Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alum93

CSU Makes the Headlines

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/college-will-not-punish-white-students-in-blackface-citing-their-first-amendment-rights-235311921.html

Four white Colorado college students, who caused outrage on social media for posing in blackface, will not be punished by their school. According to university officials, the students involved are protected by their First Amendment rights.

The photo, captioned "Wakanda forevaa," a reference to Marvel's “Black Panther” film, was initially shared on Instagram last weekend and received almost immediate criticism and calls for Colorado State University to punish the four students.

9 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Good, it is not CSU's role to "punish" these students for said actions.

i know, right?  I mean, who doesn't want a bunch of white college students wearing black face and partying on their campus.  

27 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Good, it is not CSU's role to "punish" these students for said actions.

You are right.  It’s CSU’s decision if they want this type of thing associated with their university or not.  I would kick them out.  The university of Phoenix always has room.  

Posted Image

20 minutes ago, alum93 said:

i know, right?  I mean, who doesn't want a bunch of white college students wearing black face and partying on their campus.  

They probably have already received enough consequences for their actions. Heaven forbid they actually get educated in the matter and actually change their minds and ways.

110926run_defense710.jpg

8 minutes ago, edluvar said:

You are right.  It’s CSU’s decision if they want this type of thing associated with their university or not.  I would kick them out.  The university of Phoenix always has room.  

Be honest Ed, you prefer gulags and North Korea style reeducation encampments, unfortunately, they are not yet available in Colorado.

110926run_defense710.jpg

CSU is a place of learning and it doesn't always happen in the classroom so I view this as a good move by the school.  Now, why hasn't anyone tried "whiteface" since I haven't heard of a thing.

Just now, Jalapeno said:

CSU is a place of learning and it doesn't always happen in the classroom so I view this as a good move by the school.  Now, why hasn't anyone tried "whiteface" since I haven't heard of a thing.

They're called mime's and they should all be locked up!  :pitchforks:

19 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

They probably have already received enough consequences for their actions. Heaven forbid they actually get educated in the matter and actually change their minds and ways.

So don't punish them and hope they get educated and change their minds?  Sounds like a great plan.  I would put them on some type of probation with the understanding another incident will come with expulsion.  

20 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Be honest Ed, you prefer gulags and North Korea style reeducation encampments, unfortunately, they are not yet available in Colorado.

Are they forced to go to college at CSU?  I’m betting there are some colleges out there where blackface is not a big deal.  It’s big in east coast private mostly white high schools.   

Posted Image

18 minutes ago, alum93 said:

So don't punish them and hope they get educated and change their minds?  Sounds like a great plan.  I would put them on some type of probation with the understanding another incident will come with expulsion.  

They likely have received horrific consequences of this action that will last a lifetime in reduced employment marketability.   If academia can tolerate and protect Rhonda Jarrar and the likes teaching at our institutions of higher learning, surely we can tolerate, forgive, and overcome actions of the misguided young students.

110926run_defense710.jpg

10 minutes ago, edluvar said:

Are they forced to go to college at CSU?  I’m betting there are some colleges out there where blackface is not a big deal.  It’s big in east coast private mostly white high schools.   

No, nor should they be "forced" out of CSU.

110926run_defense710.jpg

7 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

They likely have received horrific consequences of this action that will last a lifetime in reduced employment marketability.   If academia can tolerate and protect Rhonda Jarrar and the likes teaching at our institutions of higher learning, surely we can tolerate, forgive, and overcome actions of the misguided young students.

So on one hand they may have a lifetime of reduced employment marketability.  Sure sounds like they did something of serious note.  On the other hand,  the school shouldn't do anything.  Got it.  Makes sense to me.

8 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

No, nor should they be "forced" out of CSU.

People are all the time.  College education is not a right.   If CSU doesn’t have a problem with white kids painting their faces black in today’s world that’s their choice as an institution to support them.  

Posted Image

47 minutes ago, alum93 said:

So on one hand they may have a lifetime of reduced employment marketability.  Sure sounds like they did something of serious note.  On the other hand,  the school shouldn't do anything.  Got it.  Makes sense to me.

So on one hand they may have a lifetime of reduced employment marketability:

That is because future employers have plenty of fish, they don't need the tainted one.

Sure sounds like they did something of serious note:

Stupid, but not "serious"

The school shouldn't do anything:

The school did something similar to what Rhonda Jarrar received from Fresno State.  Although our emotions initially want blood (myself included), most people return to rational thought in time.  I suggest you and Ed do the same.  

110926run_defense710.jpg

3 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

So on one hand they may have a lifetime of reduced employment marketability:

That is because future employers have plenty of fish, they don't need the tainted one.

Sure sounds like they did something of serious note:

Stupid, but not "serious"

The school shouldn't do anything:

The school did something similar to what Rhonda Jarrar received from Fresno State.  Although our emotions initially want blood (myself included), most people return to rational thought in time.  I suggest you and Ed do the same.  

By rational thought, you mean agree with you.  I don't.  I agree with Ed.

36 minutes ago, edluvar said:

People are all the time.  College education is not a right.   If CSU doesn’t have a problem with white kids painting their faces black in today’s world that’s their choice as an institution to support them.  

People are all the time:

That doesn't make it right

College education is not a right:

If a government institution, then all should have a right to attend based on academic performance.

support them:

How is CSU supporting them?  They took the appropriate response, regardless if done by student or faculty.

110926run_defense710.jpg

8 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

People are all the time:

That doesn't make it right

College education is not a right:

If a government institution, then all should have a right to attend based on academic performance.

support them:

How is CSU supporting them?  They took the appropriate response, regardless if done by student or faculty.

Getting kicked out for historically racist things such as painting your face black is the right thing to do as it’s aimed at an entire race of people.   Not just an ex presidents wife for instance.   

I am one of the few democrats that believe college shouldn’t be free.  There are a lot of other options for people in trade schools and other professions.  It should be much more affordable however.   

What have the students done?  Any apologies or explanations?  Will they be in black face for the next game?

Posted Image