Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Boise and BYU agree to new football series

38 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Have we ever lost to Utah? If so it must have been in our 1-AA days. Even then I think we beat them several times. 

Not while we were both FBS. When Boise was 1-AA, Utah beat us (they were 1-A at the time). Pretty sure, anyway.

4 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Assuming what?

Boise's Indy TV contract with ESPN pretty much assures that Boise will be good for a long time.

I don't think anyone is worried about BSU or the quality of their product moving forward. The biggest assumption is that BYU will still be fielding a football team at that point in time.

BYU-BSU selling out both stadiums -----> series extended.  Same reason why CU and Nebraska will extend their series in the not too distant future.  Still, both schools should be lauded for continuing a series...you don't realize what you miss when games like that end for even awhile.

39 minutes ago, Dimwhit said:

Not while we were both FBS. When Boise was 1-AA, Utah beat us (they were 1-A at the time). Pretty sure, anyway.

Pretty sure we even beat them as an FCS/1-AA team also.

27 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

I don't think anyone is worried about BSU or the quality of their product moving forward. 

Tell that to all the Fresno fans chirping about how we are all but done for all +++++ing offseason.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

2 hours ago, Dimwhit said:

image.png.a14223afb8b95117dc054c38fe7e66ed.png

I don’t like this arrangement at all.  BYU chose to leave the conference seeking greener pastures which have yet to materialize.  I’m good with an occasional game with BYU, but not every year.  MWC  teams are accommodating BYU.  BYU acts like conference mates without the commitment.  Basically getting conference benefits (solid scheduling, for example) while bringing nothing to the conference.  BSU’s a great national brand and can fill the BYU slot with P5 or upper G5 games and get paid for those games.  I don’t see why we are helping them scam the conference.  I just don’t get it.  If they want to play BSU every year than get off the high horse and come back to the MWC.  Otherwise, good luck with your scheduling.

4 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

That's cool that you shared your personal fantasy about BYU.... but I don't think BYU will ever get that close of ties with USU----the Trucking Degree USU offers doesn't really fit.

Even Boise dropped that.   Only USU does that now.

https://www.usu.edu/degrees/index.cfm?id=229

I know I’m digressing, but I’ve never understood the constant mocking of “truck driving” certificate/degrees. Truckers/shippers make a killing, I know a bunch of Ukrainians that are making over $170K a year. It’s freaking good money.

52 minutes ago, Spazdog said:

I don’t like this arrangement at all.  BYU chose to leave the conference seeking greener pastures which have yet to materialize.  I’m good with an occasional game with BYU, but not every year.  MWC  teams are accommodating BYU.  BYU acts like conference mates without the commitment.  Basically getting conference benefits (solid scheduling, for example) while bringing nothing to the conference.  BSU’s a great national brand and can fill the BYU slot with P5 or upper G5 games and get paid for those games.  I don’t see why we are helping them scam the conference.  I just don’t get it.  If they want to play BSU every year than get off the high horse and come back to the MWC.  Otherwise, good luck with your scheduling.

It’s very simple, there’s a huge BYU base in the Treasure Valley and in Provo it’s an easy commute for BSU fans.  Regardless of how you want to spin it, it’s a guaranteed sell out for both programs and ESPN loves the match up/day time table. 

If I remember right, every single game has gone to the last minutes except one - believe it was a BSU blowout.  

I fcking hate BYU, this is by far my favorite game of the year.  Yeah, BYU may be down right now in regards to their wins and losses - but they play to the death against us. 

Time for @Jack Bauer to stop being a pussy and continue our yearly siggy bet.  

3 hours ago, Dimwhit said:

BSU Vs. UU      BSU is 5-2 with one victory occurring when BSU was 1AA.  Even as a school in a lower division, UU barely eked out their two victories.  With the same number of scholarships, BSU is on a four game win streak.  BSU became a 1A (FBS) school in 1996.

1980     BSU 28   UU 7

1985     BSU 17  UU 20

1987     BSU 27  UU 31

1998     BSU 31  UU 28

1999     BSU 26  UU 20

2006    BSU 36  UU 3

2010    BSU 26  UU 3  (LVB)

1 hour ago, Spazdog said:

This is a great arrangement the way I see it.  BSU has been bleeding season tickets and money every year.  What this series did is add value to our season ticket package for 5 years, guaranteed 5 sell outs, creates excitement for the LDS community in Boise, rewards our fan base with a cheap travel destination.  It is 10 for sure ESPN games which brings up the last point.  Perhaps most importantly, it makes ESPN happy as they now have 10 valuable games in a hard time slot to fill.  Good news, making ESPN happy as we are currently negotiating our own deal with them.  

How is BYU "scamming" the conference?

There is no doubt that we can sellout Bronco Stadium with BYU playing on the Blue.  I will bet we sellout for Florida State, Michigan State, Oregon, Washington, etc., too.  We don't play these teams every year and even the most casual fan would be interested in attending these games.  I will also bet that games with Houston, Cincinnati and even UCF would sell out if they ventured onto the Blue. That's not my point.

BYU is exploiting the Mountain West as a whole and teams like BSU to fill their independent schedule.  Remember, they were a member of the conference but bailed because Utah left for the PAC12 and their feelings were hurt. I have a hard time looking the other way when it comes to BYU. Right now, we are being played.  And I'm not strictly talking about BSU. To me, if they want to enjoy the benefits of the Mountain West, then rejoin the Mountain West Conference.  Then BSU can whip up on them annually.  Otherwise, play BYU once every three or four years.    

12 minutes ago, Spazdog said:

There is no doubt that we can sellout Bronco Stadium with BYU playing on the Blue.  I will bet we sellout for Florida State, Michigan State, Oregon, Washington, etc., too.  We don't play these teams every year and even the most casual fan would be interested in attending these games.  I will also bet that games with Houston, Cincinnati and even UCF would sell out if they ventured onto the Blue. That's not my point.

BYU is exploiting the Mountain West as a whole and teams like BSU to fill their independent schedule.  Remember, they were a member of the conference but bailed because Utah left for the PAC12 and their feelings were hurt. I have a hard time looking the other way when it comes to BYU. Right now, we are being played.  And I'm not strictly talking about BSU. To me, if they want to enjoy the benefits of the Mountain West, then rejoin the Mountain West Conference.  Then BSU can whip up on them annually.  Otherwise, play BYU once every three or four years.    

No, Houston and Cinci would not sell out Albertsons stadium.  What is your point? Getting home and home's is not that easy with P5's we are very lucky to get one year due to our location but we have 4 OOC spots to fill.  It sounds like you are saying these BYU games could have just been filled with P5 home and homes each year?  If so...lol.

I don't care why BYU left, the point remains they left and their schedule is so filled out with P5 games there is no way they could afford to come back the MWC.   Boise did what is best for Boise, BYU will not come back to the MWC and it has nothing to do with MWC teams filling out their schedule and everything to do with money.  They make more, and they have something like 25 million hanging in buy outs.  So we may as well do what is in the best interest of our school.

The only way BYU comes back to the MWC is if the playoff is expanded with an auto bid to the G5.

57 minutes ago, Spazdog said:

There is no doubt that we can sellout Bronco Stadium with BYU playing on the Blue.  I will bet we sellout for Florida State, Michigan State, Oregon, Washington, etc., too.  We don't play these teams every year and even the most casual fan would be interested in attending these games. 

And if we could schedule these teams every year we would. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

I'm not just talking about BSU.  I am talking about the conference as a whole.  I don't care about BYU's team, whatsoever.  But, they have opted to exploit the teams within our conference for their gain. BSU along with the other teams within our conference are getting played.  If they don't want to be in our conference and it's all about the money, then BYU needs to open their checkbook (I'm not talking about pocket change) and pay BSU and the other MW teams for each of the games they play for the next contract period.  

Guest #1Stunner
20 minutes ago, Spazdog said:

I'm not just talking about BSU.  I am talking about the conference as a whole.  I don't care about BYU's team, whatsoever.  But, they have opted to exploit the teams within our conference for their gain. BSU along with the other teams within our conference are getting played.  If they don't want to be in our conference and it's all about the money, then BYU needs to open their checkbook (I'm not talking about pocket change) and pay BSU and the other MW teams for each of the games they play for the next contract period.  

How did you come to the faulty conclusion that BYU and Boise negotiating with each other, and mutually agreeing to schedule each other in a football game, somehow amounts to BYU "exploiting" or victimizing Boise?  You really think BYU has that much power over Boise??  Why?

You need to drop the victim analysis.   

These are simply two schools that wanted to schedule each other.  It brings a lot of money in for BOTH schools---not just BYU.  It's a fun game for fans.  ESPN loves it.

And both sides are fully aware of the other (BYU is an Indy, Boise in the MWC).

I realize that BYU is the most popular, most discussed, most watched, most tweeted, most exciting, and most followed school in the MWC.   But, it is probably not going to rejoin anytime soon---Wyoming said no.   So, because of Wyoming's stance, the MWC schools will need to schedule BYU OOC, and frequently on MWC rivalry weekend.

9 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I realize that BYU is the most popular, most discussed, most watched, most tweeted, most exciting, and most followed school in the MWC.   But, it is probably not going to rejoin anytime soon---Wyoming said no.   So, because of Wyoming's stance, the MWC schools will need to schedule BYU OOC, and frequently on MWC rivalry weekend.

FWIW... I am not victimizing any team.  But, you hit the nail on the head.  BYU, using your own words, is acting as if they are a member of the conference, reaping benefits and yet brings nothing to the conference as a group.  Nothing.  My point, belabored as it may, if BYU wants to play MWC teams annually, over a long term, then join the conference.  Otherwise, BYU should schedule other teams from other conferences.    

14 minutes ago, Spazdog said:

FWIW... I am not victimizing any team.  But, you hit the nail on the head.  BYU, using your own words, is acting as if they are a member of the conference, reaping benefits and yet brings nothing to the conference as a group.  Nothing.  My point, belabored as it may, if BYU wants to play MWC teams annually, over a long term, then join the conference.  Otherwise, BYU should schedule other teams from other conferences.    

Byu is not acting like they are a member of the mw. Byu wants to play certain teams that reside in the mw and apparently they want to play Byu also. The mw is not a victim here, just stupid AD’s. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

Guest #1Stunner
21 minutes ago, Spazdog said:

No offense, but I think you might be dealing with a raging BYU Boner (its happened to a lot of us, including almost every USU fan).

I fail to see your point.  How is BYU scheduling Boise and USU in football somehow "BYU acting like it is a member of the MWC"?   

BYU also has games against the PAC12, SEC, Big Ten....does that mean BYU is "acting like a member of those conferences", and unfairly "reaping benefits" that belong to their conference members?  Simply because it scheduled some football games?

I guess you are similarly upset that Notre Dame has annual games scheduled against USC and Stanford.  Don't USC and Stanford realize they are being victimized by Notre Dame!?!

Give it a rest.  It's a 4 hour football game, once a year.  Any school can schedule whoever they want.  Just enjoy the game.

A sold out stadium with interested fans is a lot more fun than an empty one