bsu_alum9

Boise State Hoops Recruiting

On 4/6/2020 at 8:51 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

That's what we all expected. And it's just another source recognizing what Boise has coming in this coming season.

They also apparently have a silent commit that will be revealed in the next couple days. A 6'10" JC big. That was a big area of need for Boise. They needed a backup down low.

Austin Bolt just became the first person in Idaho to ever win the Gatorade State POTY in both football and basketball. Do you think there is any chance he eventually plays with the basketball team? Ricky Hill, Frank Robinson, and Jeb Putzier have done it in the past. I would assume if it did happen it would be down the road a bit. I watched him play a couple times this year and I'm not sure how his skill set would transfer directly to D-1. But I could see him being a Rob Heyer type. One of those a bit undersized but do everything dirt devil guys. He's a winner and a leader and that always helps.

https://www.idahopress.com/blueturfsports/basketball/boise-state-basketball-lands-commitment-from-intriguing-6-10-juco-center-lukas-milner/article_9c3b9973-7e37-559e-8f8d-bf715715b240.html

Boise lands a JC big. 6'10" 215 pound Lukas Milner. He looks like a guy who is just developing. Didn't start basketball until high school and came off the bench for the B team. Barely played as a FR in JC, but grew 3 inches last year and ended up being 1st team all conference. He led the country in FG% and is just filling into his body. He runs a 5 minute mile and seems to be pretty athletic. Averaged almost 2 bpg. He could still be growing.

• Cheers 1

On 4/6/2020 at 4:02 PM, kingpotato said:

I was just getting ready to post that. I'm trying to think if Boise has ever signed a 1st Team AA. Anyone know the answer to that? 

Looks solid just watched some videos on him. Reminds me of an RJ Williams who can shoot much better from mid range and out a bit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jewelz4562000 said:

Looks solid just watched some videos on him. Reminds me of an RJ Williams who can shoot much better from mid range and out a bit.

I thought so too. He'll be a 4 in Leon's system. I think he could even spell a few minutes at the 5 if they were in a pinch. Seems to have a good inside presence. 

Lukas Milner reminds me of a longer Matt Nelson. Has a ton of variety in his post moves and finishes equally well with both hands. He could really be a sleeper. I think between he and Armus they have two guys who can score with their back to the basket. RJ did that well last year, but they were giving up a lot defensively. Both of this years guys should be able to hold up defensively.

13 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Lukas Milner reminds me of a longer Matt Nelson. Has a ton of variety in his post moves and finishes equally well with both hands. He could really be a sleeper. I think between he and Armus they have two guys who can score with their back to the basket. RJ did that well last year, but they were giving up a lot defensively. Both of this years guys should be able to hold up defensively.

Reminds me of Ryan Watkins...

Some finesse to go with the power game that Armus has.  Really excited to watch this team next year.

11 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Nelson like would be a great surprise.  Hard to see it based off stats but being newer to the game and athletic could happen. I'll have to wait and see but optimistic for his athleticism with size.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jewelz4562000 said:

Nelson like would be a great surprise.  Hard to see it based off stats but being newer to the game and athletic could happen. I'll have to wait and see but optimistic for his athleticism with size.

It is optimistic. Reality is, that the team really just needs a guy who can give 10-15 quality minutes. He seems like he should be able to give that. Anything more is gravy. 

Another snippet about next years' team, this time coming from Jessup.

https://www.idahopress.com/blueturfsports/basketball/despite-record-setting-career-boise-states-justinian-jessup-leaves-with-one-big-regret/article_cf76583d-ddf3-524c-a910-c7c7f6a431b4.html

That's a pretty bold statement when the best player on this years team says that he probably wouldn't come back if given the chance next year because of what they are putting on the floor.

"Asked if he would have considered coming back for another year if given the chance, Jessup laughed.

'I don’t know to be honest,” Jessup said. 'I hadn’t really thought about it because I knew there was no chance it would happen. And they don’t really need me next year anyway, so probably not.'”

• Like 1

So...who’s going to get minutes next year?

Combo Guards: Shaver and Dennis

Shooting Wing: Doutrive and Rice

Scoring Wing: Alston

Slashing Wings: Akot, Kigab, and Naje Smith

Center: Armus and Milner

Redshirts for 6’10 Burke Smith and 6’8 Kasean Pryor? 

27 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

So...who’s going to get minutes next year?

Combo Guards: Shaver and Dennis

Shooting Wing: Doutrive and Rice

Scoring Wing: Alston

Slashing Wings: Akot, Kigab, and Naje Smith

Center: Armus and Milner

Redshirts for 6’10 Burke Smith and 6’8 Kasean Pryor? 

I actually see Dennis and Rice getting pretty limited minutes. They have a lot of versatility with the new guys. Doutrive can play point and Akot did some of that at Arizona also. Leon has never really played that deep of a bench. I'm guessing that will be the 8 man rotation with Dennis and Rice spelling some minutes sparingly. I would imagine both will play less minutes than they did last year, unless they make significant improvements. Agreed that the FR will RS.