Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jalapeno

Air Force @ Colorado

Boy what a win over the Huskers and it's time to focus on Air Force now (game starts at 11 AM local time and it's a few hours away from 11 AM here as of this typing).

Before this season, I was nervous about the Air Force game coming off the Nebraska game.  The Falcons were off this weekend so they will be well rested for this one plus they didn't show much against Colgate in their opener.  CU's players obviously had a wicked winter/summer conditioning and it showed against the Huskers but those servicemen from those military schools are well conditioned as well so the altitude will not be as big of a factor in this one since the Air Force is at higher elevation than Boulder so this is going to be a hard fought game IMO.

The Buffs are still struggling a bit with containing the edge and that is something the Buffs are going to have to work on this week.  On a positive note, Mel Tucker had to prepare for those Georgia Tech games against that Paul Johnson option offense so Tucker probably knows a thing or two on how to defend the option.  On offense, I think CU is going to try to run the ball down their throats and they Falcons have a legit NFL prospect at DE (he wears #94).

CU on paper should crush Air Force but I think this is going to be another hard fought game at Folsom Field where the Buffs pull away late or win at the end of the game.  Hope the Buffs have some gas left in the gas tank when they travel to Arizona State and 100+ degree weather at kick off time next week.

25 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Congrats on beating the Huskers, that was a strong way to close that game out.

When was the last time you guys played AFA? Been a while right? And was kind of ugly iirc?

1974 which was the year my parents were married.  The series was stopped due to the ugly behavior of CU students during the Vietnam War era.

17 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

I wish this game wasn't on the Pac 12 Network.  

I was surprised that ESPN didn't pick this game up.  

15 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Plenty of seats available if you show up wearing red.

D9F63FA2-1BBE-40D2-8A4D-A89CE3BB1EEC.jpeg

Looking forward to a black and gold invasion of Ft. Collins next year...don't forget those thank you cards after the game for helping out with those stadium bond payments.

1 minute ago, Jalapeno said:

1974 which was the year my parents were married.  The series was stopped due to the ugly behavior of CU students during the Vietnam War era.

I was surprised that ESPN didn't pick this game up.  

Looking forward to a black and gold invasion of Ft. Collins next year...don't forget those thank you cards after the game for helping out with those stadium bond payments.

I’m selling my New Belgium Porch passes/tickets for $500 each next year if you’re interested.

2 minutes ago, KingBronco said:

Great comeback for CU against Nebraska....but it is also looking like Nebraska was overrated this year coming off a 4-8 season. If AFA is clicking offensively this game will be close. Playing the Service Academies is usually a mofo.

Nebraska is a young team and that showed in the second half.  Not something you can say about Air Force's players in this case.

I expected CU to beat both CSU & Nebraska and I also expected AFA to be CU's toughest OOC game.  On a positive note, Mel Tucker coached against those Paul Johnson coached Georgia Tech teams as the Georgia DC before coming to Boulder.  He should have CU's players ready for this one.

1 minute ago, Swoll Cracker said:

I’m selling my New Belgium Porch passes/tickets for $500 each next year if you’re interested.

You would have a much easier time selling that to Husker fans if Nebraska was coming to town.

13 Oct 73 near the end of the Vietnam War and it was ugly with CU fans throwing beer bottles and more. This will be an interesting matchup between these two teams not from the historical perspective and the stupid fans that were there at that time ( and  are geriatrics like me right now, I was a freshman at AFA in the fall of 73) but between an Air Force team that I think can run on CU vs how well Air Force can defend the pass. Here is a good read and historical perspective of that. Of time and the Air Force CU game  https://gazette.com/news/david-ramsey-give-peace-a-chance-as-air-force-football/article_6b6b4a9c-cf69-11e9-a1b7-0370f27db671.html

..GO FALCONS..

I believe CU has a large Air Force ROTC or something like that and they will be hammering the message across to the students to be respectful to AFA cadets plus Nebraska probably drained some energy out of the CU students & fans.

Are they bringing that flying falcon to Folsom Field?  Would love to see a B-52 aka BUFF flyover at Folsom Field too.

41 minutes ago, Pokez said:

To their credit, they do that to everyone....

Image result for nebraska at notre dame

Image result for nebraska crowd at notre dame picture 2000

At Notre Dame in 2000

All that red in Folsom and fat L to show for it.

I was at that Notre Dame game - Nebraska fans were estimated at 35000 out of the 75000 total.  The number of Red or Black pickups in South Bend that day was amazing.

21 hours ago, ltcpilot said:

13 Oct 73 near the end of the Vietnam War and it was ugly with CU fans throwing beer bottles and more. This will be an interesting matchup between these two teams not from the historical perspective and the stupid fans that were there at that time ( and  are geriatrics like me right now, I was a freshman at AFA in the fall of 73) but between an Air Force team that I think can run on CU vs how well Air Force can defend the pass. Here is a good read and historical perspective of that. Of time and the Air Force CU game  https://gazette.com/news/david-ramsey-give-peace-a-chance-as-air-force-football/article_6b6b4a9c-cf69-11e9-a1b7-0370f27db671.html

https://gazette.com/news/david-ramsey-give-peace-a-chance-as-air-force-football/article_6b6b4a9c-cf69-11e9-a1b7-0370f27db671.html

Linked the article if anyone had a hard time accessing the article.  That same article was linked on AllBuffs and it ticked off a lot of Buff fans on what happened.  I don't think that behavior would be tolerated by the CU fanbase today.  AFA & CU has played quite a bit in basketball over the years without incident so there's some hope.

Would have been nice if you linked this one too: https://gazette.com/sports/cu-chancellor-says-political-climate-on-campus-has-changed-since/article_1396f1cc-95fd-11e9-89fc-8fd34e30ffbc.html

I mentioned the ROTC program at CU earlier (if I did).  There has been home games where those ROTC members plus members of the military has been honored.  Those ROTC members will probably be doing videos to highlight what they do and ask for civility just like the CU AD asking for civility during last weekend's game against Nebraska.  I would think after two rivalry games against CSU & Nebraska that the CU fanbase will be a little slow getting going that day plus the 11:00 am start time.  The AFA-CU game is nearing a sellout as well.

And speaking of that chancellor, he has been at CU for at least 40 years himself so he got good authority on the pulse of the campus.

18 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

I believe CU has a large Air Force ROTC or something like that and they will be hammering the message across to the students to be respectful to AFA cadets plus Nebraska probably drained some energy out of the CU students & fans.

Are they bringing that flying falcon to Folsom Field?  Would love to see a B-52 aka BUFF flyover at Folsom Field too.

Do you know the origin of the BUFF nickname?  If not, hint it isn't buffalo and there is a reason it is all caps.

That written a B-52 flyover would be sweet.

16 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Do you know the origin of the BUFF nickname?  If not, hint it isn't buffalo and there is a reason it is all caps.

That written a B-52 flyover would be sweet.

Yep I'd count Wikipedia as one of my online friends.  "Big Ugly Flying +++++er" is what you were trying to say?