Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

Fresno St fans?

IMO FS will lose a game or two more in the regular season but will be fine.  129th in the nation in returning experience.  All things considered I actually think the defense looks pretty good (aside from the shell-shocked first two drives by USC).  2.8 ypc for Minnesota.  There were four freshmen on the field defensively for FS vs Minnesota (1 came in as a rotation guy, the other three were out there pretty consistently).  That almost never happens here.  I think we had 2 or 3 freshman on the field on offense as well.  Again, that's a rarity. 

This is a rebuilding year, and I guessed before the season that the 'dogs would win about 8 games. I still think that is probably the case, but the 'dogs have looked better than I thought.  

The next few years will be payout years for FS IMO.  I'm thinking 2021-2022 or so. 

4 hours ago, JADogs05 said:

IMO FS will lose a game or two more in the regular season but will be fine.  129th in the nation in returning experience.  All things considered I actually think the defense looks pretty good (aside from the shell-shocked first two drives by USC).  2.8 ypc for Minnesota.  There were four freshmen on the field defensively for FS vs Minnesota (1 came in as a rotation guy, the other three were out there pretty consistently).  That almost never happens here.  I think we had 2 or 3 freshman on the field on offense as well.  Again, that's a rarity. 

This is a rebuilding year, and I guessed before the season that the 'dogs would win about 8 games. I still think that is probably the case, but the 'dogs have looked better than I thought.  

The next few years will be payout years for FS IMO.  I'm thinking 2021-2022 or so. 

I agree more or less.

I thought we'd get one of two here.  And it's a little tough to lose both the same way on the last drive on picks at the goaline.

The defense is solid.  The receivers are good considering what we lost.  And Rivers Jr. is as good as I expected him to be.

Reyna, I don't know.  He throws some nice balls.  He can hit shots that McMaryion couldn't.  Spreads the field a little more than Marcus did at times.  But he's thrown two bad picks on game winning/tying drives, both on first down I think.  I'd have to double check, but either way, it's not like it was desperation time.  I just don't trust him yet with the game on the line.  And Fresno's Oline isn't good enough to just grind it out on the ground against good teams.

I still hope to win the West.  But I don't expect the Dogs to run the table.  We will have to see how it plays out with Reno, Hawaii, and Suds, because I don't see them running the table either.  And Vegas or San Ho will win a game or two against one of the contenders in the West.

14 hours ago, JADogs05 said:

We played Bailey full-time after Mosby's ejection, Williams is out there in nickel situations taking over JuJu's spot, and Ruffin filled in for Gaston after the concussion...was the fourth Jordan? i think i missed him.    On offense as far as i know we only played Glaspie and Cropper...been thinking Bula Schmidt might sneak into the lineup but that hasn't happened yet.  I wonder if Bridges might shift back to LB down the road...we won't lack for bodies at DE next year, everyone on the roster is back, Perales is eligible, Warkentin comes off RS and Nikko Thomas should be healthy.

10 hours ago, CPslograd said:

I agree more or less.

I thought we'd get one of two here.  And it's a little tough to lose both the same way on the last drive on picks at the goaline.

The defense is solid.  The receivers are good considering what we lost.  And Rivers Jr. is as good as I expected him to be.

Reyna, I don't know.  He throws some nice balls.  He can hit shots that McMaryion couldn't.  Spreads the field a little more than Marcus did at times.  But he's thrown two bad picks on game winning/tying drives, both on first down I think.  I'd have to double check, but either way, it's not like it was desperation time.  I just don't trust him yet with the game on the line.  And Fresno's Oline isn't good enough to just grind it out on the ground against good teams.

I still hope to win the West.  But I don't expect the Dogs to run the table.  We will have to see how it plays out with Reno, Hawaii, and Suds, because I don't see them running the table either.  And Vegas or San Ho will win a game or two against one of the contenders in the West.

I mean, the read on Reyna coming into the year was that he was more aggressive than McMaryion and there would be good and bad from that.   I don't think people really comprehended that and are a little shell-shocked by a QB that actually throws picks from time to time.

That said, he wasn't pressing on either throw, he just locked in on a seemingly open man and missed the safety, so he floated it instead of driving on it.   That's one thing MM always did was drive the deep ball, even if he mistimed and threw it too late

Our OL wasn't that good in the run game last year either...Ronnie Rivers made them look better than they were once he was back and most of the yardage against ASU came after they folded like a $2 lawn chair when Ronnie broke free for that long TD on a great playcall that suckered their safety.  Difference is this year they're only decent in pass protection instead of borderline elite.

1 hour ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

We played Bailey full-time after Mosby's ejection, Williams is out there in nickel situations taking over JuJu's spot, and Ruffin filled in for Gaston after the concussion...was the fourth Jordan? i think i missed him.    On offense as far as i know we only played Glaspie and Cropper...been thinking Bula Schmidt might sneak into the lineup but that hasn't happened yet.  I wonder if Bridges might shift back to LB down the road...we won't lack for bodies at DE next year, everyone on the roster is back, Perales is eligible, Warkentin comes off RS and Nikko Thomas should be healthy.

I mean, the read on Reyna coming into the year was that he was more aggressive than McMaryion and there would be good and bad from that.   I don't think people really comprehended that and are a little shell-shocked by a QB that actually throws picks from time to time.

That said, he wasn't pressing on either throw, he just locked in on a seemingly open man and missed the safety, so he floated it instead of driving on it.   That's one thing MM always did was drive the deep ball, even if he mistimed and threw it too late

Our OL wasn't that good in the run game last year either...Ronnie Rivers made them look better than they were once he was back and most of the yardage against ASU came after they folded like a $2 lawn chair when Ronnie broke free for that long TD on a great playcall that suckered their safety.  Difference is this year they're only decent in pass protection instead of borderline elite.

Dumais was in at DT for quite a few plays. I agree that we have a lot of DEs and I'm hopeful that Bridges moves back as well.  Then we'd have three solid prospects from last year's class as well as King for the long term. 

7 minutes ago, JADogs05 said:

Dumais was in at DT for quite a few plays. I agree that we have a lot of DEs and I'm hopeful that Bridges moves back as well.  Then we'd have three solid prospects from last year's class as well as King for the long term. 

Dumais is a RFR, though.  Came in in 2018 with Lawson and Payne. Principle still applies though as he saw no action last year.

Don't forget Hollins at LB.

29 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

What are the odds that Tedford replaces Chip at UCLA after this season?

Pretty low.  Wouldn't lay odds on Tedford ending up anywhere but maybe Oregon and even that'd be a stretch because Cristobal is pulling in top-10 talent and with the overall weakness of the Pac-12 is basically guaranteed top-25 yearly finishes ad infinitum.   UCLA will make a play for Urban Meyer after Chip's year 3.  I'd have thought USC would do that but looks like that freshman QB is going to save Helton's job.

49 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

Pretty low.  Wouldn't lay odds on Tedford ending up anywhere but maybe Oregon and even that'd be a stretch because Cristobal is pulling in top-10 talent and with the overall weakness of the Pac-12 is basically guaranteed top-25 yearly finishes ad infinitum.   UCLA will make a play for Urban Meyer after Chip's year 3.  I'd have thought USC would do that but looks like that freshman QB is going to save Helton's job.

With the USC AD stepping down, I think Helton is gone regardless how well he does this year and they will be making a push for Urban Meyer. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

Just now, ridgeview2 said:

With the USC AD stepping down, I think Helton is gone regardless how well he does this year and they will be making a push for Urban Meyer. 

I think his cutoff is 10 wins.  If Slovis is the real deal that's probably possible.  We'll see, though.

11 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

I hear you.

They were right there in both games   The Dogs are still sound.  Just need to find a way to win close games.  

The West is going to be a jumble at the top, sure won't hurt to miss Boise and Wyoming this year.  And get the BAggies at home.

On 9/10/2019 at 12:53 PM, Warbow said:

Did Tedford peak last season with DeRuyter’s recruits or does he still have the magic with his own recruits?

whats his track record with his own recruits?

Bump..

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

On 9/10/2019 at 4:39 PM, Warbow said:

Okay I’ll answer my own question since no one was kind enough to do it for me.

Here’s his record at Cal playing with his own recruits: you be the judge.

2007 California 7–6 3–6 T–7th W Armed Forces    
2008 California 9–4 6–3 4th W Emerald 25  
2009 California 8–5 5–4 T–5th L Poinsettia    
2010 California 5–7 3–6 8th      
2011 California 7–6 4–5 4th (North) L Holiday    
2012 California 3–9 2–7 5th (North)    

Umm, bowl games 4 out of 6 years is pretty good.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.