Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingpotato

1st week MW impressions (Long)

12 hours ago, TrueAg said:

Loved the summaries KP! You should make this a weekly post. I really could not agree with you more on any of the games or thoughts moving forward. All-in-all a great opener for the league with a couple of close calls that could have made it historic.

It's a time issue. I'd say the bulk of my time on this board is spent on minute or two increments. Stop lights, shetter, waiting rooms, lines, ya know, just killin' time. But, if I have time sometimes I'll buck the trend and post MW sports content. 

12 minutes ago, battle.borne said:

I dig your analysis. A  few disagreements but not worth sperging out over.

With Nevada playing on the road in Autzen we will find out real quickly if they can keep their wits about them in a hostile environment.  While it's true Nevada was plus 5 against Purdue and needed every bit of it to eek out the win there is much to be excited about in Reno. The offense was really sluggish in the first half. If Carson can get his team in sync from the opening snap then perhaps Nevada will keep it respectable against a good Oregon team.

I expect UNR to get blown out at Oregon, but I expected that when Boise went into Autzen with a RSFR QB and was pleasantly surprised, so ya never know. I think it's gunna take a while to figure out what the Wolfpack have. I doubt we'll know after Oregon. But the schedule sets up nicely after that. An FCS team and then three of the worst defenses on their schedule. I have a feeling they will start clicking, but then they'll hit the meat of the schedule. All of their tough conference games are on the road too. 

Side note; did Taua lose weight? He looked quite a bit smaller than he did last year. It seemed like he didn't quite have the power he had last year either. What's the story there, or were my eyes just playing tricks on me. 

1 hour ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

I was impressed with the Cowboys run defense giving up just 114 yards total.  Mizzou's O-line was huge with all players over 325 lbs.  They were also experienced with 4 of 5 returning strarters from last season's squad.  Mizzou's backfield featured talented running backs in Rountree and Badie that rushed for 1200 and 600 yards last season, respectively.  Not to mention Kelly Bryant's rushing ability as a QB.  The Pokes held Rountree to 47 yards on 15 carries for an average of 2.7 per, Badie to 53 yards on 16 carries for an avearage of 3.3 per and Bryant to 20 yards on 9 carries for a 1.8 ypc average.

The Cowboys pass defense on the other hand had problems although the issue was not so much in the secondary.  Wyoming's pass rush was all but non-existant, especially in the second half.  Mizzou's experienced O-line gave up only 13 sacks last season and dominated Wyoming's undersized D-line in the passing game all night.  For the most part Kelly Bryant had all the time he wanted in the pocket and this resulted in MIzzou putting up 423 yards on 31 completions.

Mizzou's passing game almost pulled out the win but Wyoming hung on in the end.

Wyoming will have to significantly improve the defensive pass rush and offensive passing game to have a shot at the division title.  It'll be interesting to see how much these areas can improve before conference play begins.  Luckily the remaining OOC schedule should allow the team and coaches to make adjustments and learn.  I still think these two facets of the game will limit the Cowboys potential this season.  The mountain is going to be a dog fight.

I do think Chambers has the same 'it' factor that Josh Allen did.  We saw flashes of it last season in his 3.5 games as starter and it was very apparent vs Mizzou.  The kid is going to give you his all and he's clearly a leader that will find a way to win.

The run D did look good. I've always felt that a running QB would fit Bohl's style more than a pocket passer. If he stays healthy, there is reason to be excited. He is dynamic. 

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

The first-year QB play was so very impressive week 1. But the law of averages suggests that they will see their struggles this year, at least some of them at some points. 

He'll have some FR moments... heck, he had some in that game. There are a lot of weapons on both side of the ball, though. Hopefully they'll be able to make up for those.

SJSU might not be as bad as you think. We will find out a lot more this week when they play tulsa. Although tulsa's D did a reasonable job against Michigan st. so they might be improving too.

Hard to tell too much from a game against an FCS opponent. They did what they needed to do, they ran a very vanilla playbook and beat an inferior team fairly easily. NC had only 1 sustained drive and was helped out in the game several times by some questionable penalties and a fumble by the backup true frosh QB in the endzone. Their RB a transfer from WYO racked up more yards than any of us would like to see, but SJSU was getting pressure, making tackles, and doing a lot of the little things right. SJSU's QB Josh Love will likely surprise a couple teams and for that reason we might upset some other schools. 

The team came out in the 2nd half acting asleep and like they already won, if they play like that against any other school and they will lose. Perhaps this is a good thing as it is a reminder to a team that doesn't know how to win that they can't do that. We still can't run the ball and our D will give up yards. For that reason we will be in the bottom of the west but the team will be improved and will put together a few wins.

Run D wasn't bad but Purdue dominated the Pack in the 1st 1/2.  Our RS Fr QB didn't play his Sr year in H.S. so this was his 1st game in 2 years.  He said the 1st 1/4 the game was 2 fast, he couldn't read his keys.  Each 1/4 got better & by the 4th he said everything was in slow motion & his play seemed to show it.  Our almost entirely new DBs were lost in the 1st 1/2.  Not sure if it was coaching adjustments or they caught up to the speed of the game but they were much better & tighter in the 2nd 1/2.  If we can beat the 24 pt spread against Ore I'll be happy & we do have tough road games but if (big if) we continue to improve we should be o.k.  I was predicting 7-5 & for now I'll stick with that.      

21 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Obviously, it was a phenomenal opening weekend. Very close to being an epic weekend. People have a tendency to over-react about one game so I'm looking at how the teams played and what off-season concerns were addressed or not addressed. 

Boise - Obviously, going on the road to beat a blue blood is big. But the way they did it was impressive. Florida State was completely dominated physically, which rarely happens when G5s play P5s. Boise consistently put together long drives. They had 621 yards on what was supposed to be a good defense and they never had a play longer than 38 yards. They ran the ball with consistency. Over 200 yards with their longest run only being 24 yards. Two different RBs had over 100 yards from scrimmage. RB concern, answered. Hurricane Hank not only had a very big game on the road throwing for 400+ yards, but more than anything showed tremendous toughness and moxie. He was getting lit up in the first half and never got rattled. Got way behind and never flinched. QB concern, answered. Boise fans repeatedly said that this WR group was a deep and talented. Nine different players caught balls. This should be the MW best group of WRs. Defensively this was supposed to be a stout group and didn't look like it at first. But it was missed tackles, bad angles, blown coverage, and just some flat out raw speed that FSU had. But FSU was never able to sustain drives. They never crossed midfield in the 2nd half. Boise had 11 TFL (three sacks) on 53 total plays by FSU. That means more than once out of every five plays went backwards for the noles. Clean some things up and this could be a dominant group. Defensive concern, inconclusive.

UNR - Another great, great win at home. This is gunna sound a lot like the Wyoming write up. A win is a win, but I'm not completely on the Reno bandwagon. Plus five in TO and they needed every single last one of them to win this game. They were outgained, gave up over 500 yards to a team that lost almost the entire offense from last year, and they struggled to convert on 3rd down. Everyone seems bullish on the new QB, I'm in a holding pattern on that, as well. He showed some moxie and made some really timely plays so that is good. He also took care of the ball. Reno's system is QB friendly so any QB should have decent numbers there. But a 5.8 ypa number is really low. That'll need to improve. Run D looked good. I still think they'll finish outside of the top-3 in the West. 

Your take is somewhat humorous. BSU beat a "Blue Blood"...."The way they did it"...."Completely dominated", while Nevada has a QB friendly system, against a "team that lost almost their entire offense"....5.8 ypa is really low. :blink:

FSU lost half of their returning offensive starters (5), but one was the QB.....Purdue lost (7), but have a three year starter at QB and one of the top WR's. FSU lost 6 on defense, while Purdue lost 2.Both BSU and Nevada were down 31 - 14/13 and came back to dominate the second half, both doing so with freshman QB's. FSU is ranked 58 while Purdue is ranked 64 right now. The two games were very similar, so it's odd that your outlook on the BSU game was completely different than the Nevada game. 

17 minutes ago, Bob said:

Love is tough. He got the literal shit beat out of him last year at Wyoming and stayed in the game. He kept getting up

He's a super tough kid, and I'm hoping he succeeds this year. But if the O-Line plays as bad this year as the last two, he'll probably play fewer than 8 games. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

5 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Your take is somewhat humorous. BSU beat a "Blue Blood"...."The way they did it"...."Completely dominated", while Nevada has a QB friendly system, against a "team that lost almost their entire offense"....5.8 ypa is really low:blink:

FSU lost half of their returning offensive starters (5), but one was the QB.....Purdue lost (7), but have a three year starter at QB and one of the top WR's. FSU lost 6 on defense, while Purdue lost 2.Both BSU and Nevada were down 31 - 14/13 and came back to dominate the second half, both doing so with freshman QB's. FSU is ranked 58 while Purdue is ranked 64 right now. The two games were very similar, so it's odd that your outlook on the BSU game was completely different than the Nevada game. 

What part is not accurate? All of those are true.

I don't know where you are getting your numbers from, but FSU returned eight starters on both sides of the ball. As far as "The two games were very similar, so it's odd that your outlook on the BSU game was completely different than the Nevada game." they weren't similar, like, at all. Not anywhere close to similar. UNR was outgained by over 100 yards and was plus 5 in TO. Boise outgained FSU by 200 yards and lost the TO battle. Are your eyeballs completely and totally broken?

2 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Fresno had a below average pass rush. 1.71 per game. That ranked 8th in the MW and 94th nationally. I expect the pass defense to be solid. Maybe the best in the conference. But I expect a significant jump in points allowed as UNR is the only team that doesn't return a starting QB on their schedule and they play them 2nd to the last game. So he'll have experience by then. 

Minnesota is a huge game. Winnable home game and the Gophers looked gawd awful against South Dakota State. USC is a different animal with the talent they bring. This game will give us a much better idea of where Fresno is this year.

I agree that the pass rush wasn't amazing, but that was also partially the result of scheme, which was to keep everything in front and tackle well. FS got four sacks against USC. 

7 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I don't know where you are getting your numbers from, but FSU returned eight starters on both sides of the ball. As far as "The two games were very similar, so it's odd that your outlook on the BSU game was completely different than the Nevada game." they weren't similar, like, at all. Not anywhere close to similar. UNR was outgained by over 100 yards and was plus 5 in TO. Boise outgained FSU by 200 yards and lost the TO battle. Are your eyeballs completely and totally broken?

Not to mention, FSU truly has better athletes than Purdue.  Plus, UNR was at home.  They were completely different games.

down in a hole.jpg

5 minutes ago, JADogs05 said:

I agree that the pass rush wasn't amazing, but that was also partially the result of scheme, which was to keep everything in front and tackle well. FS got four sacks against USC. 

The box score shows one sack and only two other TFL. 

Just now, kingpotato said:

Here are my thoughts;

I’ll be surprised if either FSU or Purdue win 6 games this season.  Purdue’s schedule is tough. 

I think FSU’s run defense was horrendous — obviously Boise has a strong OL but that was shocking how bad it is... 

I also would’ve shocked if FSU fires Taggart before year 2 is over. That team looked disheveled. 

In Purdue’s case, that’s why you don’t see Big10 teams travel to the west coast often. Winning on the road is hard especially week 1. 

We’ll know more in the next two weeks. Nevada’s schedule takes a big step forward this week and then levels out. 

6 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Here are my thoughts;

I’ll be surprised if either FSU or Purdue win 6 games this season.  Purdue’s schedule is tough. 

I think FSU’s run defense was horrendous — obviously Boise has a strong OL but that was shocking how bad it is... 

I also would’ve shocked if FSU fires Taggart before year 2 is over. That team looked disheveled. 

In Purdue’s case, that’s why you don’t see Big10 teams travel to the west coast often. Winning on the road is hard especially week 1. 

We’ll know more in the next two weeks. Nevada’s schedule takes a big step forward this week and then levels out. 

First. Probably true

2nd, Huh? They were 2nd in the ACC last year (behind only Clemson) in yards per carry defense and return eight starters on that side of the ball. That is a completely baseless statement. 

3rd. Quite possibly

4th. G5s have to do it all the time. Deck stacked.

5th. I addressed this in another post. I think it's gunna take a bit to see what UNR is. 

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Love is tough. He got the literal shit beat out of him last year at Wyoming and stayed in the game.

Even with a big brown spot on his ass? Damn, now THAT takes guts!

Boom goes the dynamite.