Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crixus

XFL - Names & Logos Revealed

The names and logos for the eight XFL teams were revealed today. I give this league one year, two tops. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27433395/xfl-reveals-names-logos-eight-teams

Putting a team in L.A. makes no sense. There's only mild interest in football in this town and if I'm not mistaken, this is going to be a spring league and in the spring L.A. sports fans are all about the Dodgers and probably now both the Lakers and the Clippers.

Boom goes the dynamite.

The league is going to have every game televised by either Fox or Disney.  And part of that is because they have teams in LA and NY.  The LA team in the original XFL averaged about 23k, which will work quite nicely in their 27k stadium.

Vinnie Mac is funding this league out of his own pocket to the tune of 500 million dollars.  It may not ultimately succeed, but it will last longer than XFL 1.0, or the AAF.  If the networks pull the plug ultimately, it wouldnt shock me to see him move the games to the WWE Network to keep it going.  He's desperate to be known as more than 'the wrestling guy'.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

GRRR!!!!

I wish they'd have gone with the Dallas Desperados, and just revived that old franchise!!

7c3724572508032d84a0925ffc1d93d6

I used to crack out for football so hard, I'd watch all their games...

Used to love this guy:

- https://www.myplainview.com/news/article/Record-setting-Dallas-QB-Dolezel-looking-for-2nd-8604351.php

New-Signature.jpg

1 minute ago, Jeffkills said:

GRRR!!!!

I wish they'd have gone with the Dallas Desperados, and just revived that old franchise!!

Used to love this guy:

- https://www.myplainview.com/news/article/Record-setting-Dallas-QB-Dolezel-looking-for-2nd-8604351.php

I just figured the Cowboys would move over no?

2 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

GRRR!!!!

7c3724572508032d84a0925ffc1d93d6

Used to love this guy:

Cowboys own that trademark.  They owned that team.

I was an original season ticket holder.  Games were a blast.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Just now, Wyobraska said:

I just figured the Cowboys would move over no?

It was a decent little farm league for us...

We used a couple of those Desperado players...

But dude, Clint Dolzell was like as effective at tossing out TDs as Kellen during his BSU days...  Total coach on the field..

You can't help but root for the XFL, which if successful, will only force the NFL adjust to things the consumer wants in an alternative product.  I'd love to see XFL flourish, while they play, "real football!"

New-Signature.jpg

1 minute ago, RSF said:

Cowboys own that trademark.  They owned that team.

I was an original season ticket holder.  Games were a blast.

I hope Jerry somehow absorbs that XFL team...

The NFL needs a semi-pro farm league.  College is only part of the equation..

NFL Europe was great!!

New-Signature.jpg

8 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Jeez those are awful logos.

I agree, and think the only half way decent one is the New York Guardians. I looked it up and its imagery is borrowed from gargoyles that grace many buildings in NYC.

10 hours ago, crixus said:

I agree, and think the only half way decent one is the New York Guardians. I looked it up and its imagery is borrowed from gargoyles that grace many buildings in NYC.

I kinda like the battle hawks. Mostly because I have no idea what a battle hawk is.

14 hours ago, RSF said:

The LA team in the original XFL averaged about 23k

Because we had no nfl team and had been football-starved for 6 years. There was a conscious effort to show the nfl that la was still a football town. They won’t draw half that this time.

25 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

There was a conscious effort to show the nfl that la was still a football town.

But I thought they didnt care?

Cant have it both ways.

But I'll play along.  Say they draw half or so.  It would represent a smaller attendance than any team had in the 1st XFL, but still not a huge issue at Dignity Health Park.  And LA wasnt even the best attended in XFL 1.0 - they were 4th.  SF - where they had TWO NFL teams - averaged 35K.  People were GOING to games.  They just werent watching on TV, and that's what killed things, because NBC was a co-owner of the league and didnt want to sink more money into a league who's on-the-field credibility was shot by the WWE nature of the product.  But things have changed in 2 decades.  A LOT.  Will it be enough?  Who knows.  The AAF cratered because they were severerly underfunded and rushed the league to market.  Neither of those are issues here.  They key may be can Vinnie Mac be patient and is he REALLY willing to spend 500 million.