Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Locksley

6 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

How the hell is this guy currently tearing it up at Maryland when he was terrible at UNM? Maybe Saban taught him a few things in his brief stay at Alabama. 

The guy is the king of the DMV. He knows every high school coach down there. Recruiting will keep him going. I don't think he will ever win the division though.

7 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

How the hell is this guy currently tearing it up at Maryland when he was terrible at UNM? Maybe Saban taught him a few things in his brief stay at Alabama. 

More money, better athletes, better facilities, better coaches/coaching. UNM won’t improve, until we get a coaching change.

Did you see the video clip, when coach Davie walked into the training room where the team was? It was polite applause at best. No standing-O, no hootin and hollering, and  no exclamations of joy, when he showed up.

Im glad he’s on the road to recovery, but that was not a joyous reunion, judging from the video. And I wonder if the team will respond better to Saga Tuitelli (sp), if he’s the interim head coach for more than just one game... that’ll be an eye opener, and a ‘hint’, for coach Davie I’m hoping.

Love the man, but time to move on, imo.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

There is an article from The Athletic that delves into the changes he made. Looks like he took a hard look at his mistakes at NM and made changes. Here is a link if anyone subscribes to the Athletic(its a pretty good deal and is probably the best sports coverage out there). I also think he is more at home on the East coast.

https://theathletic.com/1100668/2019/07/29/mike-locksley-maryland-new-mexico-journal/?redirected=1

First, Maryland had talent from the previous regime. Darnell Savage was a first round draft pick by the Packers and the dude looks like the next Earl Thomas (granted it's early but the dude has gone nothing but make plays in preseason and in his first start vs Chicago).

Second, they beat the hell out of an FCS bottom feeder and Syracuse who came off a great year, but lost a ton of starters. Let's see what they do vs. Clemson this weekend before we go branding Locksley "mini-Saban."

My bad for the unclear analogy.

When I heard that UNM had hired Locksley, I was pumped because when it comes to recruiting, Locksley might have been Illinois' GOAT. However, even Locksley couldn't lure much talent to New Mexico's "flagship" (LOL) university. Although Maryland certainly isn't the University of Texas which any idiot can recruit to, neither is Maryland UNM, which history proves has only slightly more true HS football talent than Rhode Island.

When UNM fires Davie in a few months, it should just drop football. So doing would be a win for the Lobo basketball program and the MWC.

Boom goes the dynamite.

4 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

When I heard that UNM had hired Locksley, I was pumped because when it comes to recruiting, Locksley might have been Illinois' GOAT. However, even Locksley couldn't lure much talent to New Mexico's "flagship" (LOL) university. Although Maryland certainly isn't the University of Texas which any idiot can recruit to, neither is Maryland UNM, which history proves has only slightly more true HS football talent than Rhode Island.

When UNM fires Davie in a few months, it should just drop football. So doing would be a win for the Lobo basketball program and the MWC.

So you don't agree with Stunner that NMSU should be the football program that is dropped in the Land of Enchantment?

33 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Why the hardon for Lobo football? SDSU fans are funny, your program has been shit for years. You know what it’s like when times suck, but here you are after a decent period where you’re winning acting like your phucking Alabama on the Mexican Border. UNM isn’t dropping football.

31 minutes ago, Pelado said:

So you don't agree with Stunner that NMSU should be the football program that is dropped in the Land of Enchantment?

No. I think both schools should drop football. Either that or both should join the Big Sky Conference for that sport. See this:C9sxAneXoAEyAcH.jpg

Other than states where the weather is so bad that high school kids can hardly practice outside for the first few months after football season ends, no state is anywhere near as low as New Mexico in the percentage of its HS players going on to play FBS football. It simply is not a state conducive of providing FBS football talent to its two FBS universities. It never has been and there's no reason to think it ever will be.

Boom goes the dynamite.

8 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

No. I think both schools should drop football. Either that or both should join the Big Sky Conference for that sport. See this:C9sxAneXoAEyAcH.jpg

Other than states where the weather is so bad that high school kids can hardly practice outside for the first few months after football season ends, no state is anywhere near as low as New Mexico in the percentage of its HS players going on to play FBS football. It simply is not a state conducive of providing FBS football talent to its two FBS universities. It never has been and there's no reason to think it ever will be.

How in the heck is NM higher than Minnesota and Wisconsin?

8 minutes ago, alum93 said:

How in the heck is NM higher than Minnesota and Wisconsin?

I can't speak for Wisconsin but my cousin in Minneapolis once told me it seemed to him like every little podunk town in the northern part of the state has a high school with a football team and almost none of them are much good. They can't afford to play indoors and it's mighty tough to pass the ball when the wind is blustering and you have to wear heavy gloves to keep your hands to keep them warm so I wouldn't think those schools produce many really good skill position players.

Boom goes the dynamite.

29 minutes ago, Uncle Juan said:

Why the hardon for Lobo football? SDSU fans are funny, your program has been shit for years. You know what it’s like when times suck, but here you are after a decent period where you’re winning acting like your phucking Alabama on the Mexican Border. UNM isn’t dropping football.

It's nothing personal, simply fact. As I've told Wyoming fans, I'm skeptical about how high their ceiling is for football excellence on the one hand but very respectful of what the Cowboys manage to accomplish given their constraints. However, football really matters at UDub but what evidence exists that it much matters at UNM which has always been a basketball school?

Boom goes the dynamite.

7 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

It's nothing personal, simply fact. As I've told Wyoming fans, I'm skeptical about how high their ceiling is for football excellence on the one hand but very respectful of what the Cowboys manage to accomplish given their constraints. However, football really matters at UDub but what evidence exists that it much matters at UNM which has always been a basketball school?

Fair enough, but I don’t believe it will always be this way. It’s a travesty that UNM has and continues to treat football the way it does. We need a good AD to come in and change that culture. I thought Rudy Davalos did a good job while he was here. He brought in Franchione and then Rocky. The program did some good things under those three. Unfortunately Rudy retired and Krebs ran Rocky off after he was hired. There is hope in Lobo Land.

4 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

When I heard that UNM had hired Locksley, I was pumped because when it comes to recruiting, Locksley might have been Illinois' GOAT. 

Nobody who has worked in Champaign in the last 30 years could ever be described as the goat, unless it references the smell emenating from Illini football.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 9/12/2019 at 6:34 AM, LoboMan59 said:

More money, better athletes, better facilities, better coaches/coaching. UNM won’t improve, until we get a coaching change.

Did you see the video clip, when coach Davie walked into the training room where the team was? It was polite applause at best. No standing-O, no hootin and hollering, and  no exclamations of joy, when he showed up.

Im glad he’s on the road to recovery, but that was not a joyous reunion, judging from the video. And I wonder if the team will respond better to Saga Tuitelli (sp), if he’s the interim head coach for more than just one game... that’ll be an eye opener, and a ‘hint’, for coach Davie I’m hoping.

Love the man, but time to move on, imo.

Brutal, but sadly I have to admit more truth than not, IMO.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg