Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Growing call to separate black athletes from white athletes.

4 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Like I said, black athletes to big schools that may be predominately white is a win win for everyone imo.  These athletes get a scholarship - a scholarship is a bfd!  
These great athletes should go to the school that fits their individual needs the best.  I also hate how its so easy to lump all black athletes together like their some commodity of the same thing.  

They are most definitely treated as a commodity by the universities. The scholarships are chump change compared to the revenue they bring in at a P5 school. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 hour ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

This was talked about on Fox News. It didn't go Fox News' way. They missed the point you did.

More, some of the HBCU's are majority white now.

https://newsone.com/3822712/hbcu-enrollment-white-students/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3ampj/inside-the-lives-of-white-students-at-historically-black-colleges

"On her first visit to West Virginia State University a decade ago, Leisha Salyer, who is white, did not even realize WVSU was a historically black college. On an average weekday, the school of 3,800 bustles with white commuter students who are West Virginia residents—65 percent of the total student body is white..."

https://time.com/2907332/historically-black-colleges-increasingly-serve-white-students/

"It also seemed incongruous, given that the conference was for minorities, the college is historically black — and Kirby is white.

So are 82 percent of the students at West Virginia’s Bluefield State College, which nonetheless qualifies for a share of the more than a quarter of a billion dollars a year in special funding the federal government set aside for historically black colleges and universities in 2011, the last year for which figures are available."

I really hate watching news, no offense and care little what was said on Fox or the like, so I missed that.  Not sure you can lump our two arguments together though.

32 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I really hate watching news, no offense and care little what was said on Fox or the like, so I missed that.  Not sure you can lump our two arguments together though.

I hate watching the news too. I got that off of my feed. I'm sure you can see it was made to laugh at Laura since it backfired on her.

16 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yes sir!

Sweedish, Norwegian, Irish, German and Jewish. 

16 hours ago, toonkee said:

I am from Hansons and Andersons but the Andersons changed to Richardsons in Minnesota because there was too many got dang Andersons. So we named my son Anders to restore a little order, haha.

So, long story short, I'm "half" Swede. :cheers:

How is you guy's Swedish meatball game?

Instead of celebrating that there is no longer a need for HBCU's, the modern left has convinced itself that athlete's should "save" them by sacrificing a top notch education ( or opportunity to obtain one) to attend an anachronistic third or forth rate school so as to not be "exploited".  As if Bethune-Cookman won't be "exploiting" them in the exact same fashion.  What twaddle. What utter incoherent nonsense.

If you want to talk exploitation of the African American athlete, you need to look no further than his family,friends, street agents, shoe companies etc. With the possible exception of  his mother, grandmother and father, these people and organizations offer a young man nothing other than a sense of guilt for not hooking them up.   Colleges and universities are exchanging a fee (scholarship) for services and an opportunity to make a generational change for his family by obtaining an education that will carry him forward in life irrespective of his athletic success after college..

We're all exploited in life. my wife and kids exploit me. My employer exploits me. The government exploits me. That's life. It's how it all works

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 minute ago, SDSUfan said:

Instead of celebrating that there is no longer a need for HBCU's, the modern left has convinced itself that athlete's should "save" them by sacrificing a top notch education ( or opportunity to obtain one) to attend an anachronistic third or forth rate school so as to not be "exploited".  As if Bethune-Cookman won't be "exploiting" them in the exact same fashion.  What twaddle. What utter incoherent nonsense.

If you want to talk exploitation of the African American athlete, you need to look no further than his family,friends, street agents, shoe companies etc. With the possible exception of (usually) his mother, grandmother and father ( not so often), these people and organizations offer a young man nothing other than a sense of guilt for not hooking them up.   Colleges and universities are exchanging a fee (scholarship) for services and an opportunity to make a generational change for his family by obtaining an education that will carry him forward in life irrespective of his athletic success after college..

We're all exploited in life. my wife and kids exploit me. My employer exploits me. The government exploits me. That's life. It's how it all works

Yeesh. "My wife and kids exploit me" is a great way to make people like AOC look sane. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

5 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Yeesh. "My wife and kids exploit me" is a great way to make people like AOC look sane. 

I'm going to go ahead and guess you're not man enough to have either.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

12 hours ago, CV147 said:

I'm fine if black folks want to do that. It's their choice where they attend school, and in some cases the HBCUs would offer a better education.

However, I get the sense that this is a "let's all walk out at once" fantasy. They can't force black athletes to choose HBCUs, and all black athletes won't choose HBCUs.

It's also remarkable to me, as others have said, that people of color fought and struggled to gain the same stage as whites, and have excelled since gaining entry, yet now want to separate themselves.

Furthermore, the dream that black riches will somehow invigorate black communities sounds like a "trickle down" theory to me. I think that wealthy blacks like to live in the same areas that wealthy whites live.

I think it is pretty shitty to put such a hard decision on 18 year old kids.  Go to an established power like Alabama and get everything you want to try and get to the pros to literally change the lives of your entire family or go somewhere else because you should want to help enrich and empower your race.  I'm sure these kids would like to do both, but it isn't possible for them right now.  I feel like the adults should be the ones trying to make the changes.  If they could start to grow the AD departments at those schools it would make these decisions easier for the kids.  I know they are probably trying now though as well, so it isn't an easy task.  Kids should get to go where they feel most comfortable though, so I hope they aren't pressured one way or another, although a lot are.  

With as many wealthy pro black athletes as there are, why aren't they helping these colleges more?  I think it is unfair to put this on 18 year old black kids.  

22 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

From the BLM movement.  This was my public conversation with the leader of BLM of greater New York.  Yes I am self doxxing myself, no I don't care because I am insanely attractive

70300416_473642156814141_680250262226888

69860238_501492710628966_452179052326603

69587739_437148383675812_142130684263346

It started with activist/ sports journalist Jemele Hill's statements here https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/10/black-athletes-should-leave-white-colleges/596629/

I am a fan of the BLM movement and I would really like some other thoughts, particularly @youngrebelfan40's.

I also think I may have come across condescending.:(

FWIW, I don't think you were condescending in the slightest. To the contrary, I found your engagement style to be respectful.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 9/11/2019 at 5:37 AM, youngrebelfan40 said:

You're not wrong in your assertion that the current system does produce a lot of benefit for black athletes in non-moneymaking sports. And I agree that sports have good effects on the community, etc. But ultimately, from the perspective of those who advocate a return to HBCUs, top athletes in moneymaking sports are still not compensated fairly, and the decision-making and power in the NCAA and university sports system lies almost solely in white hands.

Self-determination in their view would be a moral victory that would outweigh the initial tangible benefits of serving the current system, and provide black folks a sense of community outside of current fandoms, which they view as far more beneficial. Plus, as Mr. Newsome in your OP stated, there is a hope that eventually some of those same benefits you were referring to would eventually crop up again after a significant amount of investment. And if the profit black athletes generate goes back to the schools they play for, they want those schools to represent black folks and their interests. 

One interesting “just sayin” kind of observation regarding college sports is that the two money making sports at most universities at the D1 level subsidize all the other sports, and that the money making sports are dominated by black athletes, while all the other sports with the exception of track and women’s basketball are overwhelmingly white. Plus football and basketball tend to be more “working class” sports while all the others range from “middle to upper class” sports.

What does it mean? I dunno. I just find it interesting that the athletes that benefit the most from this setup, on average, “need” the scholarships less, and that the athletes that generate the most revenue are the ones, on average, that “need” financial assistance the most.

4 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

One interesting “just sayin” kind of observation regarding college sports is that the two money making sports at most universities at the D1 level subsidize all the other sports, and that the money making sports are dominated by black athletes, while all the other sports with the exception of track and women’s basketball are overwhelmingly white. Plus football and basketball tend to be more “working class” sports while all the others range from “middle to upper class” sports.

What does it mean? I dunno. I just find it interesting that the athletes that benefit the most from this setup, on average, “need” the scholarships less, and that the athletes that generate the most revenue are the ones, on average, are the ones that “need” financial assistance the most.

That does not exactly paint a true picture.  While other sports are majority white other than those you mentioned, as a percentage of the total population athletic scholarships in those sports are still awarded in greater proportion to blacks.  Not sure why you can really count out track and women's basketball since those are the two largest teams on most campuses outside football with 18 (women's track) 13 (men's) and 15 (women's BB) scholarships respectively.

4 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That does not exactly paint a true picture.  While other sports are majority white other than those you mentioned, as a percentage of the total population athletic scholarships in those sports are still awarded in greater proportion to blacks.  Not sure why you can really count out track and women's basketball since those are the two largest teams on most campuses outside football with 18 (women's track) 13 (men's) and 15 (women's BB) scholarships respectively.

All true. Just pointing out that most black athletes play the only two sports that make money, and that outside of those sports, women’s basketball, and sprinters on the track team (except for the occasional white guy there) you don’t see many black athletes in general. I don’t really know what conclusions to draw from that, I just find it interesting. 

On 9/10/2019 at 7:02 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yes sir!

Sweedish, Norwegian, Irish, German and Jewish. 

Gotta love the spelling of Swedish by someone who is allegedly of that descent.

The assertion that African American athletes should attend traditionally black universities makes some sense with one glaring exception. The amount of college athletes who go on to play professionally is something like 3% so the other 97% are attending college in order to obtain a degree, which itself is primarily to enhance their chances of success in some other profession. Just how worthwhile is a degree from a traditional black school in comparison to a degree from a Big Ten school, a University of California school, etc.?

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Gotta love the spelling of Swedish by someone who is allegedly of that descent.

The assertion that African American athletes should attend traditionally black universities makes some sense with one glaring exception. The amount of college athletes who go on to play professionally is something like 3% so the other 97% are attending college in order to obtain a degree, which itself is primarily to enhance their chances of success in some other profession. Just how worthwhile is a degree from a traditional black school in comparison to a degree from a Big Ten school, a University of California school, etc.?

"Allegedy".  Yes. the blond hair, blue eyes, last name.  It's a trick so I can claim to be something I am not on a message board.

The conversation seems to be "the top" black athletes should go to HBCU's.  Your statistic about athletes in general seems pretty useless.  Even at little old Boise state the percentage of football players that go pro eclipses that number.

6 hours ago, toonkee said:

IKEA grade.

That is very acceptable. Please bring them to the MWCboard fall potluck. When's the date again,  @mugtang?