Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Negotiations With the Taliban

WTF! That is the dumbest move by Trump that I’ve seen. The cliche that “you don’t negotiate with terrorists” is cliche because it’s true. Negotiating with the Taliban for peace is like negotiating with the Devil for cooler temperatures in hell. It’s a waste of time. That’s totally something Jimmy Carter or a lefty would do. 

Is there anyone here that agrees with Trump?

kat.jpg

Yeah, I agree with him. We need to get out of Afghanistan. It has cost too much money and too many American lives for just about nothing.

The alternative is to, what, stay there forever? Babysit the Afghan people?

At some point we need to realize that the Afghan people have different ideas of country and of freedom than we do. If they want to live that way, then how do we have the right to force them otherwise?

Most people living in that area had been happy with the clan/tribal social and political structure since recorded history. 

Initially “negotiation with the Taliban” sounds really bad, as they are a theocratic oppressive regime by Western standards, but unfortunately, it may be the best way to ensure the public good over there, and preserve American lives.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

I'll be making my ninth trip to that hell hole next month,a little something I like to call the Tour de Taliban; Kandahar, Bagram, Mazar e Sharif, Herat and back to Kandahar. It probably won't be my last.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

4 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Might as well. It was functioning before...as long as the whole AQ element gets left out of it. 

Come to an agreement, but let them know if those camps get set up again, it's clobberin' time. 

Nobody ever really wins there. 

Throughout history.

cerified_Subarus.jpg

35 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

I'll be making my ninth trip to that hell hole next month,a little something I like to call the Tour de Taliban; Kandahar, Bagram, Mazar e Sharif, Herat and back to Kandahar. It probably won't be my last.

Be safe!  Son-in-law has spent a lot of time in that part of the world.  Daughter was a month away to deploy from Oki but got sent to Miramar.  Actually, made my SIL happy - he said he didn't think he could effectively do his job if he was worrying about her being somewhere in that sandbox.  Then her Miramar unit was prepping to deploy when she got her EAS. Several jokes about if she had been deployed, because they had an infant son, about meeting in the desert somewhere every Sunday afternoon to trade off. LOL

down in a hole.jpg

23 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

Throughout history.

22 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Alexander the Great was the last person to really "conquer" that area, and it seemingly collapsed again once he got poisoned. 

It's a mess...you can only rent those tribes, you can't buy them off. 

There’s a reason they call it the graveyard of empires.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

39 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

Be safe!  Son-in-law has spent a lot of time in that part of the world.  Daughter was a month away to deploy from Oki but got sent to Miramar.  Actually, made my SIL happy - he said he didn't think he could effectively do his job if he was worrying about her being somewhere in that sandbox.  Then her Miramar unit was prepping to deploy when she got her EAS. Several jokes about if she had been deployed, because they had an infant son, about meeting in the desert somewhere every Sunday afternoon to trade off. LOL

Thanks. Lots of people with guns to keep me safe. The only real danger I face is the food at Mazar e Sharif. German cooks. If I can make it Herat I'll be fine. They have Italian cooks.  :)

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

10 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

WTF! That is the dumbest move by Trump that I’ve seen. The cliche that “you don’t negotiate with terrorists” is cliche because it’s true. Negotiating with the Taliban for peace is like negotiating with the Devil for cooler temperatures in hell. It’s a waste of time. That’s totally something Jimmy Carter or a lefty would do. 

Is there anyone here that agrees with Trump?

They are an inevitable part of Afghanistan's political future.  The Bush administration botched the operation in Afghanistan by converting what should have been a counter-terrorism operation against a transnational terror network into a full-scale invasion of a region policymakers had no idea how to grapple with and no vision for what happened afterwards. 

2 hours ago, Lester_in_reno said:

Throughout history.

This claim doesn't actually stand up to historical scrutiny.  Various groups, including a succession of Iranian and Turkic groups, and more recently, the Sikh Empire, achieved their military goals in Afghanistan.  The key for groups that had no interest in ruling Afghanistan was to recognize such and conduct themselves accordingly. 

10 minutes ago, JADogs05 said:

This claim doesn't actually stand up to historical scrutiny.  Various groups, including a succession of Iranian and Turkic groups, and more recently, the Sikh Empire, achieved their military goals in Afghanistan.  The key for groups that had no interest in ruling Afghanistan was to recognize such and conduct themselves accordingly. 

OK, "Western" nations.

cerified_Subarus.jpg

3 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

OK, "Western" nations.

That's more accurate.  Even with all-out warfare the Soviet Union could only establish tenuous control over a narrow belt of land around Afghanistan's principal freeway system.  Fully 1/3 of all Afghans were displaced during the Soviet invasion.  Even then, their convoys were often attacked in between outposts, often with heavy casualties. 

I agree with what Trump is doing except for the Taliban. He is going to leave in some troops to monitor the place so if they need to do an operation, they’ll be able to do it quickly. The Taliban will lie and never do what they say. Some you guys and Trump are doing a damn good Chamberlain imitation. 

kat.jpg

7 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

I agree with what Trump is doing except for the Taliban. He is going to leave in some troops to monitor the place so if they need to do an operation, they’ll be able to do it quickly. The Taliban will lie and never do what they say. Some you guys and Trump are doing a damn good Chamberlain imitation. 

How are "some troops" going to police the entire Afghan countryside?  The US has very little presence in Afghanistan outside of the major cities as it is. They're not going to defeat the Taliban.