Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Sony pulls Spider-Man from MCU

2 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

So it’s basically universal approval? You don’t have any problems with any decisions? Or is there just so much material that nobody cares.

I really enjoyed both MCU Spider-Man movies, thought they were very well done. And honestly I don’t have any issues with the decisions, with one possible (minor) exception regarding one aspect of the ending of the most recent movie. 

What is MCU?

Should I be outraged?

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

It is really fascinating to see how far Marvel Comics as a medium has come.  As a kid I used to collect Marvel and DC comic books back in the 60's.  I literally had boxes and boxes of old comic books.  Back then comics were a diversion and not seriously considered by anyone except a small hard core group of fans.  Now Marvel is a multi-billion dollar business that large companies are fighting over.  I have to say I enjoy the movies for the most part until they start deviating from original story lines, original characters.  I am a purist with respect to the comics themselves and the subject matter derived from them like the movies.  But to generate additional interest, you have political correctness run amok.  The need to appeal to a larger audience base, etc.  For me personally it just dilutes the whole experience.  But for my children and my grand children they don't know any better so they enjoy it all the same. 

2 hours ago, SBBulldog85 said:

It is really fascinating to see how far Marvel Comics as a medium has come.  As a kid I used to collect Marvel and DC comic books back in the 60's.  I literally had boxes and boxes of old comic books.  Back then comics were a diversion and not seriously considered by anyone except a small hard core group of fans.  Now Marvel is a multi-billion dollar business that large companies are fighting over.  I have to say I enjoy the movies for the most part until they start deviating from original story lines, original characters.  I am a purist with respect to the comics themselves and the subject matter derived from them like the movies.  But to generate additional interest, you have political correctness run amok.  The need to appeal to a larger audience base, etc.  For me personally it just dilutes the whole experience.  But for my children and my grand children they don't know any better so they enjoy it all the same. 

Agreed.

I'm a little younger than you but my story is similar, unfortunately I kept my baseball cards (most of which are worthless now) and threw away my comics (some of which would be valuable now).

As far as MCU, I think Downey was the straw that stirred the drink.  Not sure how it will work without him.  They had kind of set up Spider-Man as Tonys heir apparent (which was nothing like the Spider-Man I grew up reading btw) but it was still kind of interesting.  Now, they might have to figure something else out.

Spider-Man was important, because he could go back and forth between small scale story lines and big ones.  Now, it's kind of a mess.  The X men aren't easy to incorporate either, they were always kind of a separate deal in Marvel, with relatively rare crossovers into the rest of the marvel world.

Disney will make plenty of money, but my personal interest is kind of waning.

9 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I really enjoyed both MCU Spider-Man movies, thought they were very well done. And honestly I don’t have any issues with the decisions, with one possible (minor) exception regarding one aspect of the ending of the most recent movie. 

The ending or the mid-credits scene?

5 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

I can’t believe how big baseball cards got back in the 90’s. Then everyone figured out that tons of stuff was fake and so wide spread that no one wanted to spend money on it anymore.

Go whine about 538 being mean to your orange hero or something.

This is too bad and I hope they get it worked out. I think both sides would be fine in the long run though. The MCu will be hurt because I am sure they have some long range plans for Spiderman and had him taking a bigger part but they have so many other characters they will be fine. Sony can move one and continue from the two previous movies and just not reference the MCU anymore as he gets in deep with his own stories. The Andrew Garfield moveis were bad and I didn't like Venom but  last year Sony did make the best Spiderman movie ever made (Into the Spiderverse) so it isn't like they can't do it. Hope it works out but if it doesn't everything should be fine.

2 minutes ago, tspoke said:

This is too bad and I hope they get it worked out. I think both sides would be fine in the long run though. The MCu will be hurt because I am sure they have some long range plans for Spiderman and had him taking a bigger part but they have so many other characters they will be fine. Sony can move one and continue from the two previous movies and just not reference the MCU anymore as he gets in deep with his own stories. The Andrew Garfield moveis were bad and I didn't like Venom but  last year Sony did make the best Spiderman movie ever made (Into the Spiderverse) so it isn't like they can't do it. Hope it works out but if it doesn't everything should be fine.

That's rumored to be a big sticking issue between Disney/Feige and Sony though... the word is that Feige played a huge part in Into the Spider-Verse, and Sony didn't want to give him any credits for it.

36 minutes ago, tspoke said:

I liked the Amazing Spiderman movies a lot.  Thought the Gwen Stacy storyline was authentic to the comics.

Venom I thought was ok because my expectations were low.

I didn't like the cartoon movie at all.  I know the reviews were great, and my kid liked, but I found it boring.

38 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Sony just bought the game studio that made the Spider Man videogame for the PS4.  Perhaps some relation in this mess?

https://kotaku.com/sony-buys-spider-man-developer-insomniac-games-1837378300

Likely unrelated. Insomniac had a choice of which Marvel property they wanted to license to adapt to a video game, but that license is non-exclusive. 

13 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

I didn't like the cartoon movie at all.  I know the reviews were great, and my kid liked, but I found it boring.

That's ok we are all entitled to our opinions......whether they are correct or very very wrong like this one.

:)

3 hours ago, CPslograd said:

I liked the Amazing Spiderman movies a lot.  Thought the Gwen Stacy storyline was authentic to the comics.

Venom I thought was ok because my expectations were low.

Dang, you didn't like "Into the Spider-Verse"? I thought it was awesome. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

He's back!

After briefly breaking up, Sony Pictures and Marvel have found a way to get back in the Spider-Man business together.

On Friday, the two companies jointly announced that Marvel Studios and its president, Kevin Feige, will produce the third film in the “Spider-Man: Homecoming” series. It will once again feature Tom Holland reprising his role as the titular hero. The rumor mill roared back to life this week with hints that the two companies were close to brokering a new agreement.
--------

The new deal was signed late on Thursday night. Negotiations involved top players from both studios, including Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothman, Feige and Walt Disney Studios co-chairs Alan Horn and Alan Bergman. In exchange for lending Feige’s producing prowess, Marvel and Disney will receive roughly 25% of the profits, according to insiders. Disney will retain its merchandising rights and will put up roughly a quarter of the financing. As part of the arrangement, Spider-Man will also appear in one future Marvel Studios film.

The film is scheduled for release on July 16, 2021. Amy Pascal will also produce through Pascal Pictures, as she has on the first two Holland-led films.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/sony-marvel-tom-holland-spider-man-1203351489/

Oh shit, that means all of these MCU properties are coming out in 2021...

• Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (February)
  • WandaVision (Early 2021)
  • Loki (Early 2021)
  • Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (May)
  • Spider-Man 3 (July)
  • What If...? (Mid- 2021)
  • Thor: Love and Thunder (November)
  • Hawkeye (Late 2021)

Thank you drunk Tom Holland!!!!!!

Tom Holland’s Spider-Man got close to leaving the Marvel Cinematic Universe over the summer when word got out that Disney and Sony were failing to come to terms on a new agreement to share the character. Holland proved to be an instrumental figure in bringing the two studios together to find common ground. During the actor’s December 4 appearance on “Jimmy Kimmel Live!,” Holland told his side of the Disney-Sony split drama. The story memorably includes a drunken phone call with Disney CEO Bob Iger that left Holland in tears.

“We were at D23 and the news came out and I was obviously devastated,” Holland remembered. “It was awful. I asked if I could get Bob Iger’s email because I just wanted to say, ‘Thank you, this has been an amazing five years of my life. Thank you for changing my life in the best way and I hope that we can work together in the future.’ I got his email and I sent him the email and he responded very quickly saying he’d want to jump on the phone and asked when I was free.”

Holland continued, “So, two, three days go by and then my family and I went to the pub quiz in our local town. We’re doing a quiz and I’m three pints in, haven’t eaten much, and I get a phone call from an unknown number and I have a feeling. I’m like, ‘I think this is Bob Iger but I’m drunk.’”

A drunken Holland picked up the phone and “wept” to Iger over the possibility of his Spider-Man character being removed from the MCU because of the studios’ disagreement. “I was really emotional because I felt like it was all coming to an end,” Holland said.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/12/tom-holland-drunk-phone-call-saved-spider-man-mcu-exit-1202194520/