Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Growing call to separate black athletes from white athletes.

From the BLM movement.  This was my public conversation with the leader of BLM of greater New York.  Yes I am self doxxing myself, no I don't care because I am insanely attractive

70300416_473642156814141_680250262226888

69860238_501492710628966_452179052326603

69587739_437148383675812_142130684263346

It started with activist/ sports journalist Jemele Hill's statements here https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/10/black-athletes-should-leave-white-colleges/596629/

I am a fan of the BLM movement and I would really like some other thoughts, particularly @youngrebelfan40's.

I also think I may have come across condescending.:(

6 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

From the BLM movement.  This was my public conversation with the leader of BLM of greater New York.  Yes I am self doxxing myself, no I don't care because I am insanely attractive

It started with activist/ sports journalist Jemele Hill's statements here https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/10/black-athletes-should-leave-white-colleges/596629/

I am a fan of the BLM movement and I would really like some other thoughts, particularly @youngrebelfan40's.

Are you of Swedish decent, Mr. Ericson?

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yes sir!

Sweedish, Norwegian, Irish, German and Jewish. 

I am from Hansons and Andersons but the Andersons changed to Richardsons in Minnesota because there was too many got dang Andersons. So we named my son Anders to restore a little order, haha.

So, long story short, I'm "half" Swede. :cheers:

1 minute ago, toonkee said:

I am from Hansons and Andersons but the Andersons changed to Richardsons in Minnesota because there was too many got dang Andersons. So we named my son Anders to restore a little order, haha.

So, long story short, I'm "half" Swede. :cheers:

Nice haha.

Anyways, I was responded to by somebody saying I was guilty of "whitesplaining" and I admit I did sound condescending at points since inflection and tone do not carry well.  There are also some articles like this that make me think

https://www.phillytrib.com/commentary/johnmitchell/mitchell-attack-on-hill-is-typical-right-wing-talking-points/article_a3f6926a-d4b2-59cd-b792-afe904e19a7d.html

Am I missing something?  Or would elite Black athletes be doing themselves a disservice by refusing to attending anything other then an HBCU?

18 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Interesting that it took so long to break the color barrier in sports and now some are suggesting segregating again. I don’t think that’s a good idea for race relations. 

Jemele Hill is a blithering idiot. Her stupid idea would set African American athletes back 50 years. ESPN was smart to shit can her when they did. 

21 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Interesting that it took so long to break the color barrier in sports and now some are suggesting segregating again. I don’t think that’s a good idea for race relations. 

That was my initial reaction as well.  Then  it went to why are these grown adults wanting to pressure in this way?  I don't get it and wonder if I am missing something.

And all the Polynesian’s must play for Hawaii.

The Hispanic’s must play at either UTEP or San Diego St. or any school where there is a near-by tunnel to Mexico. 

If you Irish you must play at Notre Dame.

If you Mormon you have to play for BYU/Utah or Utah St.

if you are a Nazi German you must play for Craig Bohl.

If you Asian you must play for either Hawaii or San Jose St.

if you are a meth user/dealer, then you must play for Fresno St.

if your girlfriend or wife is ugly, you must play for Boise St.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I'm pretty familiar with this argument and it comes down to this: 

Some black folks are tired of mostly-white colleges exploiting black athletes for profit. Instead, they would prefer for black athletes to go to HBCUs, which in their mind would revitalize those struggling schools and put the power and money entwined in college sports in black hands. 

But, as you pointed out, given the current system, this actually happening is completely impossible, for several reasons.

First and foremost, as you wrote, the incentive to go to a major P5 program is off the charts in terms of professional development, perks, networking, and (in many cases), actual payments. Asking 17-18 year old kids to give all of that up and go to schools who have trouble maintaining the field and locker room is ridiculous, no matter what net racial benefit you try to sell them on. 

Secondly, as you mentioned, even HBCUs are under the purview of the NCAA. Any kind of talent drain I'm sure would be swiftly followed with investigations and backlash. 

Ultimately, this is NOT about segregation: black people advocating this are not for the reinstitution of legal apartheid. It's about black folks wanting to gain power commensurate with their contribution to the money-making machine that is college football and basketball. Unfortunately, pursuing movement to HBCU sport programs as a means to get there simply is unrealistic.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

30 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That was my initial reaction as well.  Then  it went to why are these grown adults wanting to pressure in this way?  I don't get it and wonder if I am missing something.

Point 1.  I am 25% Swedish and Ericsson is in the family tree.  Haha.  

As to your point, she talks about basketball and historically black colleges are already in the NCAA D1.  

But I do think she missed a point because it takes coaches to develop players.   If coaches like Doc Rivers, Alvin Gentry, Tyrone Lue all decided to move to the Historically black colleges you have something.  Top players like Zion could attend these schools and generate significant money which would flow into these schools.  But frankly she is 10 years too late in basketball because high school kids will soon go straight to the NBA. 

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Nice haha.

Anyways, I was responded to by somebody saying I was guilty of "whitesplaining" and I admit I did sound condescending at points since inflection and tone do not carry well.  There are also some articles like this that make me think

https://www.phillytrib.com/commentary/johnmitchell/mitchell-attack-on-hill-is-typical-right-wing-talking-points/article_a3f6926a-d4b2-59cd-b792-afe904e19a7d.html

Am I missing something?  Or would elite Black athletes be doing themselves a disservice by refusing to attending anything other then an HBCU?

You are 100% correct however a person considering what they are considering surely doesn’t want advise from a white guy, even if your heart is in the right place. That’s okay. In my official capacity as “the left”, I bestow upon you the title of “not racist”, which is the highest honor a non-member can receive. But stay in your lane white devil.

5 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Some black folks are tired of mostly-white colleges exploiting black athletes for profit. Instead, they would prefer for black athletes to go to HBCUs, which in their mind would revitalize those struggling schools and put the power and money entwined in college sports in black hands. 

But, as you pointed out, given the current system, this actually happening is completely impossible, for several reasons.

First and foremost, as you wrote, the incentive to go to a major P5 program is off the charts in terms of professional development, perks, networking, and (in many cases), actual payments. Asking 17-18 year old kids to give all of that up and go to schools who have trouble maintaining the field and locker room is ridiculous, no matter what net racial benefit you try to sell them on. 

Secondly, as you mentioned, even HBCUs are under the purview of the NCAA. Any kind of talent drain I'm sure would be swiftly followed with investigations and backlash. 

Ultimately, this is NOT about segregation: black people advocating this are not for the reinstitution of legal apartheid. It's about black folks wanting to gain power commensurate with their contribution to the money-making machine that is college football and basketball. Unfortunately, pursuing movement to HBCU sport programs as a means to get there simply is unrealistic.

Basketball and football are slightly different as basketball revenue from win shares in the tournament are more transferable.  

I think if you get into Stanford or Duke your comments might be true but I’m not sure black athletes get benefit from graduating from Alabama or Ole Miss.   

32 minutes ago, Warbow said:

And all the Polynesian’s must play for Hawaii.

The Hispanic’s must play at either UTEP or San Diego St. or any school where there is a near-by tunnel to Mexico. 

If you Irish you must play at Notre Dame.

If you Mormon you have to play for BYU/Utah or Utah St.

if you are a Nazi German you must play for Craig Bohl.

If you Asian you must play for either Hawaii or San Jose St.

if you are a meth user/dealer, then you must play for Fresno St.

if your girlfriend or wife is ugly, you must play for Boise St.

If you a sex offender, Penn St is the school for you.

if you like doing it with farm animals, Fresno St and Colorado st will take you.

if you a redneck, any SEC school will have you.

Gay cowboys must go to Wyoming or if you just plain gay, try one of the service academies (don’t ask, don’t tell)

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

4 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Ultimately, this is NOT about segregation: black people advocating this are not for the reinstitution of legal apartheid. It's black folks about gaining power commensurate with their contribution to the money-making machine that is college football and basketball. Unfortunately, pursuing this as a means to get there simply is unrealistic.

You are awesome, Sir.

Any idea on how black people can realistically gain something closer to commensurate power in these billion dollar sports?  Salaries for the players?  It is not like anybody but the coaches are getting rich, the money is funneled back into the schools.  There are no owners or shareholders.  Maybe allowing players to profit of their likeness while in college?

A billion a year (well 986 mil) is spent on D1 scholarships, blacks fare well there. I admit ignorance, I am not sure what that looks like.  What are some of the ideas you have heard in academia or your own?  

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You are awesome, Sir.

Any idea on how black people can realistically gain something closer to commensurate power in these billion dollar sports?  Salaries for the players?  It is not like anybody but the coaches are getting rich, the money is funneled back into the schools.  There are no owners or shareholders.  Maybe allowing players to profit of their likeness while in college?

A billion a year (well 986 mil) is spent on D1 scholarships, blacks fare well there. I admit ignorance, I am not sure what that looks like.  What are some of the ideas you have heard in academia or your own?  

I think the issue with this argument is many of them, especially at the elite schools, aren't actually being educated.  They're kept eligible so they can play football/basketball and generate money that way.  I mean look at the classes North Carolina was offering students.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

6 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I think the issue with this argument is many of them, especially at the elite schools, aren't actually being educated.  They're kept eligible so they can play football/basketball and generate money that way.  I mean look at the classes North Carolina was offering students.

This is getting too close to being racist....are you talking athletes in general or just black athletes?

1 minute ago, Warbow said:

This is getting too close to being racist....are you talking athletes in general or just black athletes?

I'm just talking about the athletes in general.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater