Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

California Bill to Pay Athletes Passes

2 hours ago, Monty93 said:

Okay - I'll bite.

How do you define a "real" science degree? Moreover, why is only a "science" degree as you define it deemed to be of sufficient value? Admittedly, there are a lot of Criminal Justice and Communication majors out there - but there are a number of people with a "glorified business degree" who manage to make out pretty well. Hell, I know someone who has a degree in Art History who is making six figures less than four years after graduation. It's not necessary the field of study as much as the person who earned the degree. 

Nothing wrong with a business degree especially if you want to go into business.

A science degree is a degree in a science, like Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Physics.

Pretty simple.   

You will not find one BSU football player in history of the team ever getting one except for one guy who quit after his sophomore year to get the degree he desired.

Only a few schools like Ohio State, U of Miami, Notre Dame, Stanford offer a full opportunity at an education to their football athletes.

2 hours ago, RSF said:

So none of those women's players has a scholarship to fund?  Or a coaching staff to pay?  Travel expenses?

Interesting.

Sure and they make way more money than the cost of those things.

It costs nothing in a school of 20K students to add 400 athletic scholarships.   You don't have to build any more classrooms, hire any more teachers.   So you can toss that out to begin with.

The money they make and prestige those girls give the school far far exceeds any cost.  

Besides if it doesn't, you should be happy the school will be able to pay less if these kids aren't worth the money in a fair negotiation.  The fact the women's coaches in a fair negotiation make $100's of thousands of dollars makes your claim pretty obviously ridiculous.

4 hours ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Ok so a bachelor of science is not a science degree.  A field (engineering) that requires sufficient understanding of physics, chemistry, biology in order to harness or work with those aspects of nature to develop real world results is not a scientific field?  Sure thing blue.  Point is I had a number of football players including starters in my civil engineering classes.  Those weren't cakewalk courses.  Most student athletes are not going pro and are not being exploited but benefit from getting a paid for education and degree with no student debt.  Up to the individual to pick a worthwhile degree or not join a program that is going to try and shoehorn them into a less worthwhile program. 

This story is secondhand but I was told by a guy who doesn't really make stuff up that When DC came to Wyoming, he tried to buffalo Dr Dolan into not requiring calc 1 for the players getting a c.e. degree because "his players didn't need that much math".

You and I both know that there is a long tradition of football players in the school of engineering and applied science but hot shot p5 coordinator apparently thought the way blues is talking.

(Blues has gotten his ass kicked taking about math and science stuff on the ot forum to guys with engineering degrees so he denigrates the degree)

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

If this goes through realistically speaking it probably destroys any pretense of competitive equity in the NCAA.

It's funny because the only programs that really have a leg to stand on and complain about the loss of that equity are the historically good mid-majors.  The blue-bloods have always bought their players under the table anyways, the crap p5 schools have benefited from conference money and name brand and get recruits they don't really deserve, and the absolute bottom rung of FBS is basically the diet equivalent of crap p5 schools, stealing recruits from good FCS schools because they're in FBS.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

I'd be all for that, let the NFL and the NBA develop real minor league systems. I do believe, or at least hope, the NBA is headed in that direction.

So, it seems that your real issue shouldn't be with the universities but with the professional leagues which use the long established college athletic programs as training grounds.

Even if the NFL and NBA had their own legitimate minor leagues, I believe college athletics would continued making large revenues. Would your opinion remain the same? If so, why?

Yes, my bigger problem is with the NFL and NBA (although if they end the one and done as expected, then it’ll just be the NFL). 

But yea, my opinion would remain the same even if the NFL begins their own minor league and the NBA ends one and done. In general I think if people pay to watch a sport then the athletes playing the sport should see some of that revenue.

17 minutes ago, happycamper said:

This story is secondhand but I was told by a guy who doesn't really make stuff up that When DC came to Wyoming, he tried to buffalo Dr Dolan into not requiring calc 1 for the players getting a c.e. degree because "his players didn't need that much math".

You and I both know that there is a long tradition of football players in the school of engineering and applied science but hot shot p5 coordinator apparently thought the way blues is talking.

(Blues has gotten his ass kicked taking about math and science stuff on the ot forum to guys with engineering degrees so he denigrates the degree)

Nothing wrong with an engineering degree.

It is like a medical degree or a degree in x-ray.   A degree for a specific technical job.

It isn't a science degree.

I have never had my ass kicked by you not once on this board.   You have hid from my posts over and over just like you hid this post.

Since their are so many football players in your college of engineering.    Why don't you name a couple current ones?

12 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

If this goes through realistically speaking it probably destroys any pretense of competitive equity in the NCAA.

It's funny because the only programs that really have a leg to stand on and complain about the loss of that equity are the historically good mid-majors.  The blue-bloods have always bought their players under the table anyways, the crap p5 schools have benefited from conference money and name brand and get recruits they don't really deserve, and the absolute bottom rung of FBS is basically the diet equivalent of crap p5 schools, stealing recruits from good FCS schools because they're in FBS.

Actually it makes the competition actually equal.  The opposite of your claim.

It puts everyone on a fair playing field if players get to negotiate in a free market.

3 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Actually it makes the competition actually equal.  The opposite of your claim.

It puts everyone on a fair playing field if players get to negotiate in a free market.

and that's probably the fairest end result, but there's no denying the vast disparity in resources between, say USC and Boise or Fresno or SDSU.    A blue-blood program can call up a single rich booster and have them cover the entire team on  "endorsement" deals.   A G5 school can manage that for a handful of stars at best. 

Just now, bluerules009 said:

Nothing wrong with an engineering degree.

It is like a medical degree or a degree in x-ray.   A degree for a specific technical job.

Not even remotely accurate. There's a massive breadth in each engineering degree and they all involve a ton of theory. 

I know you think you know things. You don't. 

It isn't a science degree.

I have never had my ass kicked by you not once on this board.   You have hid from my posts over and over just like you hid this post.

Blues, you literally argued that the State Plane Coordinate System was not a coordinate system, quoting a source that in its second sentence called it a coordinate system.

Since their are so many football players in your college of engineering.    Why don't you name a couple current ones?

Chad Muma, Mechanical Engineering

Jack Boyer and Chance Hoffer, Energy Systems Engineering (?)

Isaiah Neyor, Electrical Engineering

Alonzo Velasquez, Computer Science (same building, still counts)

Jaylon Watson and Keegan Cryder, Civil Engineering

Marco Machado, Chemical Engineering

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, bluerules009 said:

Market value just like you get for your work.

Minimum wage in the Arena league was $80K a year.  College sports are far more profitable.

All college athletes are free to leave school and go play arena ball. Or the xfl or that other new league. Get paid and show their skills to the nfl nothing wrong with that. 

College sports aren’t successful because of the players. You could have Every player that is gonna get drafted this year not play a single down and nothing would change as far as revenue goes for the schools.  

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

49 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yes, my bigger problem is with the NFL and NBA (although if they end the one and done as expected, then it’ll just be the NFL). 

But yea, my opinion would remain the same even if the NFL begins their own minor league and the NBA ends one and done. In general I think if people pay to watch a sport then the athletes playing the sport should see some of that revenue.

How many people do you think will go watch minor league football? Several pro leagues have failed already due to lack of interest.  Count me out. I only watch a few NFL games per season. 

2 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

So what about baseball players then?  Would their choice be to go to the minor leagues or go to college and if they go to college then they cannot profit off of their likeness?  Or would baseball players still be able to profit as well even though they chose the college route?

I'm afraid I'm mixing several different ideas/issues. I'm generally talking about schools compensating athletes, which I know isn't what this OP law is about.

Yes, I do believe that all college athletes, men and women, should be allowed to profit from outside sources for the commercial use of their likeness. There would obviously need to be some type of compliance system and I'm sure some will try to abuse the system, no different than it is already.

I do not believe universities need to compensate athletes more than they do already. (scholarship, room, board, coaching, training, and medical care)

2 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

And I would argue that they are already well compensated with scholarships, room, board, etc.

How many 18-22 year old's are making the equivalent of $40-60k/yr?

31 minutes ago, renoskier said:

And I would argue that they are already well compensated with scholarships, room, board, etc.

You also need to factor in their future earnings as a result of those who get a degree as opposed to those that don’t have the scholarship opportunity and cant afford a college education. 

28 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

How many people do you think will go watch minor league football? Several pro leagues have failed already due to lack of interest.  Count me out. I only watch a few NFL games per season. 

My point isn’t that a minor league would be a money maker, because it wouldn’t be. It would likely lose money, that’s why the NFL would never do it willingly. If the NCAA collapses then it forces the NFL’s hand, so I support anything that will help move things in that direction. This bill helps. 

45 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Dude, I just fundamentally disagree with you, ok? I find this whole model disgusting. 

3 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

It costs nothing in a school of 20K students to add 400 athletic scholarships.   You don't have to build any more classrooms, hire any more teachers.   So you can toss that out to begin with.

You're not considering the amount of support and administrative services related to those scholarships - or you have a different definition of "nothing". You have to add in the ancillary costs that are related to athletic scholarships (NCAA compliance costs, tutoring services, meals, athletic housing, etc), which are not minor. 

Aztec-Nation-Banner2010-03.gif