Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AndroidAggie

mechanics of racism -- thoughts appreciated

"Fella who came down here and got in trouble — overstepped his bounds to a degree some folks thought," says Whitten. "And they cured him of his problems."

here we have a statement from John Whitten, a former mississippi former prosecutor, whose father was a lawyer (the main lawyer, i believe) for the defense in the ememtt till murder case.  he's commenting on the whole emmett till affair and *THIS* is how he does it.  

i have a hard time believing a man can describe the murder as a young boy being "cured of his problems" and then turn around and be a prosecutor.  these days the demographics spread is 60% black and 40ish percent white.  i find it incredibly easy to believe that John Whitten would mishandle cases involving black defendants.

am i reaching, here?  drawing way more of a conclusion from this than is warranted by logic or likelihood given human proclivities?

No, it’s safe to assume he probably didn’t approach defendants of different races with the same vigor or understanding. What he said was gross, but the cases he handled are what really matters regarding using his authority to ruin people’s lives.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

He shouldn't have been a prosecutor.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

I'm not sure what you find hard to believe given how today police are called on POC for weeding their own yards or selling water and shot in the back by police while unarmed.

One of the Final Five..........

Racism is a learned behavior. It's passed down from parents to their children. I think that's what makes it so hard to completely root it out. 60 years later this Inbred ass hat former prosecutor still harbors racist beliefs and has no problem airing them out in public. Hopefully he never had kids.

44 minutes ago, Uncle Juan said:

Racism is a learned behavior. It's passed down from parents to their children. I think that's what makes it so hard to completely root it out. 60 years later this Inbred ass hat former prosecutor still harbors racist beliefs and has no problem airing them out in public. Hopefully he never had kids.

Not only is it learned it isn't treated as ok kids time for the racism lesson,  it's treated as just the way things work. That's real tough to change.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

41 minutes ago, Uncle Juan said:

I don’t think it’s entirely learned behavior. Prejudice is ingrained everywhere at every time in every population. For a long time this was an evolutionary benefit, as populations of strangers could harbor pathogens dangerous to those not yet exposed to them. 

Which is to say nothing about this jerk. Overcoming racism and prejudice is absolutely learned behavior. And he should do better by now.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, mysfit said:

I'm not sure what you find hard to believe given how today police are called on POC for weeding their own yards or selling water and shot in the back by police while unarmed.

I stated explicitly what I found hard to believe 

8 hours ago, Uncle Juan said:

7 hours ago, happycamper said:

Not only is it learned it isn't treated as ok kids time for the racism lesson,  it's treated as just the way things work. That's real tough to change.

It isn't learned behavior there have been numerous studies showing young babies are racist.

It is an evolutionary advantage to be suspicious of people who do not look like your parents.

Stop listening to stupid leftist media created "science".

https://www.parents.com/baby/all-about-babies/science-says-everyones-a-little-bit-racist-even-babies/

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/obamas-viral-tweet-is-wrong-research-shows-babies-are-totally-racist

“Parents do not teach children to be biased,” said Kang Lee, a human development researcher at the University of Toronto.

Lee said that while a racist parent can exploit a child’s innate biases, most children will organically begin to dismiss other races soon after their birth.

kang1.png?w=200Professor Kang Lee University of Toronto

Mandela was correct in that no baby is born with inherent prejudices. But at around six months, the average infant will automatically begin to distrust anything that looks and sounds different than their parents.

On 8/30/2019 at 12:36 PM, Uncle Juan said:

image.jpeg.af2eb9651ac40323405257fb0978f517.jpeg

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:39 PM, mysfit said:

More left wing BS!

On 8/30/2019 at 11:12 AM, AndroidAggie said:

here we have a statement from John Whitten, a former mississippi former prosecutor, whose father was a lawyer (the main lawyer, i believe) for the defense in the ememtt till murder case.  he's commenting on the whole emmett till affair and *THIS* is how he does it.  

i have a hard time believing a man can describe the murder as a young boy being "cured of his problems" and then turn around and be a prosecutor.  these days the demographics spread is 60% black and 40ish percent white.  i find it incredibly easy to believe that John Whitten would mishandle cases involving black defendants.

am i reaching, here?  drawing way more of a conclusion from this than is warranted by logic or likelihood given human proclivities?

I had to go looking for the context since your OP was woefully short in that area. So here it is:

https://www.kcrw.com/news/shows/all-things-considered/npr-story/755024458

Jaynes-Diming is part of the Emmett Till Memorial Commission, which is trying to preserve sites like this. Till, a black teenager visiting from Chicago, was brutally killed in Mississippi after allegedly violating Jim Crow social norms. The killing propelled the civil rights movement, and his name is still invoked when innocent blood is shed in racial violence. But telling his story in the Mississippi Delta remains fraught.

"There was a lot of pushback not only from the white community but from the black community also," says Jaynes-Diming. "Whites and blacks came to our meetings and [said] 'Why are you all bringing this up? Why don't y'all let that die?' "

The sentiment lingers for some.

"The people in Tallahatchie County are to a great degree tired of Emmett Till," says former county prosecutor John Whitten.

He lives in Sumner, Miss., where the two men who killed Till were tried and acquitted by an all-white jury, only to confess to the killing when they sold their story to Look Magazine months later. Whitten's father was one of the defense lawyers.

John Whitten was 7 at the time and still sticks with the version of the story he learned back then.

"Fella who came down here and got in trouble — overstepped his bounds to a degree some folks thought," says Whitten. "And they cured him of his problems."

Whitten sees no reason to commemorate Till's slaying.

"I think all these folks are stirring crap up," he says. "Every day, somebody's dragging up the race card. Somebody saying we have racial disparity here. If nobody would stir that damn pile of stuff up, it wouldn't stink.

This is related to the desire by some to place a marker at the site where young Mr. Till's body was found. locals, it seems, would rather not continue to have the issue dredged up over and over. SOME locals have taken to vandalism, shooting up the sign and apparently removing it at some point.

His comment, made in a detached passive voice  should not  be unfamiliar to anyone who has been forced to confront past actions, not their own, but of loved ones or acquaintances.

Is there some level of underlying "racism" inherent in his comment? Maybe.  Does it say anything about Mr. Whitten and how he conducted himself during his career?  It absolutely does not. That's not to say he isn't an out and out racist. I don't know. I've never met the man.  The county in which he served is majority African American so I suspect  if there were significant issues in the way he conducted business, he would have been voted out if he was the DA, or his boss would not have lasted very long.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke