Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swexy

Pokes got me feeling good!

Normally I'm admittedly a negative jackass when it comes to the Pokes.  Sometimes justified, sometimes not.  But they have me feeling good!  What makes me feel even better is seeing the meltdowns happening on the various SEC and Mizzou boards and blogs.  I don't post on any of them of course, but lurking is my jam.  I swear, it NEVER fails that some big team is gonna overlook Wyoming and then we ruin their dreams.  Wyoming has a bad stigma around it.  We're just supposed to be some little stupid hick state that isn't good at anything.  When it comes to college sports, everyone expects us to be the South Central Louisiana State University Mud Dogs.  An easy win and a team not even worthy of being in FCS.  Yet the Pokes have proven multiple times that they can hang with the right coaching and recruiting if they can just sustain it.

An example?  I was a UW student in 2004 and a member of the marching band when we went to the Las Vegas Bowl.  UCLA was pretty blatant in their disrespect.  They didn't even want to attend the joint pep rally down on Freemont because they didn't want to share a stage with lowly Wyoming.  We also witnessed UCLA fans trashing Wyoming merchandise, and were yelled at multiple times by passing fans on the Strip.  Then we won the damn thing.  It sort of feels like the same thing now, only the SEC is way worse than the PAC in my opinion.  Browsing the sites, it's amazing how fast the fans turned on Mizzou.  You can tell how spoiled and entitled the SEC fans are.  So used to success and when they lose they can't take it.  I get it.  We all get emotional over sports.  But the Mizzou sports writers are acting like this is an event worse than Hurricane Dorian.  It's like, "Our season is over, it was supposed to be special."  Get over yourselves.  Wyoming ain't a terrible team like the rest of the country wants them to be.  At least not right now.

It could just be that I have an amazing wife and a child on the way, but anymore these days I don't have the negative feelings inside I once did.

8 minutes ago, Swexy said:

Normally I'm admittedly a negative jackass when it comes to the Pokes.  Sometimes justified, sometimes not.  But they have me feeling good!  What makes me feel even better is seeing the meltdowns happening on the various SEC and Mizzou boards and blogs.  I don't post on any of them of course, but lurking is my jam.  I swear, it NEVER fails that some big team is gonna overlook Wyoming and then we ruin their dreams.  Wyoming has a bad stigma around it.  We're just supposed to be some little stupid hick state that isn't good at anything.  When it comes to college sports, everyone expects us to be the South Central Louisiana State University Mud Dogs.  An easy win and a team not even worthy of being in FCS.  Yet the Pokes have proven multiple times that they can hang with the right coaching and recruiting if they can just sustain it.

An example?  I was a UW student in 2004 and a member of the marching band when we went to the Las Vegas Bowl.  UCLA was pretty blatant in their disrespect.  They didn't even want to attend the joint pep rally down on Freemont because they didn't want to share a stage with lowly Wyoming.  We also witnessed UCLA fans trashing Wyoming merchandise, and were yelled at multiple times by passing fans on the Strip.  Then we won the damn thing.  It sort of feels like the same thing now, only the SEC is way worse than the PAC in my opinion.  Browsing the sites, it's amazing how fast the fans turned on Mizzou.  You can tell how spoiled and entitled the SEC fans are.  So used to success and when they lose they can't take it.  I get it.  We all get emotional over sports.  But the Mizzou sports writers are acting like this is an event worse than Hurricane Dorian.  It's like, "Our season is over, it was supposed to be special."  Get over yourselves.  Wyoming ain't a terrible team like the rest of the country wants them to be.  At least not right now.

It could just be that I have an amazing wife and a child on the way, but anymore these days I don't have the negative feelings inside I once did.

I lurked the Mizzou board after the game too.  Then I went back to last week   A week ago they were talking about winning the SEC East, now they have turned on the coaching staff.

Hilarious.  If you are super bored check out the Florida State and Purdue boards.  Similar there.  None of these three fan bases seem comfortable with giving lowly MWC schools from hick towns much credit.    

1 hour ago, phxpoke said:

Could the Pokes return by to the glory Days of the late 90's? Why not!

20 minutes ago, (wyo)Ming the Merciless said:

When the Pokes have a pulse we are a tough out in Laramie. Strange things seem to happen when the War is full and rocking. 

Man the Pokes are fired up and rightly so. The Mountain Div. gonna be fun this year with Wyoming, Utah St. and Boise having at it.

m_85966f993371c1964e647092f6dc3afd.gif

"Bulldog Born, Bulldog Bred, Bulldog Till The Day I'm Dead"

San Diego State: Following in Fresno State's Shadow Since 1911.

Bohl is the perfect coach for Wyoming. You can expect a tough physical game when you play the Pokes. You may win because you have superior athletes, but those athletes are going to come out of the game bruised and battered. If you come into the game in Laramie thinking it’s going to be easy you are in trouble already. I suspect Mizzoo had that attitude. 

Just now, NorthWestCowboy said:

I think CSU is better than last season as well.  They might pull a game or two out their backsides.

Going to be a lot of tough football games in the conference.  Going to come down to depth and QB play in the MTN.  

I think Wyoming gets ranked in a few weeks and starts the season 5-0.

10 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Going to be a lot of tough football games in the conference.  Going to come down to depth and QB play in the MTN.  

I hope you're right.  But then the fun really begins.  The Pokes have a tough second half of the season with road trips to San Diego, Boise, Logan and Colorado Springs.  New Mexico, Nevada and CSU come to Laramie.  Wyoming could realistically lose any or all of those road games and Nevada and CSU will be tough at home.  5-0 could turn ugly depending on just how good this years team is.

I was more than a little surprised and impressed at how well we played Mizzou.  I'm staying cautiously optimistic until I see what we've really got come conference play.

8 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Its been so long since Wyoming has been in the polls, I'm not sure a 5-0 start will be enough. 

At the moment, a 5-0 start sounds like a difficult task... getting some love from the polls during that time seems even less likely.

I'm just enjoying the ride for now, come what may.

4 hours ago, easybronc said:

Laramie is a tough place to play.  We all know that.  Good luck getting another SEC team to play there.  

The last sec team to play in Laramie was ole miss (we beat them) and iirc this series was scheduled when Missouri was in the big 12. You're not wrong

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

I love that the Pokes pulled this one off but I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with all this Wyoming is all of a sudden good talk. Did anyone actually watch the game? Or just see the final score? 

To say it was an odd outcome given the play on the field would be a giant understatement. It really felt like the game result was dictated by the Tigers play, not anything the Cowboys were doing. I was rooting like hell for Wyo to somehow find a way to win but Mizzou shot themselves in the foot more times than I can count. I'm not sure Wyo can count on their opponent doing that every week. 

The good? Chambers can still run the ball. The bad? It still appears to be all he can do. 6-16 for like 90 yards passing is not going to win a whole lot of games, especially when Wyo runs into teams that will shut down the run, or put up a ton of points, or control the clock against them. 

Need to look at o line play.  It was phenomenal against sec d line.  We made mistakes, but we also owned the line during parts of the game.  Is there a better dline we will play this year???   Not sure yet

44 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

I love that the Pokes pulled this one off but I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with all this Wyoming is all of a sudden good talk. Did anyone actually watch the game? Or just see the final score? 

To say it was an odd outcome given the play on the field would be a giant understatement. It really felt like the game result was dictated by the Tigers play, not anything the Cowboys were doing. I was rooting like hell for Wyo to somehow find a way to win but Mizzou shot themselves in the foot more times than I can count. I'm not sure Wyo can count on their opponent doing that every week. 

The good? Chambers can still run the ball. The bad? It still appears to be all he can do. 6-16 for like 90 yards passing is not going to win a whole lot of games, especially when Wyo runs into teams that will shut down the run, or put up a ton of points, or control the clock against them. 

Who left some points on the board also.  If they would've taken advantage of red zone opportunities UW would've ran away with this game.

1 hour ago, carbonpoke said:

Need to look at o line play.  It was phenomenal against sec d line.  We made mistakes, but we also owned the line during parts of the game.  Is there a better dline we will play this year???   Not sure yet

Yes

5 hours ago, madeinhawaii said:

Wha??  You mail ordered both?  WTG!  Congrats.      

Shhhhh.  Keep that part under wraps.  It wasn't cheap.