Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Satellite Tech Used in Iran Launch Photos

Amateur sat watchers figured out which satellite actually took the pictures of the blown up Iranian rocket in a most surely classified photo that Trump casually tweeted I suppose to troll?  Trump nonsense aside, backyard astronomers then calculated the size of the telescope that would be required to produce a pic at that resolution from that sat's orbit. Turns out it's a 2.4 meter mirror, same as Hubble's.  The gubmint literally has a hubble telescope pointed at the earth. Awesome.

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/02/756673481/amateurs-identify-u-s-spy-satellite-behind-president-trumps-tweet

15 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Amateur sat watchers figured out which satellite actually took the pictures of the blown up Iranian rocket in a most surely classified photo that Trump casually tweeted I suppose to troll?  Trump nonsense aside, backyard astronomers then calculated the size of the telescope that would be required to produce a pic at that resolution from that sat's orbit. Turns out it's a 2.4 meter mirror, same as Hubble's.  The gubmint literally has a hubble telescope pointed at the earth. Awesome.

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/02/756673481/amateurs-identify-u-s-spy-satellite-behind-president-trumps-tweet

Big whoop. The New England Patriots have been doing this shit for years. 

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Breaking News from 1968: 

US Has High Resolution Cameras Orbiting Earth!

I bet you've been a total asshole since 1968 as well.

It was not entirely clear where the president's photo came from. Panda believes it was most likely taken by a classified U.S. satellite. But Melissa Hanham, deputy director of the Open Nuclear Network at the One Earth Foundation, believes that the resolution is so high, it may be beyond the physical limits at which satellites can operate. "The atmosphere is thick enough that after somewhere around 11 to 9 centimeters, things get wonky," she says.

That could mean it was taken by a drone or spy plane, though such a vehicle would be violating Iranian airspace. Hanham also says that the European company Airbus has been experimenting with drones that fly so high, they are technically outside the atmosphere and thus operating outside national boundaries. But she says she doesn't know whether the U.S. has such a system.

I think UAV's are much scarier than satellites.

It doesn't matter how good the telescope is, a satellite has limits because it is 300-1000 miles from earth.  UAV's can operate 5-20 miles above the surface and get much better resolution images.

11 hours ago, BYUcougfan said:

Well c'mon.  You tried to make it seem like Trump gave up some huge State secret.

"Trump nonsense aside...".  The title of the post is also "satellite tech". 

3 hours ago, CV147 said:

I think most people assumed that the government had high resolution satellite imaging.

I mean, this came out in 1998:

Sure, of course we all know or assumed there's some crazy stuff out there and we've seen sat images before.  I just though it was pretty interesting that these spy sats are basically hubble telescopes.  Hubble telescopes pointed at the ground! That's just a wild concept to me but I admit I'm a nerd and am into space, astronomy and telescopes and I enjoy sharing views through my own telescope and getting people interested in this stuff with me.

space telescope GIF   

3 hours ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

They've been able to read the same newspaper you are on your deck, as you're doing it...for quite some time now. 

The 2.4 meter mirror of the hubble is estimated to be able to resolve to approx. 10cm.  To resolve the headline on a newspaper you'd probably need a 10+meter mirror.  4x bigger than the hubble. Crazy.