Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

California Bill to Pay Athletes Passes

This could lead to a lot of corruption depending upon implementation .

A few years ago OU got into trouble with the NCAA because football players were supposedly working for  an auto company. They were not  showing up for work but were getting paid. Does this mean the auto company could hang players pictures and pay them?

4 hours ago, happycamper said:

This story is secondhand but I was told by a guy who doesn't really make stuff up that When DC came to Wyoming, he tried to buffalo Dr Dolan into not requiring calc 1 for the players getting a c.e. degree because "his players didn't need that much math".

You and I both know that there is a long tradition of football players in the school of engineering and applied science but hot shot p5 coordinator apparently thought the way blues is talking.

(Blues has gotten his ass kicked taking about math and science stuff on the ot forum to guys with engineering degrees so he denigrates the degree)

Wouldn't surprise me if true.  I do know first hand a number of professors in the College of Engineering soured on DC pretty quickly. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall to see Charlie's reaction to that.

5 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

Maybe the Pac12 finally adds CSU, UNM, Nevada, and UNLV

If the CA schools get the boot all of a sudden academic profile stops being the deal breaker.  The best most relevant programs would be added.  Boise, BYU, Hawaii and UNLV.  

2 hours ago, since1670 said:

This could lead to a lot of corruption depending upon implementation .

A few years ago OU got into trouble with the NCAA because football players were supposedly working for  an auto company. They were not  showing up for work but were getting paid. Does this mean the auto company could hang players pictures and pay them?

From what I can gleam ....yes.If this passes.

12 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

From what I can gleam ....yes.If this passes.

There would be a lot of loopholes to close and it’s my guess many won’t be closed. This comes across to me as an excellent chance for the elite schools to pay star players a lot of money within the rules instead of under the table. 

On 9/10/2019 at 3:26 PM, mugtang said:

“I’m Carson Strong and when I get bored I head out to the ranch, Mustang Ranch”. 

7.2 miles door to door from McCarron Blvd & Mongolo Ct...

10 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

This is so +++++ing hilarious - How does the NCAA have standing?  They are a private non profit corporation.

If the California schools try to remain members of the NCAA, it would have standing.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

On 9/10/2019 at 2:26 PM, mugtang said:

But if all schools can benefit from this it may level the playing field a bit.  What’s to stop a Reno car delearship from offering a kid 50k a year to be the face of their dealership, for example.  And it could mean the G5 schools actually wins some more recruiting battles with better offers for certain players.  The schools won’t be paying this money. 

With boosters footing the bill for top players, the market for athletes is going to be a lot like the market for coaches with the Alabama and OSU's of the world being able to flat outspend everyone else.  

The real question will be how much are your boosters willing to pony up and how will that effect how much they give directly to the programs.  If the car dealer in Reno or a big west side farmer in Fresno is shelling out thousands directly to players, are they going to keep giving money to the athletic department for facilities and coaching.  

19 hours ago, Monty93 said:

Boosters are already prohibited from providing student-athletes with any benefits that may be related to their status as an athlete. My company employed a student-athlete as an intern one summer and I had to clear it with our NCAA compliance office - down to the question of whether I could buy lunch for the student-athlete (answer - as long as it's the same as other employees and not a unique benefit). 

I'm pretty sure that if I paid a student-athlete to use their image in an advertisement, it would be a violation of NCAA Booster rules. 

I know, anyone who gets season tickets get the booster notice...my only point is that they don't over correct when changing the system to pay these kids. 

19 hours ago, Monty93 said:

Boosters are already prohibited from providing student-athletes with any benefits that may be related to their status as an athlete. My company employed a student-athlete as an intern one summer and I had to clear it with our NCAA compliance office - down to the question of whether I could buy lunch for the student-athlete (answer - as long as it's the same as other employees and not a unique benefit). 

I'm pretty sure that if I paid a student-athlete to use their image in an advertisement, it would be a violation of NCAA Booster rules. 

Yes, it would definitely be against NCAA regulations.  The problem is CA schools would be forbidden by law from preventing players from being paid, including preventing them from pulling a scholarship. 

The law also prevents the NCAA from banning teams over the issue, but I don't see that standing up in court.  

16 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

In general I think if people pay to watch a sport then the athletes playing the sport should see some of that revenue.

I agree but the revenue will almost certainly dry up.   Amateurism is a sham, but it's a sham that most of the country still believes in, and even for those who don't really buy in it still makes itself known.  My connection to Fresno State the school is a hell of a lot more personal than my connection to the Fresno Grizzlies.   If the NCAA goes belly-up entirely (which it will, it's only a matter of time. 4 years or 40?), will i give a shit about whatever AA team moves into bulldog stadium (if one even does?) probably not.

The players who benefit from the system going boom and the NFL being forced to step in with a farm league or two are the upper 1/3 or so of FBS talent.  The NFL isn't going to fund a full-scale tiered system like the MLB because of the sheer number of players involved, so at most you'll see AAA and AA equivalents.  That's 64 teams x 55 spots vs 130 FBS teams x 85 scholarships....and that's not counting all the street free agents that float from team to team that would be in those farm teams as well, or FCS or D2.

Point is the system's a sham, but it's a sham at the expense of the statistically elite talent that in exchange grants a massive number of less-talented kids a free education, however much value you want to place on that.

I am pretty sure the NCAA is NOT a CA entity. When they operate in CA, they have to follow CA state law but that is it. So, it is reasonable that the NCAA could not force the players to be amateurs when UCLA vs USC play. But, there is nothing that CA can do to make the NCAA recognize the game, put their name-brand stamp on the game, rank them, or give them access to it's bowls. If the NCAA wants to boot every CA school from membership, it can. And there is nothing CA can really do about it besides sue. My guess is that they wouldn't win, but who knows.

I don't know what to think about this topic. It's a mixed bag. I'm a free market guy so I hate the NCAA but the schools have issues...

What I do know is that this bill does NOTHING to fix any of the issues NCAA members face.
Great, let's pay players. We will be down to 40 teams in no time flat. The other 80 teams will drop down to FCS. FBS football will look like a sloppy version of the NFL.
The real fun will now be FCS.
And they have a playoff! :)  

57 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

I agree but the revenue will almost certainly dry up.   Amateurism is a sham, but it's a sham that most of the country still believes in, and even for those who don't really buy in it still makes itself known.  My connection to Fresno State the school is a hell of a lot more personal than my connection to the Fresno Grizzlies.   If the NCAA goes belly-up entirely (which it will, it's only a matter of time. 4 years or 40?), will i give a shit about whatever AA team moves into bulldog stadium (if one even does?) probably not.

The players who benefit from the system going boom and the NFL being forced to step in with a farm league or two are the upper 1/3 or so of FBS talent.  The NFL isn't going to fund a full-scale tiered system like the MLB because of the sheer number of players involved, so at most you'll see AAA and AA equivalents.  That's 64 teams x 55 spots vs 130 FBS teams x 85 scholarships....and that's not counting all the street free agents that float from team to team that would be in those farm teams as well, or FCS or D2.

Point is the system's a sham, but it's a sham at the expense of the statistically elite talent that in exchange grants a massive number of less-talented kids a free education, however much value you want to place on that.

Very good points. If the NFL starts a minor league, the stars will get paid. The less talented kids and lower level coaches will get screwed. And the fan base for the minor leagues will be much smaller than what the colleges draw now. Most people that go to college games either attended or have some affinity for the school. There will be no such allegiance to minor league teams. 

14 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Very good points. If the NFL starts a minor league, the stars will get paid. The less talented kids and lower level coaches will get screwed. And the fan base for the minor leagues will be much smaller than what the colleges draw now. Most people that go to college games either attended or have some affinity for the school. There will be no such allegiance to minor league teams. 

The only way to prop the system as it currently is up would be the NCAA taking charge of conference TV contracts and redistributing the revenue downward to allow the whole of the NCAA to pay everyone on roster, but that's a non-starter for a billion different reasons.   Slashing coach salaries would also help, but again, nonstarter.

I didn't even mention the long-term effect the loss of the NCAA will have on football participation in high schools, kneecapping the hell out of of the NFL's talent pool. 

Any bets on how this will turn out? I doubt California backs down. After all they think they are at the forefront of progressive thought. My guess is the NCAA will back down and the law will go nation wide. The big problem will be the NCAA regulating paying for likenesses which will surely be abused. It will take a small army of administrators to regulate it.

I can also see how it will mess with team chemistry. How are the guys not getting paid going to feel about those that are. I’m guessing the have nots will want to be paid a stipend by the schools and that’s where it’s going to get messy. The cash cow schools will be all for it and a stipend won’t be a problem. The G5 schools won’t have the financial resources and will competitively fall further behind the P5 schools essentially relegating them to a separate division just a notch above FCS. Some may just say screw it and drop football which will impact funding for all other sports on campus.

In any event I think we are going to see some bigtime changes to the future of college football. 

1 hour ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

Agree with all of this. If it means a massive number of less-talented kids get a free education, then so be it. Young aspiring entertainers that pursue music or acting don’t have easy access (for the most part) to scholarships, I don’t see why athletes have to be in this special category. People with this stupid faux outrage at the thought of low income athletes not getting a free education should direct that outrage at the absurd cost of higher education in the U.S. that makes these scholarships such a big deal in the first place.