Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ridgeview2

My students think Trump is a dictator

17 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

It sucks that we’ve gotten to this point as a society where children have to live in fear of the POTUS. I’m afraid we’ve only experienced the beginning of what is to come. 

Depends on the next election and if the “decent” people of this country stand up and say enough.   

3 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

The bolded is absolutely key regardless of how you feel about Trump. He may want to be a dictator, but the system will not currently allow it.

Like the US, the Philippines is a constitutional democracy yet Duterte has become a virtual dictator through his cult of personality. As such, human rights violations by the government are virtually condoned by the legislative and judicial branches. Our democracy may be stronger than that of the Philippines but it's naive to think our president couldn't possibly become a virtual dictator if the other two branches of government simply act in lock step with his wishes.

Boom goes the dynamite.

11 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Like the US, the Philippines is a constitutional democracy yet Duterte has become a virtual dictator through his cult of personality. As such, human rights violations by the government are virtually condoned by the legislative and judicial branches. Our democracy may be stronger than that of the Philippines but it's naive to think our president couldn't possibly become a virtual dictator if the other two branches of government simply act in lock step with his wishes.

They don’t though. The fears of 2016 were wildly overblown. He’s just a bad President. We’ve survived a lot of bad Presidents.

#MuhInstitutionsPrevailed

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

11 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

If you look at the Senate we are closer to this point than many think.  Trump is also working to reshape the Judiciary.   Democracy doesn’t come for free and must be protected.  Ask Amish 

41 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

This here would be great. You don’t need a teaching degree to teach what it takes to pass the citizenship test. I think a lot of people would be happy to volunteer if it was easy to do.

Knock out 2 birds with 1 stone. Teachers can volunteer to teach citizenship classes at night with the class fees going towards paying off the teachers student debt. You would have volunteers lining up out the door and around the block.  

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

2 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

Knock out 2 birds with 1 stone. Teachers can volunteer to teach citizenship classes at night with the class fees going towards paying off the teachers student debt. You would have volunteers lining up out the door and around the block.  

It’s not volunteering when someone else is footing the bill.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Guest #1Stunner
58 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Like the US, the Philippines is a constitutional democracy yet Duterte has become a virtual dictator through his cult of personality. As such, human rights violations by the government are virtually condoned by the legislative and judicial branches. Our democracy may be stronger than that of the Philippines

but it's naive to think our president couldn't possibly become a virtual dictator if the other two branches of government simply act in lock step with his wishes.

That could happen with any President, though, not just Donald Trump.

Plus, I haven't seen any evidence that Trump is trying to be a dictator.    What laws has have been passed that you think evidence him being a dictator?

38 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

If you look at the Senate we are closer to this point than many think.  Trump is also working to reshape the Judiciary.   Democracy doesn’t come for free and must be protected.  Ask Amish 

I've been through this with Lawlor and I see and understand his valid points, but I'm still sympatico with you on this to the extent populism is dangerous to the institutions. Our institutions are only strong and constraining if the various actors regard them and Trump has 40% of us convinced that any attempt by those institutions to do their job to counter him is personal, incompetent and a lie.

26 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

That could happen with any President, though, not just Donald Trump.

Plus, I haven't seen any evidence that Trump is trying to be a dictator.    What laws has have been passed that you think evidence him being a dictator?

Of course, we were there once already with FDR and got the 22nd Amendment.  He also tried to pack the court.   In Trumps case, it is more ignoring laws meant to constrain the power of the Presidency.   Why do you think Amish revolted? 

15 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Of course, we were there once already with FDR and got the 22nd Amendment.  He also tried to pack the court.   In Trumps case, it is more ignoring laws meant to constrain the power of the Presidency.   Why do you think Amish revolted? 

Trump refused to buy him a horse and buggy? 

49 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I've been through this with Lawlor and I see and understand his valid points, but I'm still sympatico with you on this to the extent populism is dangerous to the institutions. Our institutions are only strong and constraining if the various actors regard them and Trump has 40% of us convinced that any attempt by those institutions to do their job to counter him is personal, incompetent and a lie.

And I’ve never doubted the institutions could easily be used as tools by an authoritarian tyrant. I just doubted it would happen, or maybe hoped it wouldn’t happen. It didn’t, it’s not happening now and the two best natural politicians of our era, Trump and Obama, have failed to make those institutions bend to their will. I could always be wrong, but looking at the field of candidates I don’t see one that could do it either. We are not about to live a nightmare, though the system affords it.

“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious People. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

And though it’s become in vogue to drag religious people in our time, it still holds true. 40% of people don’t think Trump is some messiah. They think his opposition are worse liars than he, that don’t have their interests at heart. 

2 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

They don’t though. The fears of 2016 were wildly overblown. He’s just a bad President. We’ve survived a lot of bad Presidents.

#MuhInstitutionsPrevailed

Wow.  Disagree completely.  

3 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

And I’ve never doubted the institutions could easily be used as tools by an authoritarian tyrant. I just doubted it would happen, or maybe hoped it wouldn’t happen. It didn’t, it’s not happening now and the two best natural politicians of our era, Trump and Obama, have failed to make those institutions bend to their will. I could always be wrong, but looking at the field of candidates I don’t see one that could do it either. We are not about to live a nightmare, though the system affords it.

“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious People. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

And though it’s become in vogue to drag religious people in our time, it still holds true. 40% of people don’t think Trump is some messiah. They think his opposition are worse liars than he, that don’t have their interests at heart. 

eh...so 20%? You've seen the creepy artwork and the rallies, right?  

And Trump def thinks he is the chosen one.

But I like you're first paragraph.  You've convinced me to step off the ledge for now. 

12 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I don't think Trump is a natural politician.  Obama and Clinton are examples of that, but not Trump.

Trump is just an incredible mattress salesman made more influential by a rich dad.

10 minutes ago, toonkee said:

eh...so 20%? You've seen the creepy artwork and the rallies, right?  

And Trump def thinks he is the chosen one.

But I like you're first paragraph.  You've convinced me to step off the ledge for now. 

masterpiece-web-small-filejpg.jpg

John McNaughton is an American treasure!

And I think the rallies are more 1998 professional wrestling spectacle to the attendees than anything else. He’s a comedian with good enemies as far as the crowd is concerned. But they aren’t Nuremberg, Trump is not a serious person.

Although he does see himself as a messiah. You’re right about that. That’s the only ideological conviction he has.

15 minutes ago, Orange said:

I don't think Trump is a natural politician.  Obama and Clinton are examples of that, but not Trump.

Trump is just an incredible mattress salesman made more influential by a rich dad.

Maybe Trump is more right place right time, it’s hard to tell how things shape up going forward. The rise of social media, the crumbling of the power of our parties, the failing trust in our historical media all played a role in creating the environment where he can thrive. So perhaps he’s not the the best, but the best fitted for the time. But it can’t be ignored, the Man has talent. He is funny and charismatic and knows how to force people to play at his level. I think this is a bad thing, but it’s true.

7 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Maybe Trump is more right place right time, it’s hard to tell how things shape up going forward. The rise of social media, the crumbling of the power of our parties, the failing trust in our historical media all played a role in creating the environment where he can thrive. So perhaps he’s not the the best, but the best fitted for the time. But it can’t be ignored, the Man has talent. He is funny and charismatic and knows how to force people to play at his level. I think this is a bad thing, but it’s true.

I completely agree with the bold.  I laughed at his Stern appearances the way I laughed at Daniel Carver.

It's less funny when he has actual power.

54 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

masterpiece-web-small-filejpg.jpg

John McNaughton is an American treasure!

And I think the rallies are more 1998 professional wrestling spectacle to the attendees than anything else. He’s a comedian with good enemies as far as the crowd is concerned. But they aren’t Nuremberg, Trump is not a serious person.

Although he does see himself as a messiah. You’re right about that. That’s the only ideological conviction he has.

wrestling. good analogy but dear god.