Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tulsa Guy

Sports Media Watch College Football TV Ratings, Week 1

All data as published by Sports Media Watch (SMW).  Many games are not reported by SMW, primarily ESPNU and CBSSN games.

Mountain West Conference Home/Neutral Site Games:

8/20:  Colorado State/Colorado (Denver), ESPN, 1.28M

Mountain West Conference  Away Games:

8/31:  Fresno State @Southern Cal, ESPN, 1.65M

8/31:  Boise State @Florida State, ESPNews, 1.19M  (Hurricane forced game to ESPNews. The 1.19M TV viewership must be regarded as remarkably strong given the game was forced to ESPNews.  TV viewership would have been very, very higher if the game had been kept on ESPN. Second game in a row where weather disrupted a BSU game.  Last year is was Boston College in the First Responder Bowl.)

American Athletic Conference Home Games:

8/31:  Ole Miss @Memphis, ABC, 1.88M

8/30:  Wisconsin @USF, ESPN, 1.8M

8/29:  UCLA @Cincinnati, ESPN, 1.63M

American Athletic Conference Away Games:

9/1: Houston @Oklahoma, ABC, 5.44M

8/30:  Tulsa @Michigan State, FS1, 939K

Brigham Young University:

8/29:  Utah @BYU, ESPN, 1.6M

2 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

All data as published by Sports Media Watch (SMW).  Many games are not reported by SMW, primarily ESPNU and CBSSN games.

Mountain West Conference Home/Neutral Site Games:

8/20:  Colorado State/Colorado (Denver), ESPN, 1.28M

Mountain West Conference  Away Games:

8/31:  Fresno State @Southern Cal, ESPN, 1.65M

8/31:  Boise State @Florida State, ESPNews, 1.19M  (Hurricane forced game to ESPNews. The 1.19M TV viewership must be regarded as remarkably strong given the game was forced to ESPNews.  TV viewership would have been very, very higher if the game had been kept on ESPN. Second game in a row where weather disrupted a BSU game.  Last year is was Boston College in the First Responder Bowl.)

American Athletic Conference Home Games:

8/31:  Ole Miss @Memphis, ABC, 1.88M

8/30:  Wisconsin @USF, ESPN, 1.8M

8/29:  UCLA @Cincinnati, ESPN, 1.63M

American Athletic Conference Away Games:

9/1: Houston @Oklahoma, ABC, 5.44M

8/30:  Tulsa @Michigan State, FS1, 939K

Brigham Young University:

8/29:  Utah @BYU, ESPN, 1.6M

Good info. Proves fans  were watching the games. Not because of the opponents,but their own home teams. 

I've always been curious as to how these numbers are calculated.  Is it just a hit number where it counts if someone tunes in to check the score for a few seconds, or is there some arbitrary period of time where the viewer must remain for it to count toward the total?  Also, is there a metric that tracks the number of viewers at the beginning of an event and calculates the viewership trend as the event progresses?

Sorry for the nerdiness...I think these types of statistics are more meaningful than just a number of fly-by viewership hits for the sake of numbers...

The broadcasters dont really care about the total number.  They are more interested in the demographic and geographic breakdowns, which are generally not reported upon.

And I can pretty much guarantee people werent watching Wisky/USF for the home team.  Those cheeseheads are nothing if not dedicated.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 hours ago, RSF said:

The broadcasters dont really care about the total number.  They are more interested in the demographic and geographic breakdowns, which are generally not reported upon.

I've said the same think here in the past.

Additionally the dynamic ad model used for streaming such as ESPN+ or in the new ATSC 3.0 OTA standard will put more emphasis on the value of the demographics not just the quantity of eyes.

But AAC fans and many others currently focus only on the total numbers.

2 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

I've said the same think here in the past.

Additionally the dynamic ad model used for streaming such as ESPN+ or in the new ATSC 3.0 OTA standard will put more emphasis on the value of the demographics not just the quantity of eyes.

But AAC fans and many others currently focus only on the total numbers.

To their credit, bigger total numbers generally statistically point to bigger pools of quality demographics.  If 100 people watch an Idaho Vandals game (a stretch, I know!) and 5 million people watch Boise State (conservative estimate!) there should be more total 25-54 year-old adults with high Household Income, even if there's a higher proportion of the same among the Vandal viewers.

11 hours ago, PokeTransplant said:

I've always been curious as to how these numbers are calculated.  Is it just a hit number where it counts if someone tunes in to check the score for a few seconds, or is there some arbitrary period of time where the viewer must remain for it to count toward the total?  Also, is there a metric that tracks the number of viewers at the beginning of an event and calculates the viewership trend as the event progresses?

Sorry for the nerdiness...I think these types of statistics are more meaningful than just a number of fly-by viewership hits for the sake of numbers...

If I remember correctly, the numbers are taken at 15 minute intervals and then averaged.  So what you see, is the "average" number viewing over the entire broadcast.  

9 hours ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

If I remember correctly, the numbers are taken at 15 minute intervals and then averaged.  So what you see, is the "average" number viewing over the entire broadcast.  

So, if you're a viewer like me, who hates commercials and flips between games, if I happen to be in that 15 minute window every time I change to a new game it looks like I'm watching all the games.