Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thedude15

Can the MW have a winning record vs the Big-5 (+Notre Dame) this year?

I mean to me there are only 5 absolute body bag games- Nevada @ Oregon, New Mexico @ Notre Dame, Hawaii @ Washington, Utah State @LSU, SJSU @ Arky (not that Arkansas is any good just that SJSU is terrible). Lots  of potential wins on the rest of sch.

So 19 games minus 5 losses (body bag games) and 1 win (Hawaii already beat AZ) means we would have to go 9-4 in the rest of the games. Guess we will find out soon enough if it is possible as we have 6 winnable (in my opinion) games coming up this week. Would need to go 4-2 in those games to give us a chance at an overall above .500 record for the season. 

Air Force - @Colorado 

Boise- Neutral* cite game vs Florida State

Colorado State- vs Colorado in Denver, @ Arkansas

New Mexico- @Notre Dame

Utah State- @Wake Forest, @LSU

Wyoming- vs Missouri 

Fresno- @USC, vs Minnesota 

Hawaii- vs Arizona, vs Oregon State, @Washington 

Nevada- vs Purdue, @Oregon 

San Diego State- @UCLA

SJSU- @Arkansas 

UNLV- @Northwestern, @Vanderbilt 

I believe that we will win, I believe that we will win, I believe that we will win!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

6-5 after two weeks. 

7-6 after Air Force over Colorado and New Mexico loss at Notre Dame (I know it is not final yet but pretty sure it will be an L). So just need to go 3-3 the rest of the way lol. Not gonna happen. To bad Fresno blew the Minnesota game and Utah State blew the Wake Forest game. Oh well 8-11 (guessing we pull at least one upset of the remaining games) is not a terrible record. Still a lot better than the AAC is gonna go (they are 3-9 so far). I know the AAC played a few more "elite" big-5 schools/lopsided games but our overall record will be significantly better. 

UNLV @Northwestern, Colorado State @Arkansas, Hawaii @Washington, SJSU@Arkansas, Utah State @LSU, UNLV@Vanderbilt 

UNLV and CSU could win their games today. Hawaii could score an upset too. UNLV could give Vandy a game too, probably, but the other 2 games (SJSU/Arky and USU/LSU) are probably lost causes.

2 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

UNLV and CSU could win their games today. Hawaii could score an upset too. UNLV could give Vandy a game too, probably, but the other 2 games (SJSU/Arky and USU/LSU) are probably lost causes.

Sorry about that. CSU needed to perfect their already amazing ability to collapse in the 2nd half. 

I have to chuckle. Been over at the Lair, reading comments from people about the state of the program after the loss at ND. You know, sometimes "Huge and insurmountable" really is. There isn't a team in this conference that will ever compete for a Natty. Yeah, I know, ever is a long time, but really? No one's fault,  but we can't compete with bank accounts and perception. Outside of the Top Ten? Absolutely, there are programs in the conference that can catch lightning in a bottle. However, Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, ND, "The" (non-trademarked) Ohio State, Auburn, Oklahoma? You have to get past one or more of them and national politics for the Crystal Football. Good luck with that. 

Is that a bad thing? I don't think so. It is what it is. UNM and MWC sports are entertainment to me. I probably expend too much time and money with them, but I am entertained...

The Mountain West isn't going to be P6. It is, and can be going forward, a fun conference to watch. Develop perspective. 

9-10 is final record vs Big 5/Notre Dame. 26-17 in OOC with 6 games left (3 vs Army 3 vs BYU). 12-0 vs fcs (ie no horrible losses). 8 teams won a game vs a Big 5/Notre Dame school. Only ONE team (CSU) has a losing record and only one more team, USU, could be added to that list. Pretty solid OOC overall should help us in regards to an access bowl if it the competition is a 1-2 loss school. 

BSU 1-0 vs big 5/ND 3-0 in OOC with one game @BYU left

Utah State 0-2 vs big 5/ND 1-2 OOC one game vs BYU left

WY 1-0 vs big 5/ND 3-1 in OOC

Air Force 1-0 vs big 5/ND 2-1 in OOC one game vs Army left

CSU 0-2 vs big 5/ND 1-3 in OOC

New Mexico 0-1 vs big 5/ND 2-2 in OOC

Hawaii 2-1 vs big 5/ND 3-1 in OOC with one game vs Army left

SDSU 1-0 vs big 5/ND 2-1 in OOC with one game vs BYU left

Nevada 1-1 vs big 5/ND 3-1 in OOC 

SJSU 1-0 vs big 5/ND 2-1 in OOC with one game @Army left 

Fresno 0-2 vs big 5/ND 2-2 in OOC

UNLV 1-1 vs big 5/ND 2-2 in OOC

21 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

9-10 is final record vs Big 5/Notre Dame. 26-17 in OOC with 6 games left (3 vs Army 3 vs BYU). 12-0 vs fcs (ie no horrible losses). 8 teams won a game vs a Big 5/Notre Dame school. Only ONE team (CSU) has a losing record and only one more team, USU, could be added to that list. Pretty solid OOC overall should help us in regards to an access bowl if it the competition is a 1-2 loss school. 

BSU 1-0 vs big 5/ND 3-0 in OOC with one game @BYU left

Utah State 0-2 vs big 5/ND 1-2 OOC one game vs BYU left

WY 1-0 vs big 5/ND 3-1 in OOC

Air Force 1-0 vs big 5/ND 2-1 in OOC one game vs Army left

CSU 0-2 vs big 5/ND 1-3 in OOC

New Mexico 0-1 vs big 5/ND 2-2 in OOC

Hawaii 2-1 vs big 5/ND 3-1 in OOC with one game vs Army left

SDSU 1-0 vs big 5/ND 2-1 in OOC with one game vs BYU left

Nevada 1-1 vs big 5/ND 3-1 in OOC 

SJSU 1-0 vs big 5/ND 2-1 in OOC with one game @Army left 

Fresno 0-2 vs big 5/ND 2-2 in OOC

UNLV 1-1 vs big 5/ND 2-2 in OOC

Pretty awesome, I wonder if even during the conference's best years with BYU/Utah/TCU at the top did the conference ever have this good of a record?