Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Sony pulls Spider-Man from MCU

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Also, I mean.... Disney nets like $12.5B/yr... just +++++ing buy the Spider-Man rights back from Sony.

Disney: “Hey Sony here’s $5 billion for the rights to Spider-Man”

Sony:  “you’ll get extra miles if you charge it”. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

What the shit!? Man this is going to really eff up the overarching MCU plot moving forward; they can’t just pretend he doesn’t exist, so they are going to have to come up with some stupid reason why he just disappears. I mean I guess this means we will get a Tom Holland Spider-Man, Tom Hardy Venom, Woody Harrelson Carnage crossover, so that’s cool.... except Sony is making it so it’ll probably be trash. 

Just now, mugtang said:

Disney: “Hey Sony here’s $5 billion for the rights to Spider-Man”

Sony:  “you’ll get extra miles if you charge it”. 

I mean, that'd be like 3.8% of Disney's net valuation... that's not to say it wouldn't be expensive, but the earning power of Spider-Man is pretty significant.

I'm also reading that this all had to do with Feige wanting producer credits and Sony not being willing to give them to him, even with Disney agreeing to reduce their earnings. +++++ Sony. I can't wait to see Disney/MCU release the Fantastic Four, X-Men, and a whole host of other IPs directly on Sony blockbuster release dates. 

Having watched only one movie, I think, do fans of the MCU think it’s garbage? Like, old asoiaf fire fans were pretty hostile mid run, and then everybody turned when they crashed the landing. Is there something similar in that world?

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

37 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Having watched only one movie, I think, do fans of the MCU think it’s garbage? Like, old asoiaf fire fans were pretty hostile mid run, and then everybody turned when they crashed the landing. Is there something similar in that world?

Think what's garbage? The MCU? Not even close. The Spider-Man movies? Not by a long shot. Sony pulling this shit? Absolute garbage.

9 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Think what's garbage? The MCU? Not even close. The Spider-Man movies? Not by a long shot. Sony pulling this shit? Absolute garbage.

So it’s basically universal approval? You don’t have any problems with any decisions? Or is there just so much material that nobody cares.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

10 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

So it’s basically universal approval? You don’t have any problems with any decisions? Or is there just so much material that nobody cares.

I mean, I'm not a huge fan of the first two Thor movies... but I still enjoy them. I could come up with some other minor quibbles, but the franchise is overall very well done, connected, and does justice to the characters. That's more than can be said about Spider-Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Venom (all three Sony films), X3: The Last Stand, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, X-Men: Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix, Fantastic Four, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Fantastic Four (2015), Punisher: War Zone, Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider, Hulk, Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad, or Justice League. I'm sure there are some other bad comic book movies that I left out... but by and large, the MCU movies have been excellent. Some haven't been as good as others, but I've found all of the enjoyable with the possible exception of The Incredible Hulk, but that's mostly because it wasn't truly an MCU movie as Universal owned the rights and exerted created control over it, but it was shoehorned into the MCU. 

Ultimately, Sony is trying this because they want to launch their own version of an MCU with the properties that they own, which are effectively all Spider-Man centric. They had Venom, which in my opinion was terrible, and now they're launching Morbius next year... and I think if this stands, the Mouse is going to drop one of their MCU movies right on top of its release dates.