Jump to content
soupslam1

California Bill to Pay Athletes Passes

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bluerules009 said:

You should get a business education so you could actually understand the business world.

When a physical plant like a basketball facility is getting all its expenses paid by men's basketball.   The women's basketball team just needs to make more than the cost of running the lights, to make more money than the building would sitting empty.  One doner every 5 years making a significant donation can make women's basketball a home run profit.    Not to mention all the tickets and food sold at the event probably breaks the school even.

You people are mentally brainwashed fools.

If you’re going to lecture anyone about education, it helps to present your case in an educated manner. Or at the very least, proofread your shit. 

Sorry, enjoy your worms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluerules009 said:

No they aren't.    Not to mention that none of those are science degrees.

If you are a valuable player like say Korey Hall and you are a 4 year starter you might get to take a glorified business degree.   Most players don't have that power.

None get a science degree.

A civil engineering degree is not a science degree and I don't care what the school they graduated from calls itself.

 

Okay - I'll bite.

How do you define a "real" science degree? Moreover, why is only a "science" degree as you define it deemed to be of sufficient value? Admittedly, there are a lot of Criminal Justice and Communication majors out there - but there are a number of people with a "glorified business degree" who manage to make out pretty well. Hell, I know someone who has a degree in Art History who is making six figures less than four years after graduation. It's not necessary the field of study as much as the person who earned the degree. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluerules009 said:

You should get a business education so you could actually understand the business world.

When a physical plant like a basketball facility is getting all its expenses paid by men's basketball.   The women's basketball team just needs to make more than the cost of running the lights, to make more money than the building would sitting empty. 

So none of those women's players has a scholarship to fund?  Or a coaching staff to pay?  Travel expenses?

 

 

 

Interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

The athletes help generate billions in revenue. They should receive a percentage of that revenue. They don’t. 

Some athletes help generate the revenue, others ride the pine. Any revenue sharing with the athletes would have to based on on-field impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, battle.borne said:

Some athletes help generate the revenue, others ride the pine. Any revenue sharing with the athletes would have to based on on-field impact.

How do you regulate that and how do athletes make sure they are fairly compensated.  What if a coach makes a kid ride the pine for no reason other than spite or to teach him or her a lesson?  Do the athletes get an agent?  Do they form a union?  There are so, so many things that will need to ironed out for this. 

With the proposed rule though, the market would decide who gets paid.  

I expect some lawsuits and a lot of negotiating before this is all said and done.  I think this move by CA all but forces change though.  There is no going back now.  We just don't know exactly what it will look like yet.  

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/09/10/california-fair-pay-play-act-law-ncaa-pac-12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

The athletes help generate billions in revenue. They should receive a percentage of that revenue. They don’t. 

Their scholarships, room, and board aren't enough?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we all agree there is a problem in college athletics, but I have a very high degree of confidence that the California Legislature will find the worst way possible to solve it and stick everyone else with the cost and burden of fixing their "solution". 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Stupid question, but sure I’ll answer. The athletes helping generate revenue that aren’t receiving any of that revenue they helped generate. Scholarships aren’t tied to the revenue. If they were, no athletes would receive them outside of football and men’s basketball players.

You don't think any of that revenue goes toward scholarships, academic facilities, etc.?

And the athletes with the professional level talent- how would they have the opportunity to go pro had it not been for the college program they played for? You could very easily turn this into an argument that high-achieving non-athletes should be paid for any revenue possibly generated by their performances as students. Should Condoleeza Rice expect money from Stanford? Should Dick Cheney or Alan Simpson expect money from UW?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Their scholarships, room, and board aren't enough?

 

3 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

You don't think any of that revenue goes toward scholarships, academic facilities, etc.?

Apparently, he's never seen an athletic department budget statement.

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Their scholarships, room, and board aren't enough?

Don't forget the value of opportunity to get scouted and go pro...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Their scholarships, room, and board aren't enough?

no

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SalinasSpartan said:

no

On the average, $40,000 to $60,000 per year is not enough? 

What would be "enough"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, renoskier said:

On the average, $40,000 to $60,000 per year is not enough? 

What would be "enough"?

Market value.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Market value.

So, are you saying high school athletes should or could have agents and go to the highest bidder?

Some football players would make $$$ and many would make pennies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, renoskier said:

So, are you saying high school athletes should or could have agents and go to the highest bidder?

Some football players would make $$$ and many would make pennies?

Yes. I think pro sports should operate how they do in every other country. Let the pro leagues scout for their own talent and pay those athletes while they develop them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Don't forget the value of opportunity to get scouted and go pro...

...or the networks that are developed. I know of several former athletes who make a living by providing services for teammates and fellow alumni of athletic programs who went pro.  Google Jeremy Castleberry as a prime example - and I'm sure we can all think of people from our various programs who are leveraging their athletic participation and relationships in their careers.  

I even heard about this guy named Kelin Mores - or something like that - who got a coordinator gig with some semi-pro team who seems to be doing pretty well.:P

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yes. I think pro sports should operate how they do in every other country. Let the pro leagues scout for their own talent and pay those athletes while they develop them. 

I'd be all for that, let the NFL and the NBA develop real minor league systems. I do believe, or at least hope, the NBA is headed in that direction.

So, it seems that your real issue shouldn't be with the universities but with the professional leagues which use the long established college athletic programs as training grounds.

Even if the NFL and NBA had their own legitimate minor leagues, I believe college athletics would continued making large revenues. Would your opinion remain the same? If so, why?

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yes. I think pro sports should operate how they do in every other country. Let the pro leagues scout for their own talent and pay those athletes while they develop them. 

 

6 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I'd be all for that, let the NFL and the NBA develop real minor league systems. I do believe, or at least hope, the NBA is headed in that direction.

So, it seems that your real issue shouldn't be with the universities but with the professional leagues which use the long established college athletic programs as training grounds.

Even if the NFL and NBA had their own legitimate minor leagues, I believe college athletics would continued making large revenues. Would your opinion remain the same? If so, why?

So what about baseball players then?  Would their choice be to go to the minor leagues or go to college and if they go to college then they cannot profit off of their likeness?  Or would baseball players still be able to profit as well even though they chose the college route?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 307dude said:

Oh, what a bunch of horseshit. Your definition of “science” is all that matters, got it. 

In Bluetools’ world, “lunch” consists of two spoiled pickles, a used 9-volt battery and a dead earthworm consumed at exactly 1:54 p.m. daily. That’s it. 

It isn't my definition, it is what the word means as accepted by all educated people.

Which I know has no place on this board as so many of you makeup the meaning of the words you use.

 
 
 
 
sci·ence
/ˈsīəns/
noun
 
  1. the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.
    "the world of science and technology"
    synonyms: branch of knowledge, body of knowledge/information/facts, area of study, discipline, field
    "the science of criminology"
    • a particular area of science.
      plural noun: sciences
      "veterinary science"
    • a systematically organized body of knowledge on a particular subject.
      "the science of criminology"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×