Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

California Bill to Pay Athletes Passes

1 hour ago, sebasour said:

Okay lets look at NFL Draft picks.  Of the 32 1st round picks last year, 30 came from P5 schools. If you look at the draft as a whole,  the entire Go5 produced 42 draft picks combined, the P5 had nearly 5 times that with 197. The SEC had 64 by itself, and The Big Ten almost beat that with 40.

Boise State is one of the elite G5 programs, we are much cherry picking in your favor here, but that's fine. Let's look at Boise.

Boise ranks in the 50 to 60's in recruiting every year

It ranks 53rd in NFL Draft picks taken since 2000.

It ranks 64th in Athletic budget 

70th in coaching salary

66th in attendance.

But hey some article said you have a top 5 locker room, so the gap is gone right? Are you really trying to +++++ing argue this?

It's not a middle finger at all. Pat Mahomes getting a marketing deal with Addidas is not a middle finger to AAA baseball players who don't.

Nearly 5 times as many?!?!?!?  Wow!!! I thought you said they got 99% of the best recruits?  Now you are saying instead of 1% the G5 get 20%?  This is a lot of change!!!   Yes, the top G5 programs compete very well with the P5 despite not having the revenue.

Yeah lets look at draft picks and the NFL.  Boise has 13 players currently on NFL roster, only 36 teams have more (2 are G5).  Smack dab in the middle of the P5 right there with teams like Va Tech, TCU, Utah Oklahoma State etc....Of those players 3 are all pro.  After this year we should jump several spots as well as we look to have one of our stronger draft classes (4-5 picks) after several years of some of our weaker ones (Boise did not start regularly producing draft picks until 2007, so including the 6 years prior and your stat seems right).  We have two players currently that have been projected to go in the first round in Curtis Weaver Ezra Cleavland.  . We lag in money, like I said, so not sure why you are pointing that out.

The best G5 programs compete with the P5 in every way but money.  Further currently there is the ability for other G5 programs to rise up and have great seasons, Like Fresno or Houston.  What you want to see happen would eliminate that possibility.  Star players at the G5 level would enter the transfer pool to go to larger markets in hopes of signing a better deal.

You are flipping the bird to the thousands of G5 athletes that compete in sports not called football and basketball who rely on the scraps we are given in order to have the college experience they do.  You want to reduce our scraps because they are scraps anyways?  Great logic.

Sorry, the best players, the ones who would be signing these deals, can wait a few years before making millions and in the meantime enjoy an experience of a life time being a star on a college campus.

And LMAO at your AAA comparison, where every player makes a salary.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Nearly 5 times as many?!?!?!?  Wow!!! I thought you said they got 99% of the best recruits?  Now you are saying instead of 1% the G5 get 20%?  This is a lot of change!!!   Yes, the top G5 programs compete very well with the P5 despite not having the revenue.

Yeah lets look at draft picks and the NFL.  Boise has 13 players currently on NFL roster, only 36 teams have more (2 are G5).  Smack dab in the middle of the P5 right there with teams like Va Tech, TCU, Utah Oklahoma State etc....Of those players 3 are all pro.  After this year we should jump several spots as well as we look to have one of our stronger draft classes (4-5 picks) after several years of some of our weaker ones (Boise did not start regularly producing draft picks until 2007, so including the 6 years prior and your stat seems right).  We have two players currently that have been projected to go in the first round in Curtis Weaver Ezra Cleavland.  . We lag in money, like I said, so not sure why you are pointing that out.

The best G5 programs compete with the P5 in every way but money.  Further currently there is the ability for other G5 programs to rise up and have great seasons, Like Fresno or Houston.  What you want to see happen would eliminate that possibility.  Star players at the G5 level would enter the transfer pool to go to larger markets in hopes of signing a better deal.

You are flipping the bird to the thousands of G5 athletes that compete in sports not called football and basketball who rely on the scraps we are given in order to have the college experience they do.  You want to reduce our scraps because they are scraps anyways?  Great logic.

Sorry, the best players, the ones who would be signing these deals, can wait a few years before making millions and in the meantime enjoy an experience of a life time being a star on a college campus.

And LMAO at your AAA comparison, where every player makes a salary.

99% of the elite high school talent, which is what we're talking about here. I just find you bringing up the NFL hilarious because it does nothing to help your argument about talent disparity.

Sure some lesser recruited players might be diamonds in the rough, but Boise could still recruit those if Californias law became the rule nationally. 

Its adorable that you dug up one metric that Boise finishes middle of the pack in. You rank 53rd in number of players drafted since 2000. 

The best G5s compete if you count everything but talent. Almost nothing would change for them. They'd recruit the same 3 stars. Very few would leave, since it usually takes a couple years for those players to break out, and they have to sit out a year to transfer. If they set the world on fire as Freshman and want the chance to play a higher level, Then good for them.

The best players already go to big schools. As I showed above.

No one called for scholarships to be taken away. Try to keep up.

Two South Carolina lawmakers are going to introduce a similar bill in SEC country 

https://sports.yahoo.com/now-south-carolina-legislators-want-to-propose-a-bill-allowing-college-athletes-to-get-paid-131817831.html

From The State:

Their proposal would allow the state’s biggest colleges to pay $5,000-a-year stipends to athletes in profitable sports like football and basketball. It also would give collegiate athletes — who can receive free tuition and housing, but not pay — an opportunity to earn money from sponsorships and autograph sales for the first time.

5 hours ago, sebasour said:

99% of the elite high school talent, which is what we're talking about here. I just find you bringing up the NFL hilarious because it does nothing to help your argument about talent disparity.

Sure some lesser recruited players might be diamonds in the rough, but Boise could still recruit those if Californias law became the rule nationally. 

Its adorable that you dug up one metric that Boise finishes middle of the pack in. You rank 53rd in number of players drafted since 2000. 

The best G5s compete if you count everything but talent. Almost nothing would change for them. They'd recruit the same 3 stars. Very few would leave, since it usually takes a couple years for those players to break out, and they have to sit out a year to transfer. If they set the world on fire as Freshman and want the chance to play a higher level, Then good for them.

The best players already go to big schools. As I showed above.

No one called for scholarships to be taken away. Try to keep up.

Where did I say people called for scholarships to be taken away?  I am telling you what would happend to non revenue athletes at the G5 level whose programs are funded in large part by the revenue made in football and basketball, revenue sources you want to attack.  They would have a much worse college experience. 

Again the best way to show talent is by looking at NFL draft picks.  You say the best G5 compete if you look at anything but talent, I showed you the best G5 teams have P5 talent levels as judged by the NFL, you are a clown.  Dug up data?  LMAO I looked at the current number of players in the NFL, hardly "dug up data" 53rd since 2000 in draft picks?  Well yeah, we did not really start placing people in the NFL since 2007, 30% of the years you are accounting for we were not producing NFL talent at the clip we have since then

LMAO at the best G5's compete if you want to account for anything but talent.  Again, look at the players in the NFL, the NFL, which is the best measurement of talent, shows the top G5 teams place right in the middle of the P5.  

Almost every Boise recruit has multiple P5 offers, we do not recruit "diamonds in the rough" for the most part although we still have a few

The best G5 teams have P5 talent.  This is and has always been the case.  Have you paid attention to football the past 15 years?  For a period in the earlier in this decade Boise had around 20 players in the NFL (we had a good chunk retire in the pas few years) 

25 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The best G5 teams have P5 talent.  This is and has always been the case.  Have you paid attention to football the past 15 years?  For a period in the earlier in this decade Boise had around 20 players in the NFL (we had a good chunk retire in the pas few years) 

Gotta disagree here.  The 2009-10 TCU team was loaded with players no P5 school wanted.  Andy Dalton's other offers were Memphis, UTEP and SD State.  Tank Carder was a 2 star recruit.  Jerry Hughes was a lightly recruited running back.  That team had a dozen players ultimately drafted.  None were blue chippers.  But they were all coached up.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

15 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Comedy gold irony there, Captain SAN!  

Who in the world let’s something as ridiculous as SJSU athletics have total control of their life? Didn’t you also say that SJSU is the real cause of climate change? And that you have evidence that Russian influence has infiltrated the SJSU athletic department? It’s pretty obvious there’s several disorders merging together here for the SJSU Psychiatric Research Group to study. 👍

Oh, wow. The same cut and paste response about being obsessed with SJSU when no one brought up SJSU. Clown. 🤡 

Here’s what obsession really looks like:

4F80AB62-035D-4576-811C-44E78D3C7176.thumb.jpeg.90d0e31b8a76d47b77768e74a4830471.jpeg

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

11 minutes ago, RSF said:

Gotta disagree here.  The 2009-10 TCU team was loaded with players no P5 school wanted.  Andy Dalton's other offers were Memphis, UTEP and SD State.  Tank Carder was a 2 star recruit.  Jerry Hughes was a lightly recruited running back.  That team had a dozen players ultimately drafted.  None were blue chippers.  But they were all coached up.

That's not what I said though, I said talent those 3 were certainly NFL and P5 talents.  Under this new proposal Andy Dalton and Jerry Hughes likely leaves after his sophomore or Junior year for a large market after a company reaches out to them offering them 80k a year in appearance fees.  

Currently, for Boise.  4 star recruits Shakir, Bachmeier Kline and Holani likely never choose Boise in the first place.  Bach likely takes the Georgia offer.  Holani likely takes the Oregon or Cal offers.  Kline goes to Oregon or UCLA.  Skahir goes to UCLA.  Seabausars point that recruiting won't be impacted because the G5 teams don't recruit players the P5 wants is absurd.

1 hour ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Oh, wow. The same cut and paste response about being obsessed with SJSU when no one brought up SJSU. Clown. 🤡 

Here’s what obsession really looks like:

4F80AB62-035D-4576-811C-44E78D3C7176.thumb.jpeg.90d0e31b8a76d47b77768e74a4830471.jpeg

You do the exact same thing to me, sport, and you deserved all of those for all the lame statements you were making in that thread. 

Attempting to play diversionary games from the simple FACT that everyone here knows about your bizarre infatuation with SJSU. To most people it got old right after you started doing it. Some people thought it was funny for a while, but that’s long since turned into a cut and paste Ground Hog Day that people rolls their eyes at. At least Bill Murray was funny doing the same thing over and over again. 

kat.jpg

55 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

You do the exact same thing to me, sport, and you deserved all of those for all the lame statements you were making in that thread. 

Attempting to play diversionary games from the simple FACT that everyone here knows about your bizarre infatuation with SJSU. To most people it got old right after you started doing it. Some people thought it was funny for a while, but that’s long since turned into a cut and paste Ground Hog Day that people rolls their eyes at. At least Bill Murray was funny doing the same thing over and over again. 

Okay, nut job. Whatever you say. 

723B754A-7BF1-4BAB-B8F5-9ECE6F56B041.gif

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

5 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Where did I say people called for scholarships to be taken away?  I am telling you what would happend to non revenue athletes at the G5 level whose programs are funded in large part by the revenue made in football and basketball, revenue sources you want to attack.  They would have a much worse college experience. 

Again the best way to show talent is by looking at NFL draft picks.  You say the best G5 compete if you look at anything but talent, I showed you the best G5 teams have P5 talent levels as judged by the NFL, you are a clown.  Dug up data?  LMAO I looked at the current number of players in the NFL, hardly "dug up data" 53rd since 2000 in draft picks?  Well yeah, we did not really start placing people in the NFL since 2007, 30% of the years you are accounting for we were not producing NFL talent at the clip we have since then

LMAO at the best G5's compete if you want to account for anything but talent.  Again, look at the players in the NFL, the NFL, which is the best measurement of talent, shows the top G5 teams place right in the middle of the P5.  

Almost every Boise recruit has multiple P5 offers, we do not recruit "diamonds in the rough" for the most part although we still have a few

Then what the +++++ is your point? Non  revenue sports wouldn't be impacted in the slightest. It wouldn't cost the schools a dime, the money would come from 3rd parties.

No, when we're talking about recruiting, the best thing to look at is +++++ing recruiting rankings. You know the thing that looks at rosters as a whole.

It's just funny that you retreat to a metric that shows Boise State with a meh track record and a league that drafts P5 players 5 times as much as G5 players.

Boise's NFL talent is largely diamonds in the rough. The bulk of your recruits are 3 stars who've decided that having a chance to play at an elite MWC school is better than sitting on the bench at a big P5 school or starting at a shitty P5 school. And let's be clear, you lose those battles far more often than you win them.

You call me a clown, yet display some remarkable cognitive dissonance. Boise State recruits and produces talents at a similar rate to Rutgers, yet you claim there's little gap between the P5 and G5 outside of a few elite schools.

4 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That's not what I said though, I said talent those 3 were certainly NFL and P5 talents.  Under this new proposal Andy Dalton and Jerry Hughes likely leaves after his sophomore or Junior year for a large market after a company reaches out to them offering them 80k a year in appearance fees.  

Andy Dalton didn't start getting buzz until his redshirt junior season. If he wanted to leave TCU for money, he would have declared for The NFL Draft early. He wouldn't sit out a year, and then go to Ole Miss because a booster offered him a free Camaro.

That's what you're not getting. Yes there's plenty of 3 stars who blossom into elite talents, however they rarely show that until they're upperclassman at which point transferring becomes pointless.

If you have an extremely rare instance where a player lights the world on fire as a Freshman, and wants to move up to the SEC, then oh well. Good for him

All I was responding to was that the best G5 teams have P5 talent.  Its not always true.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Then what the +++++ is your point? Non  revenue sports wouldn't be impacted in the slightest. It wouldn't cost the schools a dime, the money would come from 3rd parties.

No, when we're talking about recruiting, the best thing to look at is +++++ing recruiting rankings. You know the thing that looks at rosters as a whole.

It's just funny that you retreat to a metric that shows Boise State with a meh track record and a league that drafts P5 players 5 times as much as G5 players.

Boise's NFL talent is largely diamonds in the rough. The bulk of your recruits are 3 stars who've decided that having a chance to play at an elite MWC school is better than sitting on the bench at a big P5 school or starting at a shitty P5 school. And let's be clear, you lose those battles far more often than you win them.

You call me a clown, yet display some remarkable cognitive dissonance. Boise State recruits and produces talents at a similar rate to Rutgers, yet you claim there's little gap between the P5 and G5 outside of a few elite schools.

You want to target one of their main sources of revenue, football and basketball profit.  At Boise and Fresno for example there are tons of underclassmen that got playing time that would immediately be targeted to transfer.  Hurting our product on the field and thus our revenue.  Are you dense?  If you turn the G5 into farm teams for the P5, which this would, G5 fans are not going to buy tickets to games and will largely give up on the sport(s).  This year for example on offense we never would have gotten Hank at QB, neither of our 4 star RB's or Shakir at WR.  Weaver would have either taken his last minute USC offer or transferred out after being named Freshmen All American.  Takes us from a borderline top 25 team to a run of the mil G5 team.  Takes us from operating a program millions in the black to millions in the red.

Retreat to a metric?  No clown, when talking talent, the NFL is the impartial judge and always has been.  Almost every single one of our recruits has multiple P5 offers.  High 3 star recruits with half a dozen P5 offers are only diamonds in the rough in your world.

Yes again, the top G5 teams have P5 talent.  We always have, going back a hot a minute.

Andy Dalton didn't start getting buzz until his redshirt junior season. If he wanted to leave TCU for money, he would have declared for The NFL Draft early. He wouldn't sit out a year, and then go to Ole Miss because a booster offered him a free Camaro.

That's what you're not getting. Yes there's plenty of 3 stars who blossom into elite talents, however they rarely show that until they're upperclassman at which point transferring becomes pointless.

If you have an extremely rare instance where a player lights the world on fire as a Freshman, and wants to move up to the SEC, then oh well. Good for him

Like Boise State's Curtis Weaver?  Or Nevada's Taua or potentially Strong?

16 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You want to target one of their main sources of revenue, football and basketball profit.  At Boise and Fresno for example there are tons of underclassmen that got playing time that would immediately be targeted to transfer.  Hurting our product on the field and thus our revenue.  Are you dense?  If you turn the G5 into farm teams for the P5, which this would, G5 fans are not going to buy tickets to games and will largely give up on the sport(s).  This year for example on offense we never would have gotten Hank at QB, neither of our 4 star RB's or Shakir at WR.  Weaver would have either taken his last minute USC offer or transferred out after being named Freshmen All American.  Takes us from a borderline top 25 team to a run of the mil G5 team.  Takes us from operating a program millions in the black to millions in the red.

Retreat to a metric?  No clown, when talking talent, the NFL is the impartial judge and always has been.  Almost every single one of our recruits has multiple P5 offers.  High 3 star recruits with half a dozen P5 offers are only diamonds in the rough in your world.

Yes again, the top G5 teams have P5 talent.  We always have, going back a hot a minute.

I think you're far overestimating the value of your underclassmen friend. You might lose Hank and Weaver but I doubt boosters around the country are rolling out the red carpet for guys that would likely come off the bench. Plus your boosters could make offers too . Your fans seems to buy tickets despite your team having zero chance at a title. I think you'd be fine. Schools with far less football success than Boise manage to fund their other programs.

I do find your use of "run of the mill G5 team" interesting. You seem to acknowledge the gap there. 

No the NFL is not the only judge Cletus, and as we showed earlier The G5 does poorly there too. Recruiting rankings focus on your team as a whole, not the just the top few. 

It's also funny, that you view the few recruiting battles that you win against P5 schools as a badge of legitimacy, yet view the many that you lose as unimportant.

31 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Like Boise State's Curtis Weaver?  Or Nevada's Taua or potentially Strong?

Yeah, like them

11 minutes ago, sebasour said:

I think you're far overestimating the value of your underclassmen friend. You might lose Hank and Weaver but I doubt boosters around the country are rolling out the red carpet for guys that would likely come off the bench. Plus your boosters could make offers too . Your fans seems to buy tickets despite your team having zero chance at a title. I think you'd be fine. Schools with far less football success than Boise manage to fund their other programs.

I do find your use of "run of the mill G5 team" interesting. You seem to acknowledge the gap there. 

No the NFL is not the only judge Cletus, and as we showed earlier The G5 does poorly there too. Recruiting rankings focus on your team as a whole, not the just the top few. 

It's also funny, that you view the few recruiting battles that you win against P5 schools as a badge of legitimacy, yet view the many that you lose as unimportant.

Yeah, like them

Hank would start from day 1 at a lot of P5 programs in big markets, Like UCLA..  My argument is and has always been the top of the G5, the top of the G5 does just fine in the NFL draft.  G5 fans would stop coming to games if we became a farm system.  I get it though, you hate women that have their programs funded by football and basketball.  You care much more about the elite men who will be making millions in a few years anyways being treated "fairly" as if being a star on a college campus is just such a rough life.  Sure we could ask the tax payers and student to float more of the bill, like UNM does.

Boise has the best non revenue sports in the G5 and a big part of that is due to the success of our football team.  The NFL is by far the best judge of talent, I guess for players that do not get drafted you could include the CFL as well.  They few we win?  Nearly our entire roster was built with recruiting wins over the P5.

What you want to see happen would further grow the divide between the G5 and the P5, but +++++ it because there is already a divide?  Great logic, Kyle.

On 9/11/2019 at 4:44 PM, happycamper said:

Not even remotely accurate. There's a massive breadth in each engineering degree and they all involve a ton of theory. 

I know you think you know things. You don't. 

Blues, you literally argued that the State Plane Coordinate System was not a coordinate system, quoting a source that in its second sentence called it a coordinate system.

Chad Muma, Mechanical Engineering

Jack Boyer and Chance Hoffer, Energy Systems Engineering (?)

Isaiah Neyor, Electrical Engineering

Alonzo Velasquez, Computer Science (same building, still counts)

Jaylon Watson and Keegan Cryder, Civil Engineering

Marco Machado, Chemical Engineering

Nice so you are probably the only school in the conference that allows engineering majors on their team.  Maybe SJSU does.

Notice though, you couldn't find a single science major.  Probably because science is too easy compared to engineering with all that theory!  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

I have proven you wrong with your coordinate system claim, but you won't admit it.  When Townships very from six miles to a 100 feet or less in width you don't have a coordinate system.  Just like last time you don't have the honesty required to admit your wrong.  Not to mention the earth isn't perfectly round which is why a coordinate system can't work.  A 12000 foot mountain has a lot more land area in the middle of a 36 mile square than a plain would have.  It is just facts that i guess and engineer can't   handle.

Too much theory in your head i guess!  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

19 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Nice so you are probably the only school in the conference that allows engineering majors on their team.  Maybe SJSU does.

Notice though, you couldn't find a single science major.  Probably because science is too easy compared to engineering with all that theory!  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

You asked for engineering, I provided engineering.

Tristen Lee, Wildlife and Fish Biology

Ryan Galovich, Zoology

Jerome Cooper, Animal and Veterinary Science

Skyler Miller, Animal and Veterinary Science

There's, I think, 4 chem grads and UW a year. It would be surprising numerically to even have 1 chem major once every 20 years on the football team. 

I have proven you wrong with your coordinate system claim, but you won't admit it.  When Townships very from six miles to a 100 feet or less in width you don't have a coordinate system.  Just like last time you don't have the honesty required to admit your wrong.  Not to mention the earth isn't perfectly round which is why a coordinate system can't work.  A 12000 foot mountain has a lot more land area in the middle of a 36 mile square than a plain would have.  It is just facts that i guess and engineer can't   handle.

^^Yes, you still don't know what a coordinate system is. Given this you honestly don't even seem to understand the cartesian system which... worries me about education. 

Too much theory in your head i guess!  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

Understanding words is sure hard. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 minutes ago, happycamper said:

You asked for engineering, I provided engineering.

Tristen Lee, Wildlife and Fish Biology

Ryan Galovich, Zoology

Jerome Cooper, Animal and Veterinary Science

Skyler Miller, Animal and Veterinary Science

There's, I think, 4 chem grads and UW a year. It would be surprising numerically to even have 1 chem major once every 20 years on the football team. 

^^Yes, you still don't know what a coordinate system is. Given this you honestly don't even seem to understand the cartesian system which... worries me about education. 

Understanding words is sure hard. 

Well that reflects well on Wyoming's athletic department.

Your inability to understand simple math doesn't reflect well on Wyoming's engineering department.

Your lack of honesty doesn't reflect well on you.