Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Orange

White privilege in a few paragraphs

10 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

1. It was a non-life-threatening poop bomb.

2. His convictions were from 10+ years ago and none were violent.

Orange has a point for once. If this dude was black, he'd have a two-figure sentence.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

In a lot of places, yeah.  Not in Portland.

Portland's one of the most racist cities in the country. Has been for 150 years. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Just now, smltwnrckr said:

Portland's one of the most racist cities in the country. Has been for 150 years. 

How could that be? They didn't even let anyone in to be racist to for 100 of those years!

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

24 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Lol, yeah, just what we need, more prisoners because they had non violent drug charges a decade ago.

Moar Prisons! @thelawlorfaithful

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

35 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Lol, yeah, just what we need, more prisoners because they had non violent drug charges a decade ago.

Is that what my post advocated for?

Call me crazy, but if you have meth, an illegal firearm, and you make bombs, you should -- at minimum -- not be parenting.

26 minutes ago, Orange said:

Call me crazy, but if you have meth, an illegal firearm, and you make bombs, you should -- at minimum -- not be parenting.

Call me crazy but if you repay your debt to society as determined by the legal system you should not be punished afterwards.  You sound like the 70 year old neighbors I have.

Deputy District Attorney Nicole Jergovic said her office took into account that Stout had no history of convictions of violent acts against people; that a prior judge who reviewed the case was in favor of probation; and that Stout has behaved well since his arrest and release from jail four months ago.

With the exception of a 2015 conviction for attempting to elude police, his most recent conviction was more than a decade old.

Defense attorney Peyton Lee said Stout is motivated to stay on the right track because of his 11-year-old daughter, who lives with him. Stout also said he was ultimately able to find a new job — fixing RVs. He said he starts Wednesday.

As part of Stout’s sentence, he must follow all orders from his probation officer — including completing drug treatment, refraining from handling any explosive devices or fireworks and staying away from his former friend.

Based on the details, I wouldn't support putting him in jail either. It would create more problems than it solves.  Clearly, the guy has problems - but locking him up isn't the answer.  Regardless of his skin color.

("...since his arrest and release from jail four months ago."   Ugh.) 

Aztec-Nation-Banner2010-03.gif

On 9/5/2019 at 10:35 AM, Orange said:

Okay - you're crazy.

Now that we've got that out of the way... For better or worse, we don't get to decide who can be a parent until they really screw up or damage their children.  You're required to have a license to drive, but anyone can be a parent.

Aztec-Nation-Banner2010-03.gif

12 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Thank God we don't have any Oregon schools in our conference. Piss bombs are bad enough, can't imagine poop bombs.

I'm willing to bet there is a mad scientist Wyoming fan in his garage as we speak trying to figure out a way to scale this down so it will be effective in a stadium environment.

21 hours ago, BYUcougfan said:

When all you have is a hammer...

A ban hammer :banhammer:

@happycamper thanks for the emoticon btw. Sorry it took so long to get it uploaded 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

How about in a tweet?