Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

A request

Could y'all keep my 8 year old in your thoughts/prayers. He's been sick all week long with a fever of 102-104+, had a rapid strep culture come back negative on Monday, but the full test came back positive yesterday. Got him on antibiotics, but we've been having to fight him to drink liquids because his throat hurts, and started complaining of light sensitivity and a sore neck today. So my wife has him at the ER right now because we're concerned about meningitis. They've got him on IV fluids and are running tests now.

It takes a lot to get me worried when it comes to medical issues, and I'm usually pretty calm. But it was pretty much straight to the ER once he started complaining about his neck. I called my dad (primary care physician) and he said to just take him to the ER, no question... because even if it doesn't end up being meningitis, we need to find out one way or another, and the faster the better. 

Thanks y'all.

edit: he's back from the ER and doing much better now. There's an update post further down. Thanks, everyone!

That’s rough man. Nothing like your little ones going through difficulties to put into perspective how small all this bs we banter about matters. We all got nothing but love for you and yours, and we wish you the best. Hang in there man.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

I’m really sorry man.  There’s nothing worse than a sick kid and then not knowing what’s going on also is terrifying.   If there’s anything I can do please don’t hesitate to ask and will think good thoughts for you and your family.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

They just released him. His headache went away after they got fluids in him. They ran a CBC and his WBC count was only slightly elevated, which indicates that he's a) getting over the strep and b) most likely not dealing with any other infections. They said that we absolutely did the right thing in bringing him in, and that the symptoms he presented with made them very concerned about meningitis. They also think the neck pain was likely just to being in bed for most of the week. So, phew. Looks like he's going to be fine. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers and everything else.

That was a terrifying couple of hours though.

I will say a prayer tonight @retrofade. So sorry to hear what your son, your family, and you are going through.

EDIT — sorry, posted before I read through the entire thread. Happy to hear the good news.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

They just released him. His headache went away after they got fluids in him. They ran a CBC and his WBC count was only slightly elevated, which indicates that he's a) getting over the strep and b) most likely not dealing with any other infections. They said that we absolutely did the right thing in bringing him in, and that the symptoms he presented with made them very concerned about meningitis. They also think the neck pain was likely just to being in bed for most of the week. So, phew. Looks like he's going to be fine. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers and everything else.

That was a terrifying couple of hours though.

Awesome outcome, man, I'm happy for you.  I have a 7-year-old, and so the thought of going through this terrifies me.  Way to hang tough.  Hope he's 100% and doing annoying 8-year-old boy shit very soon.

8 hours ago, Wyoguns said:

Great news 👍. Being a parent is the hardest thing I've ever done.  

Truer words have never been spoken. Haha. 

I've got he and his twin sister out here in NC... they're my step-kids from my wife's first marriage, and then a 12 year old in California. It's non stop craziness with all three of them, but it's all worth it. 

11 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Rollercoaster of emotions man. I have an almost-ten-month-old and am not looking forward to sick days at all. Glad yours is ok.

Yeah man, the sick days are crazy... especially since you know that there isn't a lot that you can personally do to fix anything. My wife has to go into her office today, so I'm working from home to stay with him today and make sure that he keeps his fluid intake up. 

5 hours ago, retrofade said:

Yeah man, the sick days are crazy... especially since you know that there isn't a lot that you can personally do to fix anything. My wife has to go into her office today, so I'm working from home to stay with him today and make sure that he keeps his fluid intake up. 

So happy your son is okay!  Parenting is the hardest job!!  It also doesn't go away when you have grandkids. My grandson got really sick when he was three weeks old and he had to go to Balboa for a couple of days.  It was really hard being in Boise, with them being in San Diego and there was nothing I could do.  Only good thing is that Balboa is known for having a really good NICU.  Here's to your son driving you crazy (with things that boys do) really soon!!! 

down in a hole.jpg