Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

How did this guy get a grenade launcher?

2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Why was he arrested?

Was it because of some of this shit or is that just what they found afterward?

I mean, most of that stuff is legal.

I didn’t read the article. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

6 hours ago, renoskier said:

Why was he arrested?

Was it because of some of this shit or is that just what they found afterward?

I mean, most of that stuff is legal.

According to the article...

Had Joseph Rubino not wrecked his car, he might still be living with a house full of guns in New Jersey.

But on the morning of July 24, Mr. Rubino was driving his white Chevy van on Route 517 in Allamuchy, N.J., when he lost control of the vehicle and slammed into a tree, seriously injuring himself and a passenger.

When officers from the New Jersey State Police began extracting Mr. Rubino from the wreckage, they noticed something unsettling in the van: a stockpile of assault weapons and ammunition. In a subsequent search of Mr. Rubino’s home, the police said they found more than a dozen other weapons, drugs and a box of neo-Nazi paraphernalia.

Mr. Rubino, 57, of Lafayette Township in Sussex County, was charged on Tuesday in federal court in Newark with unlawful possession of a firearm, along with several drug offenses.

The guy is a convicted felon, he also lives in Jersey. The two questions that should be asked are; 1. How did a convicted felon obtain these weapons? Answer: Not legally. 2. How was he able to obtain these weapons in a state with very robust gun control laws? Answer: He’s a criminal, criminals don’t give a damn about laws, much less gun control laws.

34 minutes ago, Uncle Juan said:

The guy is a convicted felon, he also lives in Jersey. The two questions that should be asked are; 1. How did a convicted felon obtain these weapons? Answer: Not legally. 2. How was he able to obtain these weapons in a state with very robust gun control laws? Answer: He’s a criminal, criminals don’t give a damn about laws, much less gun control laws.

If my eyes roll any harder I'll need medical assistance.  Thanks.  :rolleyes:

I picked mine up at Bed Bath & Beyond.  Isn't that were everyone gets their grenade launchers? 

down in a hole.jpg

5 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

I picked mine up at Bed Bath & Beyond BOOM.  Isn't that were everyone gets their grenade launchers? 

FIFY

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 hours ago, Orange said:

If my eyes roll any harder I'll need medical assistance.  Thanks.  :rolleyes:

I guess we should just sell grenade launchers at Walmart, Big 5, etc.  You know, since criminals ignore the law anyway and are going to get their hands on them one way or another.  Why punish the innocent who want to use them safely?  Plus, if i can stand up to a rogue military with an Ak47 in some future showdown, imagine how much a fight i could put up with one of those bad boys.  

Just now, alum93 said:

I guess we should just sell grenade launchers at Walmart, Big 5, etc.  You know, since criminals ignore the law anyway and are going to get their hands on them one way or another.  Why punish the innocent who want to use them safely?  Plus, if i can stand up to a rogue military with an Ak47 in some future showdown, imagine how much a fight i could put up with one of those bad boys.  

You can pry my suitcase nuke from my cold, dead, irradiated hands.

5 minutes ago, alum93 said:

I understand the point you’re trying to make.  But I don’t think any reasonable person would seriously support people owning grenade launchers.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I understand the point you’re trying to make.  But I don’t think any reasonable person would seriously support people owning grenade launchers.  

You are giving people way too much credit.  But point made.  One man's right to own an Ak47 to protect his family from the government or a home intruder is another man's joke about a grenade launcher.  I couldn't match the wit of Orange's example, but i gave it a try.  For the record, i am all for your right to have a rifle to shoot a deer or a pistol to protect your family, assuming you pass stringent background tests, pass tests every so often that show you are capable of using one like you need to for driving a car, and are willing to wait a certain amount of time to purchase.  

4 hours ago, Uncle Juan said:

He also lives:

an hour from Scranton, PA (more lax gun laws)

4 hours from WV or VA where gun laws are really loose.

State laws don't do much in small states.

4 minutes ago, alum93 said:

You are giving people way too much credit.  But point made.  One man's right to own an Ak47 to protect his family from the government or a home intruder is another man's joke about a grenade launcher.  I couldn't match the wit of Orange's example, but i gave it a try.

I did know an unreasonable person who thought people should be able to own rocket launchers and stuff.  I tried to explain that I don’t think the 2nd amendment applies to weapons of mass destruction like biological weapons and nuclear weapons.  It took quite a bit of persuading that a civilian shouldn’t have access to that. :shrug:

3 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

He also lives:

an hour from Scranton, PA (more lax gun laws)

4 hours from WV or VA where gun laws are really loose.

State laws don't do much in small states.

A convicted felon can’t pass the required background checks to own a gun.  If he acquired them through a private party then we need to fix that loophole and require the transfer of firearms take place at a FFL where a background check is performed.  

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I did know an unreasonable person who thought people should be able to own rocket launchers and stuff.  I tried to explain that I don’t think the 2nd amendment applies to weapons of mass destruction like biological weapons and nuclear weapons.  It took quite a bit of persuading that a civilian shouldn’t have access to that. :shrug:

I am actually ok with a .22 or .243 for hunting, or a pistol for your house.  I am not going to go down the rabbit hole of what's the difference between X type and AK47?  At some point, there should be a line in our society.  Well, some of us feel that way.  Hopefully most people realize grenade launchers are absurd.  

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

A convicted felon can’t pass the required background checks to own a gun.  If he acquired them through a private party then we need to fix that loophole and require the transfer of firearms take place at a FFL where a background check is performed.  

He could have aqcuired them before he became a felon, or his spouse could have purchased them, or a private party.  But with this guy's history, illegal means like trading for meth is probably the most likely scenario.  Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these originated from theft.