Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rudolro

Electoral college

This again?

There is nothing in the Constitution that says an elector has to vote for the popular vote getter. 

A faithless elector is supposed to be some kind of safeguard against a tyrant.

It has been our tradition, however, for the electors to follow the popular vote.

59 minutes ago, rudolro said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/faithless-elector-a-court-ruling-just-changed-how-we-pick-our-president/ar-AAG8tdZ?li=BBnb7Kz

This is screwed up. Makes the popular vote moot.

Still don't think it it's time for a change?

Speaking for myself, I want to keep the electoral college point system as it balances power between densely and sparsely populated states.. That said, I also want the points to go to the popular vote winner of each state. I fear that in today's political climate, there are too many things that can go wrong, including corruption, by allowing each electoral voter to do whatever they please. 

14 minutes ago, CV147 said:

This again?

There is nothing in the Constitution that says an elector has to vote for the popular vote getter. 

It has been our tradition, however, for the electors to follow the popular vote.

I think there would be room and 2/3 consensus to amend the constitution for making the popular vote of each state carry all the points. Tyrants could still arise even under the current system. I also believe a better way to prevent tyranny is a robust system of checks and balances that makes it very difficult to pass or remove laws and separation of powers between equal branches of government. But this is just my opinion.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

I wouldn't mind it so much if it actually worked. Clearly it doesn't. They are supposed to ensure someone unfit is not elected. Instead they rubber stamp results.

Current office holder being the prime example. I know some folks really like him and what he does but he is manifestly unfit for the office he holds.

One of the Final Five..........

17 minutes ago, mysfit said:

I wouldn't mind it so much if it actually worked. Clearly it doesn't. They are supposed to ensure someone unfit is not elected. Instead they rubber stamp results.

Current office holder being the prime example. I know some folks really like him and what he does but he is manifestly unfit for the office he holds.

I mean, we could have Boris Johnson...

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

The EC is the "Because I said so" government rule for deciding presidential elections.  It's unfair, stupid, nonsensical, outdated, has zero basis apart from a history of slave states throwing a tantrum until the Philadelphia convention would include it, and that's it.

It is eminently stupid.  National popular vote is the proper way to elect a president.  Period.  

2 hours ago, CV147 said:

This again?

It's not this again. Did you read the article? 

This is a different animal altogether.

Our republic is structurally and intentionally way more elitist than people realize. Jeff and those guys were high faluting and had some high learned thoughts. They got to create a new country and weren't about to let a bunch of inferiors muck it up.

They tried anyway.

1 hour ago, mysfit said:

To me, he was the lessor of two evils.  Didn't like either choice.  I can't believe that with as many people as we have in this country, we couldn't find to viable candidates.  The 2020 election isn't looking any better.......

down in a hole.jpg

Just now, Broncomare said:

To me, he was the lessor of two evils.  Didn't like either choice.  I can't believe that with as many people as we have in this country, we couldn't find to viable candidates.  The 2020 election isn't looking any better.......

No.  He really wasn't.  He's a reality show clownshoe who has no respect for this country and its institutional principles.

Hillary is an experienced senator and secretary of state with profound respect for the institution.

People like you owe the country -- perhaps the world -- an apology.

1 minute ago, Orange said:

No.  He really wasn't.  He's a reality show clownshoe who has no respect for this country and its institutional principles.

Hillary is an experienced senator and secretary of state with profound respect for the institution.

People like you owe the country -- perhaps the world -- an apology.

Hillary couldn't give two shits about the American people.  She especially deplored our military.  Obama and her created ISIS by assassinating a leader who was now an ally to the U.S..  Which happened after Reagan bombed the shit out of his country.  Like I said.... the lessor of two evils!

I don't owe you anything, except maybe an ass whooping.  But you are not even good enough for the Best Buy parking lot.  It's Dollar Tree parking lot for you bub!!!

down in a hole.jpg

1 hour ago, Broncomare said:

Hillary couldn't give two shits about the American people.  She especially deplored our military.  Obama and her created ISIS by assassinating a leader who was now an ally to the U.S..  Which happened after Reagan bombed the shit out of his country.  Like I said.... the lessor of two evils!

I don't owe you anything, except maybe an ass whooping.  But you are not even good enough for the Best Buy parking lot.  It's Dollar Tree parking lot for you bub!!!

"Obama and her created ISIS"

Exactly what I expect to read from someone who repeatedly misspells "lesser."

9 minutes ago, Orange said:

"Obama and her created ISIS"

Exactly what I expect to read from someone who repeatedly misspells "lesser."

OMG!  I misspelled a word!!!  Take away my Mensa card!

down in a hole.jpg

2 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

OMG!  I misspelled a word!!!  Take away my Mensa card!

Mensa card revoked. @VandalPride97 and I banish you from our midst. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

4 hours ago, mysfit said:

Please elaborate about this some more...both what would make a person fit and what precisely makes Trump unfit.

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

3 hours ago, Orange said:

The EC is the "Because I said so" government rule for deciding presidential elections.  It's unfair, stupid, nonsensical, outdated, has zero basis apart from a history of slave states throwing a tantrum until the Philadelphia convention would include it, and that's it.

It is eminently stupid.  National popular vote is the proper way to elect a president.  Period.  

That fact that this ^ clown is against the EC makes me even more in favor of it.

With respect to your last bit, so you favor more of a more pure democratic approach? The fact that the USA is a Constitutional Republic is unfavorable to you?

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

2 hours ago, Broncomare said:

Need a heart button.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

And this is how we ended up with trump

What this country deserves. Not what people want to hear but there it is. Folks may not like Hillary but she was qualified. And because so many still can't acknowledge that, it's why America deserves this shit show we ended up with.

And why there is no point aiming for the middle. There is no middle. Not anymore.

One of the Final Five..........