Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thedude15

Any thoughts on the MW moving their basketball tournament up a week?

To me this is a bad move. I mean no "major" conference plays their tourney two weeks before the NCAAT starts. I get the move if the goal is to move to the t mobile arena (ie we would have to bump it up a week because the Pac-12 gets it during the main week). BUT aren't we just staying at Thomas and Mack? Is this move just for the 2019/20 for logistic reasons or is it permanent? 

Also doesn't this open up are NCAAT representative(s) to be rusty for their first NCAAT game?

To me the only real way to salvage this is to set up some MW/WCC challenge for the traditional championship Saturday. But that would still be a pretty poor answer and would really only lead to a couple of interesting games and a bunch of meaningless ones. Plus everyone would have to schedule one less OOC during the traditional season.  I mean last year you could have had Utah State @Gonzaga, Saint Marys @Nevada, Fresno@BYU, San Francisco @SDSU, ect. The top two games would be fun to watch and have NCAAT seeding implications, games 3/4 could have decided the last NIT bid but the other 6 games would be basically be scrimmages. 

The move up is a one year thing, it’s due to scheduling issues in Vegas.  It’s not permanent. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

5 hours ago, thedude15 said:

To me this is a bad move. I mean no "major" conference plays their tourney two weeks before the NCAAT starts. I get the move if the goal is to move to the t mobile arena (ie we would have to bump it up a week because the Pac-12 gets it during the main week). BUT aren't we just staying at Thomas and Mack? Is this move just for the 2019/20 for logistic reasons or is it permanent? 

Also doesn't this open up are NCAAT representative(s) to be rusty for their first NCAAT game?

To me the only real way to salvage this is to set up some MW/WCC challenge for the traditional championship Saturday. But that would still be a pretty poor answer and would really only lead to a couple of interesting games and a bunch of meaningless ones. Plus everyone would have to schedule one less OOC during the traditional season.  I mean last year you could have had Utah State @Gonzaga, Saint Marys @Nevada, Fresno@BYU, San Francisco @SDSU, ect. The top two games would be fun to watch and have NCAAT seeding implications, games 3/4 could have decided the last NIT bid but the other 6 games would be basically be scrimmages. 

not enough hotel rooms available that week for this next year, and every third (or fourth?) year after that, due to a huge convention in town that week.

26 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

They should have kept the same schedule and moved the tournament to San Diego as a one time deal.

but per 4UNLV this issues is going to come up every 3-4 years. I do agree though it might give the MW a chance to rotate the tournament every 3-4 years. Why not rotate the tournament to every MW team that makes a bid for it. I mean lets says 6 schools (besides UNLV) are interested and this issues comes up every 3 years. It would take 18 years for each interested school to host it once. The tournament would still primarily be in Vegas both other schools would get a chance to host 

27 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I like the idea of moving it up a week. It gives the conference champion and at large selections a chance to rest before the NCAA tournament. 

I agree.  I don't think the week will let teams get rusty if the coaching is done right.  It might also be a chance to proactively address any academic issues that might be a distraction once the tourney starts.

1 hour ago, thedude15 said:

but per 4UNLV this issues is going to come up every 3-4 years. I do agree though it might give the MW a chance to rotate the tournament every 3-4 years. Why not rotate the tournament to every MW team that makes a bid for it. I mean lets says 6 schools (besides UNLV) are interested and this issues comes up every 3 years. It would take 18 years for each interested school to host it once. The tournament would still primarily be in Vegas both other schools would get a chance to host 

Probably because no one is going to Laramie, lol. or AFA, or CSU, or USU, for that matter.

But I wouldn't mind going to San Diego every 3 or 4 years.

6 hours ago, thedude15 said:

Big Ten did it last year, I think they’re a “major”. Conference.

37 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Phoenix, whenever this situation presents itself. Easy to get to, plenty of facilities, plenty to do, warm weather destination in winter, and a truly neutral venue...

Not sure if Viejas is big enough when MW teams are doing well, but there's a lot more to do in San Diego than Phoenix.. although in March I guess baseball spring training is going on in Phoenix. SD if I had a choice.