Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebels18

Fat Shaming: A Good or a Bad Thing?

29 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

The Idaho National Guard also had some A-10's down there.  For some reason, they didn't race.  I guess they wanted to make it fair for the other planes.  :thumbsup:

Umm...the Warthog is pretty cool but not very fast.

Hell, they have old P51 Mustangs that will blow the flaps off of an A10.

29 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

I was teased growing up because I was so skinny, I had to wear boy's pants, as I had no hips or anything.....  Even my Mom's friends said I was either anorexic or bulimic and my Mom refused to see it.  There shouldn't be any shaming!!!  Fat or skinny!!!!!  I wish people would think about, walking a mile in the other person's shoes!

I eat a lot. Twice a day, and both meals are usually heavy on protein. And I drink what I consider a lot of soda too. Yet, I have a crazy high metabolism because I walk, on average, 3-4 miles a day, and as a result, I weigh in at 140 lbs. People always remark that I look like a junky or unhealthy and I laugh because I can out walk/hike/run a lot of people. Hell, I can jog a mile while smoking Marlboro reds. So it boggles my mind when people think I look like shit because I'm super skinny.

Really the key to losing weight is walking honestly, probably moreso than eating healthy. Obviously watching what you eat is a good idea and probably something more people should do, but merely walking will get your metabolism kicked up to where you can eat practically anything without abandon.

I also say this as someone who was at one point 10 years ago 225 lbs. I dropped a copious amount of weight by simply cutting off the ridiculous amount of soda I was drinking (was averaging a six pack of Mountain Dew per day at the time) as well as my beer intake (was drinking another 6 pack of that per day) and I dropped about 50 lbs in a year. The rest just came off as I began to slowly go from being a dude who drove everywhere to a dude who walked everywhere. Plus walking gives you a feel for a place you don't get in a car.

I have a car. I use it to drive places that are definitely within walking distance, but anything within a 2 mile radius I'll walk without hesitation.

11 minutes ago, Bob said:

Goll damnit, I'm having such a hard time biting my tongue. I'm just going to say that being fat is not good. 

Also, the hypocrisy of liberals no no bounds. 40k die a month from being fat, and how many a month die from alcohol? And a minuscule amount die from ''mass shootings'' and that 's all they talk about and  Beto's here blabbing about "I'm going to take away your guns". +++++ you liberals. If liberals really cared about humanity they would focus on other, way more important issues. 

Absolutely agree.

I’m jealous of people that can eat anything they want and never gain a pound. I have a good friend like that, but he is a bit on the hyper side. Lol. I’ve never had a big weight problem, I’m 6’1” and 190 pounds and fluctuate plus or minus 5 pounds from year to year. However, I do have to be careful what I eat and get some exercise 3-4 times a week. 

However, I understand that many people really struggle with weight gain and I’m positive weight shaming doesn’t help. I also understand obesity is a national concern and whatever we can do to reduce the problem is good for everyone. 

16 hours ago, mugtang said:

That is absolute horseshit.  

I used to be morbidly obese.  It’s not as easy as “oh just diet and exercise” and you’ll be fine and lose the weight.  Obesity is a disease.  It’s a vicious cycle of suck.  You’re obese so you hate your life.  Food becomes a comfort and your best friend.  People make fun of you for being fat, which causes you to eat more and get fatter.  Exercising when you’re morbidly obese physically hurts your body.  And because it hurts you don’t do it which causes you to become less motivated to exercise.  

The only reason I lost the weight is because I had bariatric surgery.  Because I’ve lost the weight I’m motivated to keep it off.  But shaming fat people isn’t the answer.  The body positivity movement needs to die a miserable death, but don’t put down people who are fat.  Instead maybe you should encourage them to get healthy.  Maybe become a safety valve for them, where they can lean on you with their food issues and other issues and instead of eating their feelings you help them move beyond that.   

Obesity is a disease, but the real epidemic is the lack of agency people have taking responsibility for it. No one is born obese, It's not like a person was perfectly healthy and was tragically stricken with obesity. It's self-inflicted disease that requires years and years of dedicated, habitual gluttony and laziness. Then as a result of said gluttony and laziness, a morbidly obese person's next excuse is they become depressed they made themselves fat, so they become even fatter?? This line of logic just doesn't make any sense to me, it's just kicking the can down the road and not having accountability for their actions.  All jokes aside, the point of this thread wasn't really to endorse enabling people to be assholes to fat people. 

and it really is just as easy as diet and exercise. The exercise isn't even that necessary, it just hastens the process. It's actually as easy as having the discipline to not consume more calories than you're burning. I'm not talking about only eating twigs and berries either---just severely cutting down on sugar and carbohydrates. That's why fad diets like Keto are so popular these days because fat literally just falls off of people's bodies if they limit their carbs/sugar to under 15/g a day for a TWO months. This is all backed by scientific fact. I challenge you to try it Mugtang, you will be a sexy mofo after. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

27 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Umm...the Warthog is pretty cool but not very fast.

Hell, they have old P51 Mustangs that will blow the flaps off of an A10.

Umm, I was being sarcastic!!!  How many times to I have to tell everyone, I'm from Wyoming and smart ass is our second language!!  The A10 was not built for speed but to obliterate anything on the ground!

down in a hole.jpg

1 minute ago, Rebels18 said:

Obesity is a disease, but the real epidemic is the lack of agency people have taking responsibility for it. No one is born obese, It's not like a person was perfectly healthy and was tragically stricken with obesity. It's self-inflicted disease that requires years and years of dedicated, habitual gluttony and laziness. Then as a result of said gluttony and laziness, a morbidly obese person's next excuse is they become depressed they made themselves fat, so they become even fatter?? This line of logic just doesn't make any sense to me, it's just kicking the can down the road and not having accountability for the All jokes aside, the point of this thread wasn't really to endorse enabling people to be assholes to fat people. 

and it really is just as easy as diet and exercise. The exercise isn't even that necessary, it just hastens the process. It's actually as easy as having the discipline to not consume more calories than you're burning. I'm not talking about only eating twigs and berries either---just severely cutting down on sugar and carbohydrates. That's why fad diets like Keto are so popular these days because fat literally just falls off of people's bodies if they limit their carbs/sugar to under 15/g a day for a TWO months. This is all backed by scientific fact. I challenge you to try it Mugtang, you will be a sexy mofo after. 

I mean, that disease is in a large part caused by genes that make people exceptionally resistant to famine. 

I think that being thin is easy for you, so you assume that your situation is everyone's situation. Should I start a thread on how we should shame MWCboard tards?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

50 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I eat a lot. Twice a day, and both meals are usually heavy on protein. And I drink what I consider a lot of soda too. Yet, I have a crazy high metabolism because I walk, on average, 3-4 miles a day, and as a result, I weigh in at 140 lbs. People always remark that I look like a junky or unhealthy and I laugh because I can out walk/hike/run a lot of people. Hell, I can jog a mile while smoking Marlboro reds. So it boggles my mind when people think I look like shit because I'm super skinny.

Really the key to losing weight is walking honestly, probably moreso than eating healthy. Obviously watching what you eat is a good idea and probably something more people should do, but merely walking will get your metabolism kicked up to where you can eat practically anything without abandon.

I also say this as someone who was at one point 10 years ago 225 lbs. I dropped a copious amount of weight by simply cutting off the ridiculous amount of soda I was drinking (was averaging a six pack of Mountain Dew per day at the time) as well as my beer intake (was drinking another 6 pack of that per day) and I dropped about 50 lbs in a year. The rest just came off as I began to slowly go from being a dude who drove everywhere to a dude who walked everywhere. Plus walking gives you a feel for a place you don't get in a car.

I have a car. I use it to drive places that are definitely within walking distance, but anything within a 2 mile radius I'll walk without hesitation.

There's a reason why everyone looks good on college campuses and it isn't just age. We should have planned cities to be walkable (and less driveable).

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

31 minutes ago, happycamper said:

There's a reason why everyone looks good on college campuses and it isn't just age. We should have planned cities to be walkable (and less driveable).

oh man i so wish we did this.  it'd make life very much more enjoyable as far as i'm concerned.

3 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I mean, that disease is in a large part caused by genes that make people exceptionally resistant to famine. 

I think that being thin is easy for you, so you assume that your situation is everyone's situation. Should I start a thread on how we should shame MWCboard tards?

Insulting my intelligence and making baseless assumptions about me is just another excuse weak people make to avoid the real issue. I'm healthy because I made that choice, it wasn't easy for me-- or anyone else who is. This famine resistant gene wasn't a country-wide problem 50 years ago. It's a societal problem that's plaguing the physical and mental health of this country--and I only take issue with it because I am an ardent patriot and obviously a very caring person. Since 1970, obesity rates are up in children and adults 10-FOLD and nearly 40% of Americans are obese and it's estimated in 5 years there will be more obese people than not----our current approach to the issue clearly isn't working. Holding an obese person's hand and telling them they're beautiful no matter what and make a list of one hundred excuses why it isn't their fault not only exacerbates the problem, but it's outright negligent and immoral. 

If fat shaming was as socially acceptable as shaming people who smoke, obesity rates in this country would plummet. We know this because it worked for smoking. In 1965, 42% of adults smoked cigarettes. Today that number is down to 14% and that's basically a direct result of smoke shaming via public awareness. I think we can all agree we're equally sick of seeing the nasty pictures and sad commercials.--But no one can doubt their effectiveness. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

14 minutes ago, Bob said:

Not to interject, but we all pay more more insurance and medical care because of fat people. The world would be a better place if fat people weren't fat. 

You only pay more if they are on a socialized medical care plan.

Even then it is your choice.

We also pay more for smokers, drinkers, people who guzzle cola, those who eat like shit and aren't fat.   We pay more for you cubicle warriors who don't excersize but are still soft butts.

So that is no excuse.

The world would be a much better place without small minded ignorant assholes like you and the OP.

2 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Insulting my intelligence and making baseless assumptions about me is just another excuse weak people make to avoid the real issue. I'm healthy because I made that choice, it wasn't easy for me-- or anyone else who is. This famine resistant gene wasn't a country-wide problem 50 years ago. It's a societal problem that's plaguing the physical and mental health of this country--and I only take issue with it because I am an ardent patriot and obviously a very caring person. Since 1970, obesity rates are up in children and adults 10-FOLD and nearly 40% of Americans are obese and it's estimated in 5 years there will be more obese people than not----our current approach to the issue clearly isn't working. Holding an obese person's hand and telling them they're beautiful no matter what and make a list of one hundred excuses why it isn't their fault not only exacerbates the problem, but it's outright negligent and immoral. 

If fat shaming was as socially acceptable as shaming people who smoke, obesity rates in this country would plummet. We know this because it worked for smoking. In 1965, 42% of adults smoked cigarettes. Today that number is down to 14% and that's basically a direct result of smoke shaming via public awareness. I think we can all agree we're equally sick of seeing the nasty pictures and sad commercials.--But no one can doubt their effectiveness. 

The only societal problem we have is people like you who somehow think they deserve to decide how other people live.

You are a miserable small minded person.

I bet you have your own addictions.   Only someone ashamed of himself would be so worried about shaming others.

44 minutes ago, happycamper said:

That's how I got started walking in the first place. Started out walking around the Rocky Mountain College campus in Billings every day followed by a hike in the Rims above the house, and then, once I moved to Beirut, it was a walking city and it became my exclusive mode of transportation within the city. I was doing 7 miles a day at one point. I never felt more alive.

3 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

The only societal problem we have is people like you who somehow think they deserve to decide how other people live.

You are a miserable small minded person.

I bet you have your own addictions.   Only someone ashamed of himself would be so worried about shaming others.

Everyone has their vices. I really don't care personally that you're fat. I wouldn't treat you or anyone else differently because of it. What I'm worried about is the degradation of our country because of obesity. It's quite literally the biggest problem in the country. It's the leading cause of death, disease, and depression. That's more D's than you probably got on your report card in school. 

and who knows?! If you weren't such a fat tub of shit, and exercised and ate healthy regularly--MAYBE you wouldn't be such an angry person all the time. I'd say all I'm trying to do is give you some food for thought---but more food is probably the last thing you need. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

Just now, Bob said:

You're the one who's fat not me, and unless you pay out of pocket for everything what you say isn't true. It costs more for insurance companies to insure anybody the more people go to the doctor and use their insurance, and you go to the doctor way more if you're fat. And my family is nearly in the 1% of wage earners and for sure will be within the next 5 years and my dick is way bigger and my dad can beat up your dad.   

Fat people pay more for their private insurance.   You don't pay for them genius.

Maybe that fat between your ears is your problem.

1 minute ago, Rebels18 said:

Everyone has their vices. I really don't care personally that you're fat. I wouldn't treat you or anyone else differently because of it. What I'm worried about is the degradation of our country because of obesity. It's quite literally the biggest problem in the country. It's the leading cause of death, disease, and depression. That's more D's than you probably got on your report card in school. 

and who knows?! If you weren't such a fat tub of shit, and exercised and ate healthy regularly--MAYBE you wouldn't be such an angry person all the time. I'd say all I'm trying to do is give you some food for thought---but more food is probably the last thing you need. 

Why don't you come out and spend a day chukar hunting with me.  

Lets see who is fat and out of shape.

The only fat in this thread is between your ears.

Insulting my intelligence and making baseless assumptions about me is just another excuse weak people make to avoid the real issue. I'm healthy because I made that choice, it wasn't easy for me-- or anyone else who is.

Dude, it's easy for lots of people. I know. It's easy for me. I am not a fan of sugar and my hobby is exercise. That makes it real easy to be lean. I'm not good at a whole shitload of other things, and I recognize that it's just my natural inclination and life position that makes things easy.

Insult your intelligence? Dude you post on the big boy forum about once every six months and get smacked so hard you run away with your tail between your legs. Rinse and repeat. Do you not think that's what happened?

This famine resistant gene wasn't a country-wide problem 50 years ago.

Uh, what? Sure it was. Everyone just smoked. Mortality for that was a hell of a lot worse than being fat. 

It's a societal problem that's plaguing the physical and mental health of this country--and I only take issue with it because I am an ardent patriot and obviously a very caring person. Since 1970, obesity rates are up in children and adults 10-FOLD and nearly 40% of Americans are obese and it's estimated in 5 years there will be more obese people than not----our current approach to the issue clearly isn't working. Holding an obese person's hand and telling them they're beautiful no matter what and make a list of one hundred excuses why it isn't their fault not only exacerbates the problem, but it's outright negligent and immoral. 

Wait wait wait. You're trying to claim that it's fine to be an asshole to randos on the internet because you are a patriot? Furthermore, you also are trying to claim that fat shaming isn't our current cultural approach?

What? Do you live in reality?

Dude, fat shaming is infinitely more socially acceptable as shaming people who smoke. Fat shaming has been the single most socially acceptable activity during the largest increase of obesity in this country! Are you +++++ing kidding me? A few people on the internet are pushing back against the idea that being a complete asshole is fine and you're throwing a hissy fit?

Just now, Bob said:

Fattness is everyone's business when it inflates medical and insurance costs. 

OK, bob, we'll start by restricting your screen time and removing 1 vehicle from your residence.