Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crixus

Deadly Boat Fire Kills 25 Off SoCal Coast

25 people are confirmed dead and 9 others are missing after a boat burned at sea off the Southern California coast.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/coast-guard-responding-more-30-130828402.html

52493353aa803b5457f86ffc8687a198

7 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

What common sense boat laws could have been implanted to prevent this? 

7 hours ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Time to ban boats!

1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

Already more boat deaths in 2019 than assault rifle deaths.  Ban them!

Really guys?  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Of course. Clearly it was the boat's fault. It was possessed and wanted to sink. Just like the Titanic. No operator error whatsoever. Gotta take the outrage out somewhere on an inanimate object...might as well be the boat. 

Comparing the deaths from a mass shooting, which is an intentional act, to that of a boating accident is ridiculous and a terrible look.  Be better. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

Comparing the deaths from a mass shooting, which is an intentional act, to that of a boating accident is ridiculous and a terrible look.  Be better. 

Blaming the gun in a mass shooting is the same type of thing as blaming the boat in a mass capsizing. 

I'm not being serious in my comments, just sarcastic, but sarcasm doesn't travel well over typed words. 

1 minute ago, pokerider said:

damn, you just don't expect this kind of thing to happen on a boat like that.   geez

It sounds like the dive party was pretty much trapped in the cabin with only one exit blocked by the fire. What a horrible way to die. It makes you wonder why the crew which apparently were in different quarters didn’t have fire extinguishers to try and put the initial fire out. The investigation should reveal more answers. 

I expect the passengers died from smoke inhalation. 

The fire was pretty much unstoppable by the time the crew was aware of it. They were on the upper most part of the boat. The galley was the choke point for getting out. If the fire started there. Not much chance. Investigation will make recommendations to prevent this same thing happening again.

One of the Final Five..........

9 hours ago, mugtang said:

Really guys?  

I wasn't making political hay out of it. All I was saying was, sometimes it's great to be on a dive boat. Sometimes it isn't, as evidenced by this situation.

44 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I wasn't making political hay out of it. All I was saying was, sometimes it's great to be on a dive boat. Sometimes it isn't, as evidenced by this situation.

I know.  I quoted you on accident.  Then deleted it. Sorry 

You can take my commercial boat without an emergency hatch from my cold dead hands. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

12 hours ago, mugtang said:

Really guys?  

You surprised? 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

The Coast Guard called off their search for the missing nine, so that brings the total to 34 victims. You're on a dive vacation and this happens, what an awful way to go out. :(

15 hours ago, mysfit said:

I expect the passengers died from smoke inhalation. 

The fire was pretty much unstoppable by the time the crew was aware of it. They were on the upper most part of the boat. The galley was the choke point for getting out. If the fire started there. Not much chance. Investigation will make recommendations to prevent this same thing happening again.

Breaking news and totally unfounded. Did you listen to that weird mayday call. Nothing made sense.Sad tragedy!

16 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

nah, you just liked every post that made political hay.  It's what you mealy-mouthed cowards do.