Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

How did this guy get a grenade launcher?

1 hour ago, alum93 said:

So because we barely hit triple digits, we should ignore the devastation those mass shootings had on the communities, the fear of having 20 people mowed down in a couple minutes because a monster felt the need, the fear it can happen again?  I don't get the logic.  

Politically motivated assault weapon bans that people like you scream for get disproportionate attention relative to the small potential for saving lives.  Put even a fraction of that focus into addressing mental health, the obesity epidemic, prescription drug reform, cleaning up our air (common sense approach), etc etc etc and you save far more lives than banning weapons that kill a couple hundred people each year.

v0icAvfW.jpg

Just now, Orange said:

Insert "murder" for "gun" and then you might understand how +++++ing stupid  your reasoning is.

We have laws criminalizing murder, how is that working out? That's right you're supposedly a criminal defense attorney, you get murderers off, probably in more ways than one...

Just now, NorCalCoug said:

Politically motivated assault weapon bans that people like you scream for get disproportionate attention relative to the small potential for saving lives.  Put even a fraction of that focus into addressing mental health, the obesity epidemic, prescription drug reform, cleaning up our air (common sense approach), etc etc etc and you save far more lives than banning weapons that kill a couple hundred people each year.

Trump revoked the Obama-era mental health laws.

Trump is fat, and feeds WH visitors fast food.  (His rallies are obesity B-roll footage)

Trump has gutted the EPA, so air and water are not his thing.

We're all on board with trying to treat mental health, address unhealthy eating (remember Michelle Obama's crusade that all you righties hated her for?), and we're for clean air, water, and soil.  

The Republicans?  They want to arm up the crazies, blast carbon into the air, and shove cheeseburgers into every man, woman and child in the country.

How about you shut the +++++ up?

Just now, Uncle Juan said:

We have laws criminalizing murder, how is that working out? That's right you're supposedly a criminal defense attorney, you get murderers off, probably in more ways than one...

I never realized how stupid you were until this moment.  Wow.  There's certainly no IQ test for the Marines.  :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

How many of those 400M guns are machine guns? Seems like the National Firearms Act of 1934 (and more recent acts) were pretty successful in getting those mostly off the streets.

From 94-04, there were a tiny fraction of the mass shootings that took place from 04-14.

Why? 

Assault weapons ban.  But despite this, righties are still all about MOAR GUNZ!

Just now, Orange said:

Har.

We all know precisely who @soupslam and @Broncomare and @Uncle Juan mean when they say the "gangbangers" and the "criminals".  It's time for some very ignorant people to become acquainted with the very dirty, racial history behind the 2nd Amendment.  The only reason the NRA allows those laws preventing felons from owning guns is because it disproportionately affects black people.

Hey phucktard, please show me a post where I've used the word gangbanger. The dude in the OP is white. Excuse the hell out of me for calling him what he is, a phucking criminal.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Juan said:

Hey phucktard, please show me a post where I've used the word gangbanger. The dude in the OP is white. Excuse the hell out of me for calling him what he is, a phucking criminal.

Your statements about Omar were enough to tell me what you must think whenever anyone says "Chicago shooting".

11 minutes ago, Orange said:

Trump revoked the Obama-era mental health laws.

Trump is fat, and feeds WH visitors fast food.  (His rallies are obesity B-roll footage)

Trump has gutted the EPA, so air and water are not his thing.

We're all on board with trying to treat mental health, address unhealthy eating (remember Michelle Obama's crusade that all you righties hated her for?), and we're for clean air, water, and soil.  

The Republicans?  They want to arm up the crazies, blast carbon into the air, and shove cheeseburgers into every man, woman and child in the country.

How about you shut the +++++ up?

Teams and shit is all you scream at folks here. Take your own advice and shut the ++++ up yourself.  The first time you make an intelligent post will be the first you idiot.

v0icAvfW.jpg

34 minutes ago, Orange said:

From 94-04, there were a tiny fraction of the mass shootings that took place from 04-14.

Why? 

Assault weapons ban.  But despite this, righties are still all about MOAR GUNZ!

I don’t think “tiny fraction” means what you think it does.  But you’ve more than proven to be an ignorant dipshit with no clue on a variety of topics so it’s not surprising you’re wrong here too.  

number-of-mass-shootings-in-us-by-year-1

v0icAvfW.jpg

13 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Well that simply not correct.

image.png

Deaths in mass shootings have skyrocketed though.

mass_shootings_1982-2018.jpg

Currently on pace for close to a hundred this year.  These incidents are few and far between.  And I personally think we are past the point of a possible solution with the guns that are already out there.  Had the assault weapons ban been maintained before there was this weird cultural phenomena of guns becoming way more mainstream and cool than they were in the 80's or 90's I think we would be in a better place.   

Did any of you older people know a ton of people with AR-15's or similar wannabe "assault" style rifles back in the 80's?   I know a ton of people with them know and they just seem mainstream, but I don't remember seeing a single one as a kid (and I was around lots of guns in rural Montana).

7 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I don’t think “tiny fraction” means what you think it does.  But you’ve more than proven to be an ignorant dipshit with no clue on a variety of topics so it’s not surprising you’re wrong here too.  

number-of-mass-shootings-in-us-by-year-1

By adopting this train of logic that @Orange has, that the assault rifle ban was the reason for less mass shootings between 1994 and 2004 he is also not factoring in felony related shootings with 4 or more victims.  I am sure he will never use the same "x amount of mass shootings this year" that include those incidents, right, since few if any are done with an assault riffle.

54 minutes ago, Uncle Juan said:

FB_IMG_1566420989643.jpg

The thing is we don't throw our hands up in the air to defeat heart disease, alzheimhers, cancer, etc. There are literally armies of people and billions of dollars thrown at trying to reduce or eliminate the deaths attributed to those types of things. 

Maybe we can start by putting a proportional amount of resources, effort and money into stopping the murders?  

11 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Deaths in mass shootings have skyrocketed though.

mass_shootings_1982-2018.jpg

Currently on pace for close to a hundred this year.  These incidents are few and far between.  And I personally think we are past the point of a possible solution with the guns that are already out there.  Had the assault weapons ban been maintained before there was this weird cultural phenomena of guns becoming way more mainstream and cool than they were in the 80's or 90's I think we would be in a better place.   

Did any of you older people know a ton of people with AR-15's or similar wannabe "assault" style rifles back in the 80's?   I know a ton of people with them know and they just seem mainstream, but I don't remember seeing a single one as a kid (and I was around lots of guns in rural Montana).

I think the number of guns currently in circulation is the number 1 issue.  To compound matters you have advances in 3D printing.  You can already print yourself an AR 15 chambered for common pistol ammo (meaning you can't just target the NATO round or .223 ammo to get around the problem with 3D printing)

You can do one a few things that will make a statistically significant difference in gun homicide. 1.) Mandatory buy back and a complete replace/repeal of the second amendment.  2.) Repair our inner city communities.  This means building wealth (reparations?) and ending the war on drugs.  3.) de-stigmatize mental health.  Maybe a campaign lead by pop culture icons similar to #metoo?  As well as investing in it at a federal level.

Now if we want to combat these non felony mass shootings I am open to other "common sense" such as mental health checks, waiting periods and would even consider national registration.  

I think the damage from mass shootings is the same as any other type of terrorism.  While you and your family are statistically safe, stats don't matter that much.  It is the damage it does to entire communities where the take place and psychological damage inflicted on the nation as well.

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

How many of those 400M guns are machine guns? Seems like the National Firearms Act of 1934 (and more recent acts) were pretty successful in getting those mostly off the streets.

Kind of weird the mass shootings epidemic if you want to call it that started about 20 years ago. Why wasn’t it prevalent between 1934 and 1999? If you lived in a rural area in that period a lot of kids had rifles in a gun rack in their pick up trucks they brought to school. What kept those kids from shooting up the school yard? 

Could it be it mass shootings has more to do with closing mental hospitals and societal changes? 

28 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

By adopting this train of logic that @Orange has, that the assault rifle ban was the reason for less mass shootings between 1994 and 2004 he is also not factoring in felony related shootings with 4 or more victims.  I am sure he will never use the same "x amount of mass shootings this year" that include those incidents, right, since few if any are done with an assault riffle.

Maybe I'll only include "bowling alley shootings" or some shit so I can feel good for 5 minutes after posting my graph.  Wouldn't that be funny?

11 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I think the number of guns currently in circulation is the number 1 issue.  To compound matters you have advances in 3D printing.  You can already print yourself an AR 15 chambered for common pistol ammo (meaning you can't just target the NATO round or .223 ammo to get around the problem with 3D printing)

You can do one a few things that will make a statistically significant difference in gun homicide. 1.) Mandatory buy back and a complete replace/repeal of the second amendment.  2.) Repair our inner city communities.  This means building wealth (reparations?) and ending the war on drugs.  3.) de-stigmatize mental health.  Maybe a campaign lead by pop culture icons similar to #metoo?  As well as investing in it at a federal level.

Now if we want to combat these non felony mass shootings I am open to other "common sense" such as mental health checks, waiting periods and would even consider national registration.  

I think the damage from mass shootings is the same as any other type of terrorism.  While you and your family are statistically safe, stats don't matter that much.  It is the damage it does to entire communities where the take place and psychological damage inflicted on the nation as well.

You always have these pithy answers whenever ANYONE suggests a solution to the crazy gun violence.  "That's only 300 dead per year!"  Or "3D printers will be in every household!"

I don't know a single +++++ing person who owns a 3D printer.  Not one.  

Is it possible that, with all the energy you use to defend against any allegation that guns are any part of the problem, some of that energy could go toward solving the problem?  Once you're done taking a small bite out of every gun law with your "logic", you have to admit that a lot of those lives could be saved.