Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

There’s football tomorrow

Had a long conversation with my buddy today about this streaming thing. He's an F'in Boise fan.  Anyway, we're both in the camp that we don't know which way to jump to be ready for the next iteration of football broadcasting.  We've both got satellite for now, but it's getting close to the breaking point for choosing another option. In Boise he's getting a gig, so he's got options.  In my backyard I'm lucky to get 20mb download, so it is different.  Two different situations, but we're both wondering where the hell it's going to go from here.  Who do you get on board with???

6 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Wow, a Traeger!? What’s your specialty? 

Not sure if sarcastic?  Lot's of Traeger, GMG, etc. officianado's out there.  Anyway, if serious question...my chicken bombs are ridiculous.

The 3-2-1 Traeger rib recipe is lacking, but it turns out OK.  I'm playing with it to try and get the level I'm looking for.  I've got a tri-tip that my guest's (read as mostly family) do rave about.  I'm actually a huge freaking fan of my tri-tip.  OK, my tri-tip is my specialty. 

Tomorrow I'm doing some sliced eye of round that I've been marinating in a lime based sauce to make some jerky with a strong mesquite smoke.  Then the quick ol' country style beef ribs over hickory slathered with a little Blues Hawg BBQ sauce to be served with mashed potatoes and corn on the cob.  Hard to beat Blues Hawg.  Hard to beat BBQ.

One note about the jerky.  Two hours of smoke, then move it to the dehydrator.  Use Hatches chilies, and don't be shy about putting Mrs. Cholula into the marinade.

@LoboMan59, would love to hear your recipes.  I'm guessing you do this too.

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

Had a long conversation with my buddy today about this streaming thing. He's an F'in Boise fan.  Anyway, we're both in the camp that we don't know which way to jump to be ready for the next iteration of football broadcasting.  We've both got satellite for now, but it's getting close to the breaking point for choosing another option. In Boise he's getting a gig, so he's got options.  In my backyard I'm lucky to get 20mb download, so it is different.  Two different situations, but we're both wondering where the hell it's going to go from here.  Who do you get on board with???

YouTube TV is the best if you're a national college footbal fan. You get all the locals, all of the ESPN's, CBS Sports Network, Fox Sports 1 and 2, and all of the conference networks minus The Pac 12 (which is only available through sling). The only downside for MWC fans is the lack of AT&T Sports Network, though no steaming service offers that. I have to use my parents Dish Network login to watch any Lobo games that get broadcast on there.

4 hours ago, sebasour said:

YouTube TV is the best if you're a national college footbal fan. You get all the locals, all of the ESPN's, CBS Sports Network, Fox Sports 1 and 2, and all of the conference networks minus The Pac 12 (which is only available through sling). The only downside for MWC fans is the lack of AT&T Sports Network, though no steaming service offers that. I have to use my parents Dish Network login to watch any Lobo games that get broadcast on there.

FuboTV has all of the PAC12 channels as well and they show 4K broadcasts on some FOX games. But no AT&T Sportsnet

3 hours ago, TGIFaanes said:

FuboTV has all of the PAC12 channels as well and they show 4K broadcasts on some FOX games. But no AT&T Sportsnet

Yeah, though the lack of ESPN and any of it channels is a massive issue for college football 

9 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Not sure if sarcastic?  Lot's of Traeger, GMG, etc. officianado's out there.  Anyway, if serious question...my chicken bombs are ridiculous.

The 3-2-1 Traeger rib recipe is lacking, but it turns out OK.  I'm playing with it to try and get the level I'm looking for.  I've got a tri-tip that my guest's (read as mostly family) do rave about.  I'm actually a huge freaking fan of my tri-tip.  OK, my tri-tip is my specialty. 

Tomorrow I'm doing some sliced eye of round that I've been marinating in a lime based sauce to make some jerky with a strong mesquite smoke.  Then the quick ol' country style beef ribs over hickory slathered with a little Blues Hawg BBQ sauce to be served with mashed potatoes and corn on the cob.  Hard to beat Blues Hawg.  Hard to beat BBQ.

One note about the jerky.  Two hours of smoke, then move it to the dehydrator.  Use Hatches chilies, and don't be shy about putting Mrs. Cholula into the marinade.

@LoboMan59, would love to hear your recipes.  I'm guessing you do this too.

Actually I’m not @Headbutt, I’m a sometimes BBQ’r. I have a run of the mill grill, but friends at work have need telling about their grilling adventures, and I feel I should get more into grilling as I approach retirement, than plain ol’ stove top cooking.

The consensus with them, seems to be that Traeger, is the best grill to get, but are expensive. But a close second, I’ve heard, is the pit-boss, for folks that aren’t hardcore grillers, but want a quality grill. Something about cooking with pellets, that they seem to like.

And sorry, no, I don’t have any recipes I can share with you when it comes to grilling. But if you want my recipe for New Mexican Green Chile stew, or breakfast burritos, or how I roast piñon nuts, let me know! lol.

And oh yeah, I put in 2 pounds just reading about your eye if found and other fixing, sounds awesome!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

40 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Actually I’m not @Headbutt, I’m a sometimes BBQ’r. I have a run of the mill grill, but friends at work have need telling about their grilling adventures, and I feel I should get more into grilling as I approach retirement, than plain ol’ stove top cooking.

The consensus with them, seems to be that Traeger, is the best grill to get, but are expensive. But a close second, I’ve heard, is the pit-boss, for folks that aren’t hardcore grillers, but want a quality grill. Something about cooking with pellets, that they seem to like.

And sorry, no, I don’t have any recipes I can share with you when it comes to grilling. But if you want my recipe for New Mexican Green Chile stew, or breakfast burritos, or how I roast piñon nuts, let me know! lol.

And oh yeah, I put in 2 pounds just reading about your eye if found and other fixing, sounds awesome!

Get yourself a grill.  Lot's of options out there, but a wood pellet grill becomes a hobby in a hurry.  I'm a huge Traeger fan, mostly because it's very simple to use.  I worry about the recipe, and the cooking becomes a no-brainer.  You just can't beat cooking with wood, and a pellet grill is the best.  And yes!  I love Green Chile Stew. Please feel free to share that recipe along with the breakfast burritos and pinon roasting.

Ugly Drum Smoker aka UDS is where it's at.  It's so simple to use and makes the best bbq.  There is something about the fat dripping on the coals and wood.  I always hear people bragging about their Traeger and Green Eggs and then am disappointed when I taste their food.  Two tri-tips going on later today with some ABT's(bacon wrapped jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese).  It's football season!

15 hours ago, SJ PRIDE said:

Ugly Drum Smoker aka UDS is where it's at.  It's so simple to use and makes the best bbq.  There is something about the fat dripping on the coals and wood.  I always hear people bragging about their Traeger and Green Eggs and then am disappointed when I taste their food.  Two tri-tips going on later today with some ABT's(bacon wrapped jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese).  It's football season!

I agree.  I will put my meat vs any Traeger meat.  TLC is important when you smoke

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I agree.  I will put my meat vs any Traeger meat.  TLC is important when you smoke

I know the generic TLC(tender loving care) obviously, but is this a different TLC that pertains to BBQ?

BTW, tri-tips turned out great as always.  Pulled at 140, sliced thin for sandwiches for a bunch of teenage boys ;)

Just go stream the games on Reddit if nothing else. 99% of the time they're on there and the feeds are really pretty great almost universally. Best of all, it's free.

On 8/24/2019 at 9:39 AM, SJ PRIDE said:

OK, I googled UDS and am interested.  Did you build your own?  It definitely sounds far less convenient than a pellet grill, but I can see some advantages.

8 hours ago, Headbutt said:

OK, I googled UDS and am interested.  Did you build your own?  It definitely sounds far less convenient than a pellet grill, but I can see some advantages.

Yes, I built my own.  I was able to do it all with basic tools and no welding.  BBQ Brethren is the website that really popularized them.  The biggest thing I would do differently is to buy a non-lined drum.  The plastic coating they put in food grade drums is a major pain to burn out.