Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

Fresno St fans?

Did Tedford peak last season with DeRuyter’s recruits or does he still have the magic with his own recruits?

whats his track record with his own recruits?

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

23 minutes ago, Warbow said:

Did Tedford peak last season with DeRuyter’s recruits or does he still the magic with his own recruits?

1/10

Okay I’ll answer my own question since no one was kind enough to do it for me.

Here’s his record at Cal playing with his own recruits: you be the judge.

2007 California 7–6 3–6 T–7th W Armed Forces    
2008 California 9–4 6–3 4th W Emerald 25  
2009 California 8–5 5–4 T–5th L Poinsettia    
2010 California 5–7 3–6 8th      
2011 California 7–6 4–5 4th (North) L Holiday    
2012 California 3–9 2–7 5th (North)    

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

On 9/10/2019 at 3:53 PM, Warbow said:

Did Tedford peak last season with DeRuyter’s recruits or does he still have the magic with his own recruits?

We were like bottom 5 in FBS in returning production this year.  Guys are learning on the fly right now and we didn't have the good fortune to open with Sac State and NMSU instead of two straight P5 games. 

The offensive jump from week 1 to 2 has me pretty pleased.  Reyna's seeing the field better and we're going to get back a couple WRs and an OL from offseason dings in the next couple weeks.  Defense is frustrating to watch but a ton of in-game bumps and dings and the back-end of a weird class distribution has us playing a bunch of true freshmen right now in the back 7.   MN's 4th and 13 came because our true freshman safety (who was in the game because JuJu had moved down to nickle for that package) bit underneath when he thought juju was getting beat instead of taking the WR handoff from Bryant like the play called for. 

We'll win 7 or 8 games and go to the Arizona Bowl or something and then be nasty next year with a ton of returning experience, a bunch of eligible transfers and an RB corps that hasn't lost it's #2, #3, and #4 guys before the season even starts. 

5 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

We were like bottom 5 in FBS in returning production this year.  Guys are learning on the fly right now and we didn't have the good fortune to open with Sac State and NMSU instead of two straight P5 games. 

The offensive jump from week 1 to 2 has me pretty pleased.  Reyna's seeing the field better and we're going to get back a couple WRs and an OL from offseason dings in the next couple weeks.  Defense is frustrating to watch but a ton of in-game bumps and dings and the back-end of a weird class distribution has us playing a bunch of true freshmen right now in the back 7.   MN's 4th and 13 came because our true freshman safety (who was in the game because JuJu had moved down to nickle for that package) bit underneath when he thought juju was getting beat instead of taking the WR handoff from Bryant like the play called for. 

We'll win 7 or 8 games and go to the Arizona Bowl or something and then be nasty next year with a ton of returning experience, a bunch of eligible transfers and an RB corps that hasn't lost it's #2, #3, and #4 guys before the season even starts. 

Fresno is still one of the favorites to win the league. There is legitimately seven teams that have a realistic chance to win. I'd be surprised if the West winner had less than two losses this year. It's gunna be a dog fight. 

If I had to guess, I think SDSU has the easiest path. They miss Boise and Air Force. They also get Wyoming, USU, UNR, and Fresno all at home. All of their road games are very winnable outside of Hawaii. 

Just now, kingpotato said:

Fresno is still one of the favorites to win the league. There is legitimately seven teams that have a realistic chance to win. I'd be surprised if the West winner had less than two losses this year. It's gunna be a dog fight. 

If I had to guess, I think SDSU has the easiest path. They miss Boise and Air Force. They also get Wyoming, USU, UNR, and Fresno all at home. All of their road games are very winnable outside of Hawaii. 

I think Hawaii has the easiest path, tbh.   I don't think the Bows are as good as two P5 wins would have you think but they have the best homefield by way of travel and jet lag and they get SDSU and FS at home.

20 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

Fresno is going to pull the old SDSU.  Struggle to win their key OOC games then start to roll when conference plays starts.  I still think it is 50/50 in the West.  Fresno vs the field.

Boise may or may not be a really good team this year, I have them as 50/50 vs the field in the MTN as well.  Both our programs are setting up for 2021 even more so then next year.  I am off on a tangent.  Anyways Fresno is fine.  No MWC team could have gone into USC game 1 and pulled of a win.  Minny was frustrating.  Fresno fans are harder on their Defense then I am, it is going to be a really good unit in a few weeks.

2 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

I think Hawaii has the easiest path, tbh.   I don't think the Bows are as good as two P5 wins would have you think but they have the best homefield by way of travel and jet lag and they get SDSU and FS at home.

I still don't like their defense. They draw both Air Force and Boise. At Boise is probably the most likely loss of all the contenders. Getting SDSU and Fresno at home really helps. Air Force too. 

4 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I still don't like their defense. They draw both Air Force and Boise. At Boise is probably the most likely loss of all the contenders. Getting SDSU and Fresno at home really helps. Air Force too. 

AFA is the team getting lost right now because they have only played one game, and it was against an FCS team.  I would not be stunned if they beat the buffs.  Week 4 against Boise could be the critical game in the MTN division race this year.  So glad we get them at home.

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Fresno is going to pull the old SDSU.  Struggle to win their key OOC games then start to roll when conference plays starts.  I still think it is 50/50 in the West.  Fresno vs the field.

Boise may or may not be a really good team this year, I have them as 50/50 vs the field in the MTN as well.  Both our programs are setting up for 2021 even more so then next year.  I am off on a tangent.  Anyways Fresno is fine.  No MWC team could have gone into USC game 1 and pulled of a win.  Minny was frustrating.  Fresno fans are harder on their Defense then I am, it is going to be a really good unit in a few weeks.

I called it all offseason. I said they'd give up a lot more points and it had little to do with the defense being a worse unit. Last years defense would have done worse against this slate. They faced an insane amount of inexperienced QBs, including multiple back ups and FR. This year, it's the exact opposite. Pretty much every team has an experienced QB this year, if everyone stays healthy. It was one of the easiest calls of the offseason. 

1 minute ago, kingpotato said:

I called it all offseason. I said they'd give up a lot more points and it had little to do with the defense being a worse unit. Last years defense would have done worse against this slate. They faced an insane amount of inexperienced QBs, including multiple back ups and FR. This year, it's the exact opposite. Pretty much every team has an experienced QB this year, if everyone stays healthy. It was one of the easiest calls of the offseason. 

Disagree.  Lot's more experience on that D, I don't think they would have started so slow against USC and would have found a way to eek out that win against Minny.  Not a huge gap between the two defense I think, but last years was/is better.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

AFA is the team getting lost right now because they have only played one game, and it was against an FCS team.  I would not be stunned if they beat the buffs.  Week 4 against Boise could be the critical game in the MTN division race this year.  So glad we get them at home.

I think they do beat the Buffs. If Boise doesn't win the SEC Mountain, it'll be Air Force. If Boise doesn't beat them next week, it's going to be very difficult to catch them in the standings. 

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Disagree.  Lot's more experience on that D, I don't think they would have started so slow against USC and would have found a way to eek out that win against Minny.  Not a huge gap between the two defense I think, but last years was/is better.

I do think it was better and that was part of it, but that was just part of it. That team also would have walked into USC with an entirely new DL. They would have struggled. 

10 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The aftermath of the MN game was a bloodbath on the boards, took people like 3 days to calm down.    We'll be fine, it was just a really rough loss.

You might be right about 2021 now that i take a look at the roster...We'll have Haener back for his senior year, a majority of the OL two-deep should be back, almost all of the 2019 WR two-deep.  DL will see major turnover in 2020 and then bring back everyone in 2021 including the two transfers sitting out this year, and we'll have the entire secondary back.   LB, RB and TE will look completely different (although i think bailey's a future star at LB) but we'll manage.

10 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

6 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I do think it was better and that was part of it, but that was just part of it. That team also would have walked into USC with an entirely new DL. They would have struggled. 

i'm of two minds here.  Experience matters a ton and we had the entire defensive back 7 back, and the strength of the defense was definitely those players, but at the same time the team really didn't play sharp football until the second half of the MN game.   If we're just plunking down the 2018 team in they probably take USC late but don't win (i'm not having jack sears' injury in this simulation) come back home and pull away from MN late. 

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

I think they do beat the Buffs. If Boise doesn't win the SEC Mountain, it'll be Air Force. If Boise doesn't beat them next week, it's going to be very difficult to catch them in the standings. 

AF wasn't very good last year, so they could bounce back, but they still lack a really good RB, which when the AF offense is humming they need.  They need a solid QB and RB to run it properly.  They have the QB, but I'm not sure on the RB.  We'll see how their D is, but I don't know if they win the division or even get 2nd.  I know they were young last year, but I don't think they make a big leap just on that alone.