on opposite ends of debates with the Convington debacle, Kavanaugh, politics, and now obesity--and not only have I eviscerated you in pretty much every discussion we've ever had--I get 100% vindication every time by being completely right in the end.--You are delusional if you believe otherwise.

What in God's green earth are you talking about? You spout boilerplate ideas, when challenged even remotely you reveal that you've done zero research on any of your opinions, and you disappear from the thread by the time it's a day old. Also, Convington? That high school thing that I had to look up? I think I posted twice in it, maybe. Who do you think I am?

But you are a liberal after all, and Delusion and Liberalism go hand in hand. The Big boy forum? You must be live a very sad life if you think the discussion here is anything but a time-killer---but then again your post count reflects that you have way, way, way, way too much free time.

What do you think discussion in any part of the forum is? Hell, what do you think 90% of working out is? I mean, I'm a hell of a lot better at silly shit like walking on my hands or running a mile fast or holding myself horizontal than I would be otherwise. If I just cared about "healthy" I'd walk around for 30 minutes a day or just bike to work. 

This natural inclination crap is just babble. Being fat or fit is a choice backed up by dozens of decisions we make every single day. Obesity is destroying this country from the inside out, and I think some tough love is absolutely necessary to discourage it. 

Firstly, the antonym of fit is absolutely not "fat". I work out a lot and am in fairly good shape. I've been just destroyed by people who are chunky in about anything you choose to mention. Distance running, swimming, strength, you name it. Are they the exception? Sure. It still happens.

Hmm, funny, because based on little things like "what we allow in food", "how we allow food to be advertised", and "how cities are designed" you can measure how fit or fat people become. It seems like on a societal level, fatness is a choice that is already made for many people. 

Fat shaming isn't our current approach at all. If anything we've seen a sudden rise in fat acceptance and praise (Big is Beautiful) Being fat has become the cultural norm nowadays and it's a travesty. We do not fat shame anywhere near the level we shame smokers. There's no gruesome adverts and commercials plastered everywhere to regularly shame obesity. Do fat people sometimes get shit in the real world? Sure, everyone does for one reason or another. But we don't shame obesity for anywhere near as much as we used to because everyone is fat now. 

Yes, it is. Fat shaming is not only the current approach, it has been the current approach for the last 50 years at a minimum. That's also when we got fat. 

Dude, I called out your douchebag intention when you started this thread. You wanted a license to be a dick. What you got were two people who actually lost the weight telling you that even your fig leaf excuse of "well it's to reduce obesity! That's a good enough end to justify my want to be an asshole!" is wrong. 

No, fat shaming isn't good. It did nothing to curb a J curve of obesity in this country for 50 years. It did nothing for mug or blues, who were thoughtful enough to share - mug even said that it is counterproductive. It did nothing to make anyone lose weight.

I mean dude it is just patently obvious that you're far more interested in socially approved shaming than you are in improving anyone's life. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

I'm just gonna put it out here. I'm fat, I have a metabolic issue, and I have bipolar disorder.

I'm not ashamed of any of those things, but I oi wish I that I weighed less than I do now. Obesity isn't a "red flag" issue, nor is it one that can be solved by simply "eating less" like some idiots here have opined. One of my best friends eats her way to eventual obligivion because of suffering from bipolar disorder.... and another friend that I've had for the same amount of time has ben able to curb herself to the point where she's actually ale to "iive" as  a "normal" person.  

16 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I'm just gonna put it out here. I'm fat, I have a metabolic issue, and I have bipolar disorder.

I'm not ashamed of any of those things, but I oi wish I that I weighed less than I do now. Obesity isn't a "red flag" issue, nor is it one that can be solved by simply "eating less" like some idiots here have opined. One of my best friends eats her way to eventual obligivion because of suffering from bipolar disorder.... and another friend that I've had for the same amount of time has ben able to curb herself to the point where she's actually ale to "iive" as  a "normal" person.  

For me, it is absolutely about eating better (not necessarily less).  I am not "fat," but I travel a lot for work and just don't eat well while on the road.  Once I get off the road, I usually have to lose 10 to 15 pounds.  Simply exercising more does not do it for me.  I have to limit calories.  I can usually drop those 15 pounds in 6 to 8 weeks.

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

What in God's green earth are you talking about? You spout boilerplate ideas, when challenged even remotely you reveal that you've done zero research on any of your opinions, and you disappear from the thread by the time it's a day old. Also, Convington? That high school thing that I had to look up? I think I posted twice in it, maybe. Who do you think I am?

What do you think discussion in any part of the forum is? Hell, what do you think 90% of working out is? I mean, I'm a hell of a lot better at silly shit like walking on my hands or running a mile fast or holding myself horizontal than I would be otherwise. If I just cared about "healthy" I'd walk around for 30 minutes a day or just bike to work. 

Firstly, the antonym of fit is absolutely not "fat". I work out a lot and am in fairly good shape. I've been just destroyed by people who are chunky in about anything you choose to mention. Distance running, swimming, strength, you name it. Are they the exception? Sure. It still happens.

Hmm, funny, because based on little things like "what we allow in food", "how we allow food to be advertised", and "how cities are designed" you can measure how fit or fat people become. It seems like on a societal level, fatness is a choice that is already made for many people. 

Yes, it is. Fat shaming is not only the current approach, it has been the current approach for the last 50 years at a minimum. That's also when we got fat. 

Dude, I called out your douchebag intention when you started this thread. You wanted a license to be a dick. What you got were two people who actually lost the weight telling you that even your fig leaf excuse of "well it's to reduce obesity! That's a good enough end to justify my want to be an asshole!" is wrong. 

No, fat shaming isn't good. It did nothing to curb a J curve of obesity in this country for 50 years. It did nothing for mug or blues, who were thoughtful enough to share - mug even said that it is counterproductive. It did nothing to make anyone lose weight.

I mean dude it is just patently obvious that you're far more interested in socially approved shaming than you are in improving anyone's life. 

I've provided specific examples and statistics in nearly every post I've made in this thread. --you're the one who hasn't provided anything substantial other than "Dude, some of my fat friends are more athletic than I am, so therefore they're fit"  and other anecdotal nonsense. That weak arguing mixed with personal insults isn't going to sway my valiant efforts to raise awareness to the obesity epidemic on this board. Just because fat people possess athletic skills and traits, doesn't change the fact they have visceral and subcutaneous fat that's slowly killing them and drastically increasing their odds of getting heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimers, stroke, etc. Just like with your chunky friends you run and swim with--you're really struggling to keep up here, and I think you should just tap-out. The only reason I lose interest in these types of threads is I get tired of slapping you around. (Plus, you and your 26,000 posts will never stop) 

Fat Shaming is not the current approach, fat acceptance/body positivity is what's gaining traction and that is whats truly counterproductive. Women like Tess Holliday spreading misinformation to young kids that a person can be 300 lbs and healthy--its irresponsible and disgusting. 

image.png.40ab84e069e74a740341e86a896166d1.png

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

45 minutes ago, retrofade said:

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

I'm shocked that @Rebels18 would be a complete shitheel. I never would have guessed that something of that nature could ever happen around here. Oh no, whatever shall we do.

So you're telling me now not only are you stupid, but you're unemployed and fat as well?

Congratulations, you're officially too big of a loser for me to even bother insulting anymore. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

8 minutes ago, Bob said:

People make it so complicated when it's not. Except descendants of Russian serfs who are just fat and can't ever lose weight all you have to do is exercise more and eat less. You are guaranteed to lose weight if you do this. 

For me it is that simple.  I just want to lose the pounds more than I want every meal to be the most satisfying it can be.  I have two really over weight brothers.  They simply eat too much of all the wrong things.  I worry for them because they are entering heart attack age.  They are my brothers, so I tease them mercilessly about their weight (they are twins).  However, the teasing does not ever change what they do.  I have had serious talks with one of them about doing something about it.  I know he is at least thinking about it now.

1 hour ago, Rebels18 said:

I've provided specific examples and statistics in nearly every post I've made in this thread. --you're the one who hasn't provided anything substantial other than "Dude, some of my fat friends are more athletic than I am, so therefore they're fit"  and other anecdotal nonsense. That weak arguing mixed with personal insults isn't going to sway my valiant efforts to raise awareness to the obesity epidemic on this board. Just because fat people possess athletic skills and traits, doesn't change the fact they have visceral and subcutaneous fat that's slowly killing them and drastically increasing their odds of getting heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimers, stroke, etc. Just like with your chunky friends you run and swim with--you're really struggling to keep up here, and I think you should just tap-out. The only reason I lose interest in these types of threads is I get tired of slapping you around. (Plus, you and your 26,000 posts will never stop) 

Fat Shaming is not the current approach, fat acceptance/body positivity is what's gaining traction and that is whats truly counterproductive. Women like Tess Holliday spreading misinformation to young kids that a person can be 300 lbs and healthy--its irresponsible and disgusting. 

image.png.40ab84e069e74a740341e86a896166d1.png

So... what's your argument dude? That fat shaming is good? That it will successfully curb obesity?

You already have been told differently by people on this board who were fat and successfully lost weight.

What else do you have? Are you trying to say that your original argument is to let others know that fat people are a thing? Are you also honestly arguing that fat shaming wasn't the default setting of humanity until, like, 2 years ago?

Yes, dipshits who think that having 60% body fat are wrong. Idiots who think that 140 lb and 5'10 is a "heroin junky" are wrong. But, dude, you are also wrong. No, fat shaming is not good. No, fat shaming is not a successful way to have a healthier society. No, you are not going to get a license for your pathetically obvious attempt to say you're doing people a service by being an unmitigated asshole to them.