Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

A war in the Middle East is about to happen

13 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

The Houthis have the capability to do this. Beyond their smaller drones they have medium sized drones capable of dropping payloads.

With regards to the article, people suggesting they lack the capability to do this are generally the same people who want a confrontation with Iran, which isn't surprising given how many of the Washington-based Middle East policy/think tanks are Gulf-funded.

The article did say that the Houthis had received longer range drones recently, but said that this strike was probably still beyond their range. You may be right about motivation, though, because immediately after pointing at the Shia militia they went on about the presence of Al Quds. How ironic would it be if Bolton gets fired and a few days later we attack Iran.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 9/15/2019 at 11:40 AM, Billings said:

War has not stopped in the middle east over the last 50 years. Iraq and Iran went at it forever.  They still would be fighting expect for US meddling and a nation building failed attempt . (again)

The single dumbest thing a Republican administration has done in my lifetime.  And that's saying a lot given the current administration.  The invasion of Iraq is why I left the GOP.  As bad as Saddam's government was, removing the biggest counterweight to Iranian power in the middle east was just dumb Dumb DUMB!

According to the WSJ, we have determined it was the Iranians* and have shared an intelligence assessment with the Saudis:

"The assessment, which the U.S. has yet to share publicly, comes as President Trump raises the prospect of the U.S. and Saudi Arabia joining forces to launch a retaliatory strike on Iran."

Qui bono? :hmmm:

*How. Convenient.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

I find it pretty f*cking ironic that according to the Saudis, who are engaged in a proxy war with Iran already,

"Saudi officials said they haven’t yet reached the same conclusion that Iran was the staging ground for the attacks, and indicated that the information shared by the Americans wasn’t definitive." 

(from the above article) :hmmm:

5 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I find it pretty f*cking ironic that according to the Saudis, who are engaged in a proxy war with Iran already,

Maybe they don’t trust us to have their back and are worried it could go very badly for them.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

6 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Maybe they don’t trust us to have their back and are worried it could go very badly for them.

Can you blame them? Regardless, something about it reminds me of this story:

"A part-time firefighter was charged today with deliberately setting the Rodeo wildfire, which combined with another blaze a week ago to become the largest in Arizona's history.

Prosecutors said he started the fire hoping to make money fighting it."

Start a fire, rattle sabers until dawn, put out said fire, collect Nobel at the door. :shrug:

24 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

According to the WSJ, we have determined it was the Iranians* and have shared an intelligence assessment with the Saudis:

*How. Convenient.

Something something grand bargain. 

17 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I believe this whole conflict with Iran would have been avoided under Obama. This is a direct result of Trump withdrawing from the treaty with Iran and backing Muhammad Bone Saw in Yemen. 

I think the best action is Obama / Libya.

110926run_defense710.jpg

8 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Are you invested in Big Oil?

While I do own a variety of oil stocks in my portfolio (both international and domestic), my main impetus in rooting for the Houthis is my pure, unadulterated spite for the House of Saud. Plus, I love seeing the Houthis get revenge for all the suffering inflicted by Saudi bombs over the last many years.

It's going to be really interesting to see how this escalates. We could be in store for one wild ride.

Honestly, back on the portfolio though, probably a good time to look at shale producers.

1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

While I do own a variety of oil stocks in my portfolio (both international and domestic), my main impetus in rooting for the Houthis is my pure, unadulterated spite for the House of Saud. Plus, I love seeing the Houthis get revenge for all the suffering inflicted by Saudi bombs over the last many years.

It's going to be really interesting to see how this escalates. We could be in store for one wild ride.

Honestly, back on the portfolio though, probably a good time to look at shale producers.

I really doubt the Houthis really had anything to do with this strike.

_108831346_abqaiq_image2_976-nc.png

15 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Can you blame them? Regardless, something about it reminds me of this story:

Start a fire, rattle sabers until dawn, put out said fire, collect Nobel at the door. :shrug:

Trump is the perfect US leader to be leading our saber rattling, his mental [in]stability] plus small hands waving the weapons is sure to inflict fear in the enemies.

110926run_defense710.jpg

2 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Trump is the perfect US leader to be leading our saber rattling, his mental [in]stability] plus small hands waving the weapons is sure to inflict fear in both friends and enemies alike. Well, in everybody. He'll instill a sense of fear and foreboding doom in everybody. Like the whole damn planet.

FIFY. :shots:

Seriously tho, I've long maintained his lack of compass can indeed work to our favor, tho I also believe such gains are more than offset by the inevitable fallout of a lack of cohesive policy.

And I don't' know if the administration actually wants a conflict, or simply wants to sell a conflict just so they can then abate it and claim credit for doing so (the more probable option if I were a betting man). Remember, an inordinate amount of this president's "policies" are based wholly on optics.

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Proxy wars are fun! War wars suck. When you lose a war war, it isn't your client that loses, it's you. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

56 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I really doubt the Houthis really had anything to do with this strike.

_108831346_abqaiq_image2_976-nc.png

If you believe Saudi intelligence you're a far more trusting person than I am. The Saudis blaming Iran serves them a lot more than admitting that the hillbillies they've been bludgeoning the last half-decade actually pulled off a crippling attack.

That said, I'm not going to get into a whole lot of what I know exactly about a lot of this nor how I know it exactly, but I can say without question that Houthi capabilities for these strikes has improved markedly in the last 24 months.

The glaring incompetence of the Saudi military shines through once agin with this incident. They’ve known for 2 years about the UAV capabilities of the Iranians and the Houthis, they’ve spent a shit ton of cash on air defense systems and the technical support to go with it, yet they failed to detect this attack on their only legitimate industry. I guarantee 30 min after this happened there were at least 50 Raytheon Tech Reps getting phone calls telling them to pack their trash and fly to Riyadh. This is next level suck for Saudi radar operators.

4 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

*How. Convenient.

I might agree with you if Trump had predicted three years into his predecessor's first term that Obama would start a war in order to enhance his chances of reelection.

Oh wait . . .

Boom goes the dynamite.